My shelf layout journal

Conrail Joe

So do I - and a lot of other people....but they don't do them to UK ..................and have you seen the price!

The price is a bit steep. and that really stinks they can't sell to the UK... I'm sure someone will change that for you guys!!

Slowly making progress on more scenery. I’ve decided to model a warm January with melting snow.

I added some grated up leaves for the hillside, along with some typical dirty melting snow. I just placed an order for some static grass, and some grass tufts from a company out of the UK called wws Scenics off of Amazon.

It was harder than I thought to find the right colors to match the two separate tones of grass on this first picture. (Grass on the left of the track and grass in the background)

post-33331-0-67945000-1517315583_thumb.jpeg

post-33331-0-26950400-1517315601_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I thought those were just mock-ups? Or did I miss something? I wouldn't worry too much about it - all my "Industry" buildings are still imaginary!! :blush:

Yes they are supposed to be temporary, but....I know I can do better! I have another sheet of foam core board, and might give it another shot this weekend.

Not to much roreport as far as progress goes. I've ordered some foam core board cutters for redoing my main structure. http://www.logangraphic.com/products/foamwerks-tools/ 

I was using a razor blade and guide before, but these tools make perfect cuts, and look like fun!

I also bought some photo gloss printing paper for clearer and crisper images to print for the structure as well.

I’ve also made a major decision in this layouts future. I’ve decided that this will be the only phase of this particular layout. The projected second phase was just to add a run around track as per the Proto type. However, I feel but that will almost be a waste of money as it serves no real purpose for operations.

I still have plenty to do on this layout!

I’m already looking ahead for my next layout, which will still be the P&W, just in a different location in Rhode Island that I have always been fascinated with.

• Like 1

Here's a link:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/George+Bennett+Hwy,+Pawtucket,+RI/@41.877652,-71.3670321,666m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e45ca50bfebdd3:0x5d8905c545763eeb!8m2!3d41.877652!4d-71.3648434

It's in Pawtucket RI. I love this whole section following George Bennet Highway. I envision the final product style similar to Lance Mindheim's "downtown spur" layout.

It is still served daily by rail. I plan on Using photo backdrops, and foam core board/photo wall paper for the buildings. I'm finding it hard to control myself not to start the layout NOW!!!

• Like 2

"Pawtucket"...!!?? Don't you just love some American town names?? :yes:

Had a quick squint at the map link above, some interesting looking spurs there, & tracks running either side of the George Bennet Highway. I bet there's a bit of history behind the naming of Armistice Boulevard.

Thanks for posting!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2

I followed your link and took a ride along George Bennett Highway until I found the covered hoppers, probably plastic pellets hoppers. The silos look perfect for modelling.

I find this sort of location fascinating and it reinforces why I continue to pursue US model railroading.

I can understand why you cannot wait to start the layout!

• Like 1

I followed your link and took a ride along George Bennett Highway until I found the covered hoppers, probably plastic pellets hoppers. The silos look perfect for modelling.

I find this sort of location fascinating and it reinforces why I continue to pursue US model railroading.

I can understand why you cannot wait to start the layout!

YUP!!! the struggle is real!

I've been busy on the "slate" layout, redoing my main structure, and it's coming out really good. I've also went back and redid some of the photoback drop on glossy photo paper, and the colors really pop out now. I'm feeling confident that I will be deeming this layout complete within the next month or so!! 

I have sooooo many ideas and plan for the new layout!!

What an absolutely fascinating ride down the highway there!

I half expected to see tanker cars full of Pawtuckett Breweries  Patriot Ale, as sold in the The Busted Clam ;)

HAHA!! funny you should mention that. There is a bar on GB highway called the Patriot bar and grill. I was planning on throwing some Family guy references in that structure!

• Like 2

at the end of the session there was an unintentional RACE!! My train IPWO(Inland Paper to Worcester) Vs. DAWO (Davisville to Worcester) The race lasted from the warwick bridge (NEC corridor) to valley falls, and drew a crowd of off duty operators in the crew lounge. IPWO won because DAWO had to pick up cars at Valley Falls yard

• Like 1