RMweb

Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

It was nice to stop and chat yesterday and to see the layout in the flesh. Well done on creating such a compact and excellent layout. As discussed I particulary like the choice of graffiti from the local greasy grebs,

Cheers,

Hi Mark,

Thanks for stopping by and for your comments.

I was very pleased to be able to bring Orchard Road up to another part of the country.

As I mentioned, you were the only person over the weekend to comment about the graffiti - well, you need to have proper bands adorned on the walls!

• RMweb Gold

Great to finally meet up today mate, the layout looks fantastic and I actually went and got a box of trees and some flower stems too, thanks for the tips. Sorry I forgot to come back for the lineside hut though.

Hope to meet up again one day

Hi Neil,

It was great to finally meet up and put a face to a name!

A shame that you didn't have that much time to stop for longer and you could have had a run on the layout!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the trees!

I'm sure that we will catch up again somewhere. I'll PM you later.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Was nice to see the layout!! very nice... :no:

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

Note sure if we had a chat or not - I spoke to so many people over the weekend, it's easy to forget!

We had a great weekend though, but didn't get much chance for too much of a wander around the show.

Very pleased to be positioned next to Chris Nevard though - managed to take a few photos of Polbrook and also a few with my 08. When I get chance, I'll sort my photos out.

The tee shirts were good and Chris kindly took a couple of photos with us wearing them at the layout. He also took a classic shot of my son sat on one stool, with his feet on the other whilst operating behind the layout!

We hope to get back up to this part of the country another time.

No issues with the running of the layout, apart from the occasional operator error, so that was good.

• Like 1

I would have taken a picture of the inside of the shed....but I would have had to climb inside the fence to get close enough (was tempted) , and there was no way to get up the side. This means I will have to trawl through the thread 34 pages!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

I would have taken a picture of the inside of the shed....but I would have had to climb inside the fence to get close enough (was tempted) , and there was no way to get up the side. This means I will have to trawl through the thread 34 pages!!!!!

Yep! That's the problem with the barriers! Puts the visitors much further from the layout, good in a way, but can be a bit of a pain.

The ones used kept moving towards the layouts with people leaning on them!

I will need to look at getting a mirror fitted up for future shows, so that the inside of the shed can be seen!

• Like 1

Very impressed.

In the picture posted by Jaz there are some half relief sheds on the left. These are the type of building I was looking for.

I was wondering where they came from?

• RMweb Gold

Great pics Richard :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: , Thanks.

Andy :sungum:

thanks Andy.

It's difficult to provide any different views and also more difficult to get decent photos under exhibition conditions. i'll take some more next time OR is out - 17th Nov 2013

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed.

In the picture posted by Jaz there are some half relief sheds on the left. These are the type of building I was looking for.

I was wondering where they came from?

Thanks

The half relief building has been scratchbuilt. I started with a frame of foam-board - a face and ends, through which the openings were cut for the windows. These being downloaded windows from Scalescenes and printed onto acetate film. The walls are then faced with brick plasticard and then painted a variety of brick colours, finally being washed over with thinned paint for the mortar. Weathering was then added once the roof and guttering had been fitted. The vent and down pipes are from plasticard. I've used humbrol paint for the bricks and weathering using acrylics.

Hope that this helps ...

• RMweb Gold

Looks very good, what ballast did you use?

Sorry if you mentioned it earlier i has a quick look but couldn't find anything.

Gary

Hi Gary,

The ballast is from Green Scene - fine ballast (2mm size probably) and a mixture of brown and grey.

Once glued and dried, I've added washes of colour such as the oil / fuel spills.

I find the Green Scene ballast to apply than most as it has a tendency to stay put more readily before spraying with water (with a drop of washing liquid or screen wash added) and then diluted glue dribbled on using a syringe. I used PVA on Orchard Road, but have more recently been using Copydex / latex glue as this remains flexible when dried.

Hi Gary,

The ballast is from Green Scene - fine ballast (2mm size probably) and a mixture of brown and grey.

Once glued and dried, I've added washes of colour such as the oil / fuel spills.

I find the Green Scene ballast to apply than most as it has a tendency to stay put more readily before spraying with water (with a drop of washing liquid or screen wash added) and then diluted glue dribbled on using a syringe. I used PVA on Orchard Road, but have more recently been using Copydex / latex glue as this remains flexible when dried.

Hi,

When you used copydex glue did you water it down like PVA, I have never used latex before, so am just curious.

SGJ

Yes, the Copydex is thinned with water / detergent as per usual PVA mix, you want a milky consistency. One of problems with the copydex though is the odour....

I know a few dodgy 'erberts I used to knock about with would disagree with you about the odour Mudmagnet.......

• RMweb Premium

Copydex is definitely the glue of choice for ballasting, although (some would say I was mad to do so) I painted it between each sleeper rather than drip it on.

This is definitely one of the few TMD layouts with the 'wow' factor; will you be exhibiting it alongside Treneglos and DITD next year? ;)

Thanks

The half relief building has been scratchbuilt. I started with a frame of foam-board - a face and ends, through which the openings were cut for the windows. These being downloaded windows from Scalescenes and printed onto acetate film. The walls are then faced with brick plasticard and then painted a variety of brick colours, finally being washed over with thinned paint for the mortar. Weathering was then added once the roof and guttering had been fitted. The vent and down pipes are from plasticard. I've used humbrol paint for the bricks and weathering using acrylics.

Hope that this helps ...

Thank you for your advice. It gives me a good plan to work from.

• RMweb Gold

Copydex is definitely the glue of choice for ballasting, although (some would say I was mad to do so) I painted it between each sleeper rather than drip it on.

This is definitely one of the few TMD layouts with the 'wow' factor; will you be exhibiting it alongside Treneglos and DITD next year? ;)

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your comments. Glad you like the 'wow' factor.

We've used copydex on the club layout (Tawbridge) and has the added advantage that you don't get the rumble through the track / boards as the trains pass - 'cos the copydex remains flexible, whereas the PVA goes rocksolid.

Still working on getting Treneglos and DITD ...

I've shown Orchard Road at our own show for the last 3 out of 4 years, so needs a rest. This year was only shown due to one of the layouts needing to pull out at the last minute.

I've a few shows next year, so perhaps you will see OR in the flesh then.

Stafford 1st / 2nd Feb

Hoddesdon 12th July

Warley Nov (can't remember the dates)

I've also a few potential invites - i.e. asked if I can bring along, but nothing formal

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your comments. Glad you like the 'wow' factor.

We've used copydex on the club layout (Tawbridge) and has the added advantage that you don't get the rumble through the track / boards as the trains pass - 'cos the copydex remains flexible, whereas the PVA goes rocksolid.

Still working on getting Treneglos and DITD ...

I've shown Orchard Road at our own show for the last 3 out of 4 years, so needs a rest. This year was only shown due to one of the layouts needing to pull out at the last minute.

I've a few shows next year, so perhaps you will see OR in the flesh then.

Stafford 1st / 2nd Feb

Hoddesdon 12th July

Warley Nov (can't remember the dates)

I've also a few potential invites - i.e. asked if I can bring along, but nothing formal

Hi Richard, I will look forward to seeing you again at Stafford, that will make up for me not getting to MRL :nono: .

We can do some Loco swaps if we are near each other as I will have Glen Roy there in Feb.

All the best mate.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, I will look forward to seeing you again at Stafford, that will make up for me not getting to MRL :nono: .

We can do some Loco swaps if we are near each other as I will have Glen Roy there in Feb.

All the best mate.

Sounds great to me Andy!

Always good to have a visiting loco or two!