Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Whats the next project then Richard?

Well, the new project will be a different to this one - i.e. not a depot. It will be based on the Exeter / Barnstaple line, featuring a small station, with all but one track removed yet keeping the station building / waiting shelter / signal box / good shed. Plus there will be a small yard. I don't want to give away too much at the moment! I will need some more wagons though!

I will add some more details in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to the new layout thread, and good that Orchard Road is still in the frame and a few little bits to do

Neil

I don't think that a layout is ever truly finished as there always seems to be more things that could be done or in the very least repairs due to transport / exhibition damage! I feel now that it is time to put Orchard Road to one side and divert attention to something else. I am very pleased with the way that Orchard Road has turned out and the comments - so thanks. That's not to say that work will not continue - so watch this space.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

hi James,

Thanks for the comments! I'm not sure that I am a 'quick' modeller, but do tend to focus on one thing and then try and get finished, otherwise I end up with plenty of started / un-finished projects - oh hang on a minute I have plenty of those as well!!

The stone work was carved from tile grout. There are some details earlier in the thread, but as a re-cap, the basis of the bridge is plywood, over which the tile adhesive is applied. When dry, this is lightly sanded to get a smooth / flat surface. Then a small area is dampened with water and the stones carved. The tile grout is very hard to carve when dry, so needs to be damp to enable it to be carved. Working on a small area at a time works best. When finished, the whole stone work is painted using a light brown acrylic and then the stone colours are dry-brushed. All paint is Citadel Warhammer paint.

I hope that this is helps, but let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

A new loco has found its way to Orchard Road - although yet to actually be photographed on the layout - this will follow shortly.

A Bachmann class 37 has been added to the roster and awaiting a decoder before being run on Orchard Road. The pipe work and coupling wires yet to be finished at both ends.

post-7854-0-62490000-1314655750.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Standard Bachmann decoder now fitted and has been running up and down Tawbridge - just need to get onto Orchard Road at the weekend. Orchard Road currently still boxed up, so may just get one board up for photos only - all depends if I feel like having a 'play'! One of my neighbours wants to come over as well, so may be a good opportunity!

HI Mudmagnet

Very nice indeed , so you cracked and got one ;) ,always like the 37 myself

Saw a lot of them at Stratford shed in the late 70's , now all gone.

That 37 will look good on the layout .

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

HI Mudmagnet

Very nice indeed , so you cracked and got one ;) ,always like the 37 myself

Saw a lot of them at Stratford shed in the late 70's , now all gone.

That 37 will look good on the layout .

All the best

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks. I finally bought one, seeing that I have been talking to you about getting one for quite a few months. Was actually the same one that we saw at Minehead the other week!

That 37 looks very well weathered. Was bought like that or did you do it? Either way it is a great job.

Thanks mobi323

I've weathered this one myself, taking inspiration from several photos and selecting the elements that I wanted to copy.

I will take some photos on Orchard Road over the weekend! Looking forward to running it up and down Orchard Road as well!

• RMweb Gold

Hi

After a busy day, I put Orchard Road up again for a little run of my 37 and opportunity for a few photos!

37038 arriving at Orchard Road

post-7854-0-78682900-1315077068.jpg

Another view of the arrival of 37038

post-7854-0-68171200-1315077071.jpg

Awaiting re-fueling

post-7854-0-01204000-1315077075.jpg

A class 50 has also arrived for re-fueling

post-7854-0-35951600-1315077078.jpg

Both locos ready to leave for next duty.

post-7854-0-66548300-1315077081.jpg

post-7854-0-80851700-1315077084.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Neil,

Thanks. I've had a little run up and down today! I agree, does look right at home on Orchard Road. Might need to get another one now!

HI Richard,

Sure does look good,but that's the problem,the better they look.the more you would like....

Keep up the good work

Bill

• RMweb Gold

yeah go for it mate, how about a triple grey one hahaha

Ah, yes, a triple grey, but it won't stop with one though - I would need 3 or 4 then, plus a couple more 50's !!

I could go the other way time wise and have a couple of Warships / Hymeks / class 22's !

37 looks great fela and good to see a loco with big noses presebt two like 47's 37's got everywhere! So no harm in having one on shed or your layout even two you could get a centre headcode version next bachmanns latest offering with lights is nice and domino headcodes:)

Thanks Richard. I am quite tempted by the domino headcode, perhaps in a month or two!

HI Richard,

Sure does look good,but that's the problem,the better they look.the more you would like....

