Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

Hi Mud Magnet

It was good to see Orchard Road " In the flesh " at Exeter show

the layout realy does have the atmostphere of North Devon

fantastic detail in the shed and well weatherd stock fantastic work .

Andy Cornish

• RMweb Gold

A fine show,

and a fine little layout looking at its best( Even better in the flesh.) Nice to meet you at last Rich, and thanks for the tips. Now to the workbench.

Cheers Matt.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mud Magnet

It was good to see Orchard Road " In the flesh " at Exeter show

the layout realy does have the atmostphere of North Devon

fantastic detail in the shed and well weatherd stock fantastic work .

Andy Cornish

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comments and pleased that you like the layout.

Also, was interesting talking to you about the depot detail and that I have got the details looking right. Most of what is there is based on photos that I have been able to find in books and the rest from what I have seen elsewhere.

It's a shame that there aren't many photos taken inside sheds during the period modelled!

A fine show,

and a fine little layout looking at its best( Even better in the flesh.) Nice to meet you at last Rich, and thanks for the tips. Now to the workbench.

Cheers Matt.

Hi Matt,

Was good to meet you and put a face to a name. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers

Mudmagnet

ps - now reached 13 pages and 300 posts!

And ere we have North Devons answer to Del Boy and Boycey............................

post-1372-0-42677500-1307485840_thumb.jpg

Im sure they had some knocked off NCE Powercabs for sale under the layout the way they were pushing em lol!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

superb photos of a superb layout, looks better and better the more angles its taken from

Neil

The layout in the flesh is an absolute stunna in my opinion.The pics on here are great but they dont do it full justice methinks.

Hi, thanks guys!

I'm surprised how well the layout has come out and that there are plenty of angles to take photos - although I do have a few favourites!

When I get the layout back up (just packed away in the garage at the moment), I will take a couple of photos showing the new load (scrap) in the OCA that can be seen in Chris' photo.

Also, I want to glue down some more the details inside the depot and will also add some photos.

• RMweb Gold

HI Richard

The layout looked very good at the show and the NEC is good fun !.

Was good to talk again and have a play , well done .

Hi Darren

Do you mean 'NCE'? - i.e. the NCE Powercab

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

Most of the details inside the shed are scratchbuilt, using plasticard. The purchased items being the mesh depot baskets (painted red) by PH Designs, oil drums (Bachmann) and one or two items from Knightwing.

I will post more details of the steps etc later as I can't photograph these at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have added a couple of photos -

one showing the interior of the shed, with a few additional details, but still plenty to add! I will be adding some details of how made some of the details shortly.

I have also made a scrap load for the Bachmann OCA, literary from scraps of plasticard / plastic rods and pipes / etch brass. I was thinking of creating a workbench thread rather than keep adding to this thread.

post-7854-0-26073400-1307826273_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-69019400-1307826301_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-68195800-1307826380_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Darren

Do you mean 'NCE'? - i.e. the NCE Powercab

DOH!!!! I always get it wrongblink.gif , i meant to say the NCE Powercab , not the big place in Birmingham .

Like the photo of the inside of the shed you have done ,very good .

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Not sure if I have posted these views before, but spend a little bit of time 'playing' this afternoon, sat on a low stool and thought that these views may work. What do you think?

post-7854-0-25395000-1307905479_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-96127500-1307905492_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've added some details for the construction of the steps seen inside the shed, which are scratchbuilt from plasticard.

I use Evergreen plasticard strip, which I find to be the best available.

Inspiration for the steps comes from Diesels & Electrics on Shed, Volume 5, Southern Railway as published by OPC.

Each has been sketched out first, estimating the dimensions from the photos in the book, using the size of the locomotives as a guide. Each is drawn out on paper full size, which is used as a template for both cutting and assembly.

Both use 20thou and 40thou strips.

The single steps being 20thou x 80thou (0.5mm x 2mm), with the rungs being the same size. The first side piece is taped to the paper using a small piece of selotape and then three rungs are glued using MEK Pak, holding in place using tweezers. Then when tried a little, the tape is peeled away and the remaining rungs glued in place. The other side piece is then added - lying the assembly in its back and pushing the side up to the rungs - then flooded with glue.

The double steps are made in much the same way, except using 1mm x 4mm strip for the top step, 1mm x 1mm (40thou square) for the rear uprights and the cross-braces being 20thou x 40thou (0.5mm x 1mm).

When dried, the steps are firstly painted 'brown' (Citadel / Warhammer Graveyard Earth - a good base brown for wood), followed by washes of 'Chaos Black' and the dry-brushed with 'Bleached Bone' (a light brown).

Although a little fiddly to make, they are quite satisfying when finished. The first photo is a bit dark (taken last night when getting dark), but should give you the idea.The third is a little out of focus, but again should give the idea.

post-7854-0-71651000-1308597440_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-75585100-1308597449_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-98046600-1308597491_thumb.jpg

Fantastic Richard, they look great and i think i might be giving my self a little project, the finish is perfect to, i like the build up of colour really smart

Great job and thanks again for posting this

Neil