Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Warped baseboard.

• RMweb Premium

You could try to pack out the track so that even though the board is warped, the track remains flat.  The problem is that if it has started to warp it could get worse.

You could try replacing the timber(s) that have caused the warp.

But the most near bullet proof solution is to replace the warped board.

You could try to pack out the track so that even though the board is warped, the track remains flat.  The problem is that if it has started to warp it could get worse.

You could try replacing the timber(s) that have caused the warp.

But the most near bullet proof solution is to replace the warped board.

The board itself is near enough perfect. It's the slats underneath of which one has warped

You need to get the warped piece out.  It's no good so use any means possible.  You can try cutting into smaller sections,  If you cannot saw, drilling can normally weaken it enough to break it out.  Then find a nice straight section to replace it.

It is ironic that boat builders steam timber to make it bend round the hull, they should visit B&Q instead....

The board is the foundation of your layout.  If it is out of true it is probably not worth trying to bodge.  You don't say what wood you used.  I would recommend ply for everything.  Get 4" strips cut for the sides and ends, and use good 3/8" ply for the top.  DIY 1x2 pine is usually pretty horrid.

My layout thread:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127114-another-as-yet-unnamed-7mm-layout/

John

I'm not saying you have, but don't buy timber from DiY shops. There is a reason they usually sell it in bundles. I have a timber merchant near me and you can choose the pieces that you want. I've been using them for nearly 30 years for various projects and never had an issue with anything purchased there.

Bodge fix is to make a number of saw cuts in the warped piece of wood and introducing a number of small wedges to correct the bend. Depending on the severity of the bend slight over correction might be needed.

Replacement would be best but may do more damage....

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm just going to have a go at making a new layout with proper wood that can support itself. (Not MDF)

If you use 19mm ply for the main frame, 9mm ply for the internal cross bracing and the top and you will be sorted.