No room for a small bridge?

If you think you need a bridge on the layout, but there's not a lot of room, how about this sort of thing - the span is smaller than the width (double-track).

I was quite taken with it - nice stone-capped brick, and maybe over-engineered for a location where you might just expect a culvert:

post-6971-127039187073_thumb.jpg

It's just south of Doncaster on the line to Maltby, nr Loversall Carr.

If you think you need a bridge on the layout, but there's not a lot of room, how about this sort of thing - the span is smaller than the width (double-track).

I was quite taken with it - nice stone-capped brick, and maybe over-engineered for a location where you might just expect a culvert:

post-6971-127039187073_thumb.jpg

It's just south of Doncaster on the line to Maltby, nr Loversall Carr.

What RM used to call 'Prototype for everything' department! That sounds like a good title for a thread on here... :blush:

Looks like it was made from offcuts in the scrap box, or as an exercise for the latest intake of apprentices ;)

What RM used to call 'Prototype for everything' department! That sounds like a good title for a thread on here... :blush:

OK then challege accepted. :D

Bridge No 152 at Chelmsford is for a footpath under the railway with 6' 0" headroom.

Bernard

Here's one then, that must have some claim to fame:

Alrewas (station as was) full barrier level crossing (on the Lichfield - Wichnor line) and its controlling signalbox, provides access to a dead-end of only 100 metres of highway, Croxall Road (cut off by the realigned A38).

EDIT: It just so happens that this entire stretch of road is visible in the shot at the end of this link: http://www.derby-signalling.org.uk/Photos/AlrewasPrior.jpg

There's also the bridge under the main line just east of the old Plympton Station (50deg 23' 30.37" N, 4deg 3' 18.83" E from Google Earth). This was/is Coleford Road and had a headroom of 6ft in the late 1950s/early 1960s. It is not a footpath and may have been deepened, but at the time quoted was a road. I remember seeing a sit up and beg Ford Popular going under it and my father saying he'd never try it.

Archived