Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work - you must have a lot of patience! - attempting finer detail scratchbuilds like this drives me bonkers crazy.gif

Hi Crisis Rail,

I guess I must have patience, but I actually find it quite relaxing sitting down and making a few bits and pieces. Also, from start to finish, these only take a couple of hours.

Well, moving one, I have made a couple of more cable drums and a ladder, as below.

The cable drums are started with 20thou plasticard cut into circles using a set of dividers - gently rotating around the centre, with the other end slowly cutting the plastic. Do this slowly and with light pressure and will gradually cut through. Then strips of 20thou x 2mm strips are glued on both sides, being over-length and then trimmed when dry. The centre spindle is a length of tube and then end plates (2mm square 10thou) glued into the centre and a small hole drilled. Each is then painted with Citadel Warhammer 'Graveyard Earth', washed with 'Chaos Black' and then dry-brushed with 'Bleached Bone'. A little rust could be added to the end plates.

The ladder was cut from two 20thou x 1.5mm strips. The first hole was drilled close to the end, though both strips and a second drill bit the same size (0.25mm) was inserted into the hole. Then the remainder of the holes were then drilled through both strips. The rungs are 0.25mm plastic rod, inserted through a couple of holes, glued and then trimmed to length. A Peco sleeper was used as a spacer between the two strips. The remainder of the rungs were then added. Again, painted graveyard earth and the rungs painted 'Boltgun Metal'.

post-7854-0-42625400-1309020318_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-33772700-1309020333_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Crisis Rail,

I guess I must have patience, but I actually find it quite relaxing sitting down and making a few bits and pieces. Also, from start to finish, these only take a couple of hours.

Well, moving one, I have made a couple of more cable drums and a ladder, as below.

The cable drums are started with 20thou plasticard cut into circles using a set of dividers - gently rotating around the centre, with the other end slowly cutting the plastic. Do this slowly and with light pressure and will gradually cut through. Then strips of 20thou x 2mm strips are glued on both sides, being over-length and then trimmed when dry. The centre spindle is a length of tube and then end plates (2mm square 10thou) glued into the centre and a small hole drilled. Each is then painted with Citadel Warhammer 'Graveyard Earth', washed with 'Chaos Black' and then dry-brushed with 'Bleached Bone'. A little rust could be added to the end plates.

The ladder was cut from two 20thou x 1.5mm strips. The first hole was drilled close to the end, though both strips and a second drill bit the same size (0.25mm) was inserted into the hole. Then the remainder of the holes were then drilled through both strips. The rungs are 0.25mm plastic rod, inserted through a couple of holes, glued and then trimmed to length. A Peco sleeper was used as a spacer between the two strips. The remainder of the rungs were then added. Again, painted graveyard earth and the rungs painted 'Boltgun Metal'.

Hi Richard

Those cable drums look real and they will go very well on Orchard Road.

Keep up the good work.

RAY70B

HI Richard

Well done on the cable drums ,they look a lot better than the ones you can buy. (are you sure you made them and not got them from big Chris's yard!.)

Well done mate keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Those cable drums look real and they will go very well on Orchard Road.

Keep up the good work.

RAY70B

Hi Ray,

Thanks. There are few of these on OR already and these two extra ones were made to help describe how these have been made!

HI Richard

Well done on the cable drums ,they look a lot better than the ones you can buy. (are you sure you made them and not got them from big Chris's yard!.)

Well done mate keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks. Some of the cable drums I have seen do seem to be lacking, although the Knightwing ones look OK when painted - I have used a few of these and painted using the same techniques.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Top work B) love the wagon loads they look superb.

Great attention to detail, look forward to more updates ;)

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm planning to add a bit more detail on the wagon loads in the near future. There are fairly easy to make and great fun. Plus, they are unique, being hand-made.

