My shelf layout journal

Conrail Joe

I don't like the Eagles or Patriots. I'd rather they both lost if such an outcome were possible.

Though I suppose I'll have to hold my nose and wish less bad things on the team who sent us Jimmy Garoppolo for next to nothing.

Oh OK I didn’t know what you meant! Enjoy Jimmy G, nickname Aladdin for his looks. That kid is going to do great things.

Back to school today for me. I had a great winter break, I got a lot of work done on my layout. My goal was to have a layout up and running by the time school started, I’m really happy of what I have so far and I exceeded my own expectations and goals. I’ll still be able to do work on it during the semester, just not as much.

Edited by Conrail Joe

Just be sure to clean the tops and inside of the rails.

I think you have captured the weathering really well looks fine to me but just dont forget to clean the tracks.

Trackwork looks good although a little overspill of the rust colored weathering powder in places. Just needs blending in.

Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate the honesty.

I’m going to try a little touching up of the over spill areas. Hopefully I can correct the problem areas.

I attempted weathering the rail today some powders. Not sure How I feel about the way it looks. Feel free to comment good or bad!!

Just a reminder, this is an end of line area.

Don't know about US practice, but leaving the ends of sleepers (ties) exposed is a no-no in the UK. Perhaps just build up a little more of a ballast shoulder to bury the ends of the sleepers? 

In terms of colour and tonal variation, I think the overall effect of the weathering is looking great by the way!

Don't know about US practice, but leaving the ends of sleepers (ties) exposed is a no-no in the UK. Perhaps just build up a little more of a ballast shoulder to bury the ends of the sleepers? 

It depends on where and what your modeling,but it`s quite common to see tie ends exposed on US lines.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2384134

Brian.

PS.nice work so far Joe.....

Edited by Tove

In terms of colour and tonal variation, I think the overall effect of the weathering is looking great by the way!

It depends on where and what your modeling,but it`s quite common to see tie ends exposed on US lines.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2384134

Brian.

PS.nice work so far Joe.....

Thank you for the kind words!

Here’s a picture of the line as it sits today, (well, a week ago today) and un-used for about the past five years.

post-33331-0-58880500-1516828019_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Conrail Joe
  • Like 1

I toned it down just enough I think. I left the rust a little heavy in front of the large industry, mainly because that’s where the engine is constant going back-and-forth/ shuffling the complex HFCS tank car movements.

That industry alone can take up to 45 minutes to do a full switch, with four different grades of HFCS having to be spotted in a certain spot. And some of them are not ready to be taken back yet, Complicating the switching even more. Seven spots total for the one industry.

post-33331-0-33412300-1516829473_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-42779500-1516829486_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-73143600-1516829502_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-69954200-1516829523_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Conrail Joe
  • Like 3

Joe, maybe a silly question, but how do you keep track of which grade of HFCS is in which wagon for switching purposes? It is one of those questions I've been asking myself because it is something I'm probably going to need to d.

Great question! I write up a switch list for the incoming cars, which includes the grades in each car, and what cars are to be removed. The real trick is remembering where the existing cars were spotted if some are not finished unloading, and are to be placed back in their original spots. A few times I drew a little diagram saying what/where those cars are spotted.

• Like 1

Hello Joe,
I've only just spotted this thread! Sorry to hear of your illness. Railway modelling can be a really nice therapy,
and as you say, it's better to have a small layout than not have any layout at all...
Actually, what you describe as a small layout would be huge to me :) lol

Nice work sir. You've made some great progress in a relatively short time. Liking the fact that this is based on a prototypical location, and a nice touch, being named after where your Father worked. 
Really like the weathering and colouring you're achieving so far. I also use Matt Emulsion home paints, especially for ground surfaces. They're great and easy to play about with, being water-based
And you can blend them and mix them easily. Nice work sir, and welcome to rmweb

Hello Joe,

I've only just spotted this thread! Sorry to hear of your illness. Railway modelling can be a really nice therapy,

and as you say, it's better to have a small layout than not have any layout at all...

Actually, what you describe as a small layout would be huge to me :) lol

Nice work sir. You've made some great progress in a relatively short time. Liking the fact that this is based on a prototypical location, and a nice touch, being named after where your Father worked. 

Really like the weathering and colouring you're achieving so far. I also use Matt Emulsion home paints, especially for ground surfaces. They're great and easy to play about with, being water-based

And you can blend them and mix them easily. Nice work sir, and welcome to rmweb

Thanks for the kind words Marc!!

Don't know about US practice, but leaving the ends of sleepers (ties) exposed is a no-no in the UK.....

When comparing US & UK practice when it comes to trackwork, almost the only things in common are the rails and ties themselves. :D

It's part of what makes modelling US Railroads in the UK a challenge; making your layout look like it was built by an American - not by a Brit applying the wrong 'rules' ;)

It works the other way, too. A few years ago there was a 'British' layout in an American magazine, & the American builder - despite having a 'British Expert' friend - had made the simple mistake of running his trains on the right. :whistle:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Also depends on what you mean by leaving the ends of the sleepers exposed: fully exposed, or partially, and on era, company, location.

North American practice stems from laying track quickly across vast distances, where ties were spaced by the length of a workman’s boot between them. With such an approach, staggered railjoints - occuring just where they fall - make sense. As for ballast, there often wasn’t any.

From this evolves a different approach to suspension: the classic American 4-4-0* is compensated with the front truck (bogie) as one of three points, the other two being either side of the firebox. Rolling stock has trucks, etc, as the permanent way is often hard riding and uneven.

In the U.K., the track was part of the “total suspension system”, with deep ballast and the wooden keys to the bullhead rail providing dampening, accommodating a more rigid design of locomotive frame.

All “Americans” are 4-4-0s, but not all 4-4-0s are American.

• Like 3