Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on a couple more details for the interior of the shed today and plan to get these finished over the next few days.

Need to get Orchard Road unpacked at the weekend ready for Thorncombe exhibition the following weekend.

Also need to sort the running on my 06 (Judith Edge kit), of course out of region, but I like it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Too right.  If it ain't working properly there'll be no pasty for you, my boy.

To be honest, there have been times when I've not tested before loading to take to a show, but in these cases, the layout has only been stored for a couple or so weeks. Not used the layout since September (RMweb Live) so could do with being tested. I rarely clean the track as well!

I also want to add a couple of bits (on work bench at moment) and want to get glued down, so will do this over the weekend coming.

I may also bring a new small project that I've been working on .... I will start a new thread later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One week to go until Thorncombe!

Hope to get the new bits finished over the weekend!

Been trying to improve the running on my 06 today with Ray's assistance. We think that seems to be a pick up problem, so need to have another look. Will try and add more pick ups, but also seems that a few small burrs on the rear of the wheels isn't helping. May also look at getting a stay-alive for the TCS M1 decoder currently fitted. Will try a bit more running at exhibition next Saturday as would like to get running a bit at Warley.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It'd be good to have it running, it's a nice kit

It was certainly running better yesterday that I had seen before. Always ran well on the rolling road.

Put the layout up today to check a few things over and added a little weathering to the outside of the shed. Hope to get chance to take a couple of photos later.

• RMweb Gold

Finished the two new items today and just placed on the layout for photos.

The first is the a-frame hoist c/block and tackle. Largely taken from a few photos and cobbled together to something looking about right. The main frame is from Evergreen i-beam and h-girder sections. I start be making a simple drawing a piece of paper with centreline, two angled sections and bottom section drawn in. I also drew a line parallel to the base for the cross brace. Then, the two sides are cut, with angle ends, alinging with the horizontal pencil marks. The joint at the top is also cut to get a good joint.

Each section is then held in place along the lines using small pieces of selotape, one across the lower end and one across the centre (above position of the cross brace). A small angle gusset is cut from 20 thou plasticard to fit into the inside angle at the top. This is eased into place and the joints glued together using liquid glue. Next the cross brace is cut and glued into place. The bottom pieces of selotape can then be removed and a base horizontal section cut and glued into place.

The remaining selotape can then be removed and the whole assembly carefully lifted off the paper. Gently running a scalpale blade under the joints will help to lift away where the paper may glue to the plastic. This is repeated for the other end section. I also add a gusset to fit between the two webs at the top to stiffen the joint. A little section of the inner webs need to be carefully cut away.

A top beam can then be cut to length and glued to the two end assemblies. I added a gusset to each end to strengthen the joint. The block and tackle is the assembled from small sections of 20 thou and plastic rod. The castors are made from a section of I-beam, profiled at the bottom and castor from plastic rod.

Then the frame is painted and weathered using acrylics (Games Workshop and Life colour). The hook is shaped from brass kit fret and the "chains" from thin wire, as could not find a fine enough chain. At normal viewing distance, this is not too obvious and painting dark grey has helped.

The steps are copied from a photo in a book (Blue Diesels and British Rail Sandwiches). I started making a few sketches and estimating dimensions, from which I made a small drawing for a template to bend the wire. I used 1mm brass wire (although slightly too thick, 0.7mm would be better) and decided the best way to fabricate from as fewer sections as possible, ie minimising the number of joints. The first few sections being soldered and then additional pieces cut and bent to suit before also being soldered into place. The cross-braces are 0.5mm and bent into 'L' sections and then soldered into place. The steps and platform being sections of brass cut from brass kit fret. Holding and soldering the steps being a bit tricky, especially as the sides taper inwards towards the top, as per the prototype and cutting / filing these to length. A couple of short sections of wire form the feet and the castors made from plastic as before.

After cleaning and sprayed with Halfords grey primer, painting followed as above.

post-7854-0-83884800-1414948332.jpg

post-7854-0-46205700-1414948345.jpg

post-7854-0-14354600-1414948356.jpg

Edit - sorry quality of photos not as good as normal as taken on my tablet.....

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 7

But not from Devon ^ ;)

No need to be racist pastyist - we're very open-minded in these parts.

As long as it's got pastry on the outside and meat & stuff on the inside we don't care about its shape or crimping style  .  .  .  .

Edited by devonseasider

• RMweb Gold

We've had a good day at Thorncombe today!

Many thanks to the TRAC team (Graham etc) and Ray for helping today.

We were positioned opposite Ray Heard Railways today - who sell loads of used stock. Consequently, we had a few visitors today, most with sound! So Orchard Road was awakened with several diesel sounds! We had the camera man on hand to record the event.

post-7854-0-47401400-1415479883.jpg

post-7854-0-76577100-1415479897.jpg

post-7854-0-02775200-1415479904.jpg

post-7854-0-80370100-1415479910.jpg

post-7854-0-48935700-1415479918.jpg

post-7854-0-90911000-1415479925.jpgpost-7854-0-55541200-1415479932.jpg

post-7854-0-19507600-1415479939.jpg

post-7854-0-44523800-1415479945.jpg

post-7854-0-15092400-1415479952.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A good variety of visitors on show but for me that 06 looks the part sat in the siding.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The 06 is the Judith Edge kit - and very nice it is too - and need to sort the pick-ups / keep-alive before Warley. Certainly been running better today than previously!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I've got a Judith Edge Yorkshite DE2 sitting in it's box. I really should try to motivate myself and get it started. Might be easier with the wheels, gearbox and motor though, so I should really get those ordered this week.

Mike

I've used a gear box from High Level and recommended (usual disclaimer). I used a LoadHauler 108:1 gearbox.