Hi Richard

Very impressed with the cable drums!! Why don't you start your own "cottage industry" selling those??!! 20,000 or so should be enough.......no problem!! I wonder what sort of 'look' you would get from your Bank Manager if you asked for finance for such a business?

All the best mate

exmoordave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Very impressed with the cable drums!! Why don't you start your own "cottage industry" selling those??!! 20,000 or so should be enough.......no problem!! I wonder what sort of 'look' you would get from your Bank Manager if you asked for finance for such a business?

All the best mate

exmoordave

Hi Dave,

I think that I would need to make quite a few, as you suggest! The only problem being that they do take a bit of time to make. The painting is fairly quick though.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Great work on the cable drums and ladder. Quality modelling Sir.

Love the photo looking into the shed with the roof removed, just shows how good the depot is and what a fantastic job you have made in detailing it.

Thanks for the comments. Still a bit of work to do on this inside of the shed, but not done anymore for a few weeks, but will get back to it shortly.

• RMweb Gold

I thought that I would post a couple more photos - taken when photographing the wagons loads on my workbench thread.

No progress to report on the layout, except that I glued one of the ladders (see earlier in this thread) into the shed.

Oh, I did have a little 'play' as well! Will have a proper running session shortly before the next exhibition!

post-7854-0-50172600-1309634811_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-04257000-1309634825_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I've had a bit of time today to finish off the details for the benches and shelves within the main depot building. The boxes have been scratchbuilt from 10thou and 20thou plasticard and painted with Warhammer paints. The large spanners were cut from 20thou strips - a bit of a fiddle but have come out quite well. A few other bits of plastic sections were cut and painted to represent various boxes etc. A few pieces of wire were wound round a small drill to make coils and these have also been added.

These bits have been glued to the benches and shelves, then glued in place in the shed.

Still a few things that I want to get added to the interior of the shed, but more when I get these bits and pieces sorted.

post-7854-0-71752400-1309724411_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-21471600-1309724421_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

HI Richard

Tools and bits look amazing ,just need some oily rags laying around , well done mate !.

I love the snap on tool draw a very nice touch ,top bit of modleing .

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

The shed looks good with all that detail. There is no ending to all the detail you can put into a layout.

A layout is never finished.

RAY70B

Hi Richard, those shelves and cabinets look amazing, some super fine details with the tools also excellent work mate

Neil

HI Richard

Tools and bits look amazing ,just need some oily rags laying around , well done mate !.

I love the snap on tool draw a very nice touch ,top bit of modleing .

All the best

Darren

Thanks for your comments guys.

A few oily rags wouldn't go amiss - a few bits of stained tissue should do the trick!

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I think that I must be going mad (not too to go though) - I've made a few more little bits to add to the interior of the shed, which I will get glued in place later.

First up, are some boards for maintenance schedule - these are small pieces of plasticard, painted black and when dry lines and scribbled marks are added with the sharp point of a compass. At normal viewing distance it will be less obvious that these are random marks!

I've also made some small boxes, one with oily rags. These were cut in the flat from a layer of cardboard (packaging), folded and glued with a glue stick. The oily rags are small pieces of tissue stained with thinned paint.

Next job is to glue these in place and will post some more photos.

post-7854-0-99563500-1309955729_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-33339700-1309955737_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

they are so good, love just even the idea of the roster boards, great think richard and the oily rag boxes...well thats just genius, great work mate

Neil

Thanks Neil.

Roster boards, now that's the name I was thinking of!

Flipping fantastic mate, the boards stand out really well, and i never noticed the fire door until now, that looks great too yes.gif

1 question, have got lights fitted inside the depot???

looks superb mate, i keep looking at mine and thinking " why didnt i think of that " , made your mark on my depot already though mate, they are fantastic.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

Thanks.

I will be adding lights at some stage - hopefully before the next exhibition at the end of the month in Barnstaple. I have a few other things planned though and may make a start on these later (once I get off RMweb).

I will make my own lights and have a few ideas how to get what I want - watch this space.