RMweb

FLYING SCOTSMAN B R BLUE ?.

DonnyRailMan

R1082 Premier Box Set, Right Hand Drive, nc Streamlined tender, A3 boiler.

I think they were a Marks and Spencer commission.

post-23233-0-97630600-1513954139.jpg

60103 Express Blue

If I recall correctly, Prince Palatine has been done in Blue a couple of times, once with the old tooling and again in the Master Cutler Premier set R1074.

"Robert the Devil" was also done in Blue in the old tooling.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifexpress blue.jpg

60103 Express Blue

If I recall correctly, Prince Palatine has been done in Blue a couple of times, once with the old tooling and again in the Master Cutler Premier set R1074.

I doubt we’ll see Flying Scotsman until NRM repaint their 12 inch to the foot one. But the early totem blue livery looks great on the A3 and would be a simple re-paint job for Hornby.

Gets my vote.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Isn't Flying Scotsman (or at least it's second tender) the only standard gauge steam loco to carry the BR corporate livery?

I didn’t know it’s water tender ever carried BR corporate livery. It wore Flying Scotsman Enterprises Blue and Grey to match the coaches but never carried the arrows.

60103 Express Blue

That's a rare one!  Another challenge!   :)

I think it's one of those things that Hornby occasionally do but then in an odd Manner.

Since the Newer tooling was bought out the only time they've done Express Blue A3's is in the Master Cutler Premier (Rich Uncle) Set I mentioned earlier and the Similar Marks and Spencer set that G - BOAF wrote about.

With the exception of the old Tender Drive models, I believe Hornby have not done an A3 or Gresley A1* as a stand alone model in Express Blue (although We have had several A4's now and of course the Railroad Peppercorn A1 Tornado and a dubious Bon Accord in the Majestic Set)

* Edit - It's My understanding that by 1948 all Gresley's A1's had been rebuilt as A3's (or in the case of Great Northern - Butchered) so I don't think any would have been painted Express Blue in A1 form. If anyone else knows of any exceptions, please advise :)

It's sort of understandable, as the 1 :1 scale versions only really ran in Express blue for a few years around 1949 - 52 ish. But there does seem to be a growing interest in modelling that period.

I suppose it's like the A4 in LNER Apple Green, people asked for them for years since the newer tooling came about. But factions within Hornby thought they wouldn't sell so it never happened. Then last year they finally decided to do one, but as part of the Nigel Gresley Collection set of 4 in Gloss!!

Funny thing is that those dealers that decided to split the sets, have all sold out of Apple Green A4's in quick time but the remaining locos from the sets (A1, A3 and P2 in Apple green gloss) sit unwanted and unloved on dealers shelves and can be had for as little as 88 pound if you look hard enough.

So maybe people are looking for something a bit different rather than more of the same. When you see the crazy money the sets with the Blue A3's go for second hand (or the loco's themselves if you can find them split from the sets). I would think there is a fair market for a stand alone Express Blue A3.

post-23233-0-39552200-1513994414.jpg

Did Hornby ever produce Flying Scotsman in B R Blue at any time .

I think they should for us kids around 50 something .

If you have a liking for the Eastern Region in the Express Blue Period, you should checkout Wakefield West on RMW. It is based around the period where Blue was just giving way to Brunswick green, so lots of Superbly weathered Express Blue Pacifics. CLICK HERE if you are interested in some great videos and pictures.

60103 Express Blue

.........................................................................................................

Flying Scotsman looks great in the Blue.

I suppose it's like the A4 in LNER Apple Green, people asked for them for years since the newer tooling came about. But factions within Hornby thought they wouldn't sell so it never happened.

...................................................................................................................................

I think that somes up Hornby and why they are in the mess they are in now.

• RMweb Premium

* Edit - It's My understanding that by 1948 all Gresley's A1's had been rebuilt as A3's (or in the case of Great Northern - Butchered) so I don't think any would have been painted Express Blue in A1 form. If anyone else knows of any exceptions, please advise :)

The last A1 (by then reclassified A10) was 68 Sir Visto. She was renumbered 60068 in September ‘48 but still carried LNER (Gill Sans) on the tender until she went into Doncaster works for conversion to A3 in November 1948. So it appears that none of the A1/10’s even carried BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering on the tender.

All of the A3’s carried the blue livery except two - 60070 and 60076, so it was very much the norm for the class in the early 50’s.

Incidentally, six of the A3 Class were painted in an experimental purple/blue livery with red and cream lining in May-Jul 1948.

Phil

According to the green book, F/S got green in March 1952 while still RH drive. If  28th April is correct, then the loco is green. It certainly looks like it is ex works.

That's for correcting me, I understood that the A3s were blue while on the GC, but John Reid dates are correct, so guess it must be in green, can anyone advise when Sir Fredrick Banbury went from blue to green?

That's for correcting me, I understood that the A3s were blue while on the GC, but John Reid dates are correct, so guess it must be in green, can anyone advise when Sir Fredrick Banbury went from blue to green?

Sir Frederick Banbury went to green August 1951 according to the RCTS book.

• RMweb Premium

Sir Frederick Banbury went to green August 1951 according to the RCTS book.

Yeadons register shows 102 Sir Frederick Banbury arrived at Leicester Central shed in May ‘49 and remained there until September ‘57 (apart from 4 months allocated to Neasden in 1954).

Doncaster’s official record shows 60082 Neil Gow as the first A3 to receive the official blue livery and ‘cycling lion’ emblem in September ‘49. ‘Sir Fred’ however was not renumbered from 102 to 60102 until May 1949, so would have spent at least it’s first year at Leicester wearing LNER green.

Coachman advises that 60102 was repainted to Brunswick green in August 1951... this is the same month that the new livery came into force, so it would have been one of the first A3’s to receive it. This suggests that 60102 was wearing blue for a little over two years, all shedded at Leicester.

• 1 month later...