Keep up the good work

Bill

Thanks Bill.

That is the trouble - where do you stop? The original intention was to have loco classes that ran into Devon on a regular basis and the 37 is a little indulgent as they didn't run in these parts very often!

I am also tempted by a 45 or 46 which ran up to Meldon Quarry with the ballast trains ....

Very nice indeed. 37038 is a excellent addition to the Orchard Road roster. A change from the 25s!

Regards

Lewis

Thanks Lewis, does make a good change from those 25's. I don't think I need anymore 25's, although I have looked around to see if there are more for a good price. They do run very well!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

How about some 56s?

The could have worked a departmental or stone train into the area?

Hi Lewis,

That is a possibility, but to be honest not one of my favourite locos and there a few others on my 'I-would-like' list!

• RMweb Gold

One thing that I noticed today whilst looking back through the recent posted photos - was that the colouring on the buffer stops was not quite right. Plus along with the recent painting of the buffer stops that I did on Tawbridge (see thread), I thought that mine on Orchard Road could be improved. So, with a little bit of time today, I drybrushed a little more colour and took some more photos. What do you think?

A view of the buffer stops at the end of the re-fueling road.

post-7854-0-48375500-1315162996.jpg

The class 37 parked at the end of the siding through the bridge.

post-7854-0-46760500-1315162993.jpg

• Like 3

One thing that I noticed today whilst looking back through the recent posted photos - was that the colouring on the buffer stops was not quite right. Plus along with the recent painting of the buffer stops that I did on Tawbridge (see thread), I thought that mine on Orchard Road could be improved. So, with a little bit of time today, I drybrushed a little more colour and took some more photos. What do you think?

A view of the buffer stops at the end of the re-fueling road.

post-7854-0-48375500-1315162996.jpg

The class 37 parked at the end of the siding through the bridge.

post-7854-0-46760500-1315162993.jpg

Hi Richard

As you are asking I would comment as below.

They look a bit too bright to me,ie.fresh rust as opposed to rust that's been there for a long time.which to my eyes is a lot darker & duller.

The stops on Tawbridge are to my eyes a better colour, but possibly a bit pale.a bit too much white possibly.They do look very good though.

Either way both sets look excellent in the context of their respective layouts & unless you'd asked I'd not have noticed.

At the end of the day the effect you portray is the most important thing,which in your case is of very high quality.

Cheers Bill.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bill for your comments. Since doing the buffer stops on Tawbridge, those on Orchard Road did not look quite right. I think that you are correct though - I need to wash some darker tones into the buffers on OR. A task for later in the week I think. However, it is difficult to compare the photos from Tawbridge to Orchard Road as they were taken under completely different light conditions - but those on Tawbridge are generally a better colour. Not forgetting that those on OR were originally painted 18 months ago and Tawbridge 3 or 4 weeks ago and between that time bought some different colour paints and approached the method of painting differently. Ah, it's all a learning process and this is one of the beauties of our hobby - always something new to learn!

Thanks Bill for your comments. Since doing the buffer stops on Tawbridge, those on Orchard Road did not look quite right. I think that you are correct though - I need to wash some darker tones into the buffers on OR. A task for later in the week I think. However, it is difficult to compare the photos from Tawbridge to Orchard Road as they were taken under completely different light conditions - but those on Tawbridge are generally a better colour. Not forgetting that those on OR were originally painted 18 months ago and Tawbridge 3 or 4 weeks ago and between that time bought some different colour paints and approached the method of painting differently. Ah, it's all a learning process and this is one of the beauties of our hobby - always something new to learn!

Hi Richard

I suddenly thought whilst I was wasting valuable modelling time watching T V (but I do like George Gently ON bbc1) that I do have pics of buffer stops.

The first two are taken at Lostwithiel & the last at Par last Wednesday.I do have more but my catalogueing system is not that efficient.....

post-7844-0-36000300-1315171047_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-07226400-1315171131_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-14766300-1315171452_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

The track in the Liner Siding at Par in the last picture looks very much like its been weathered with one of those shades of paint that are supposed to not look at all realistic!! :D

Hi Mickey

Which just goes to prove I suppose.if it It looks right it is right.

I was making a building for my current layout today & I worked out the roof pitch with a protractor against a square on picture I'd taken of the building.Built it ,it looked wrong,adjusted it by lessening the angle of the pitch & now it looks fine when viewed against the original picture so it is all down to the impression that one gets.

As I said before,the buffer stops look great & I am sure there are pics of some as depicted.

Cheers Bill