UP hits truck at Grand Island, NE

DanielB

Looks like someone in a white pickup was having engine troubles before attempting to cross the tracks at Grand Island. Predictably, his pickup stalled out on the tracks and the Union Pacific obliged him by removing the front of it.

From the seems of things, no one has been hurt.

Saw it happen live on the webcam for Railstream, and I've got to hand it to the UP crew, they reacted FAST. 

Truck has since been taken away by a recovery vehicle, and the driver has since been taken away by the police.

25353311858_65c5acb327_b.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello, can anybody explain why it is that so many people stall their cars on railroad tracks?

I just don't get it!

Most people take level crossings slowly with the engine barely ticking over. If there is a hump or incline at a level crossing this can slow a vehicle down even more resulting in the engine being more likely to stall. But in this case as stated the engine had a problem and failed in the wrong place.

Hello, can anybody explain why it is that so many people stall their cars on railroad tracks?

I just don't get it!

Its because they slow down to see if there is a train coming, many of us are aware of crossing light failures where the barriers stay up and the lights don't flash and a train comes barrelling through, hence we slow down and with humps and dips that makes the engine stalling (UK) much more likely.  US parlance stalling is the engine stopping, stalling as in abrupt clutch action is pretty rare as historically most US trucks and automobiles have automatic transmissions.  In Cheltenham the level crossing barriers come down as the train approaches the station, stay down while people bumble about aimlessly, stay down while the driver has an extra Yorkie bar after the doors are closed and eventually rolls casually across the crossing  after wasting 5 minutes or more of peoples time. No wonder busy people dodge round the barriers.  I park up and try to get a photo.

• RMweb Gold

In Cheltenham the level crossing barriers come down as the train approaches the station, stay down while people bumble about aimlessly, stay down while the driver has an extra Yorkie bar after the doors are closed and eventually rolls casually across the crossing  after wasting 5 minutes or more of peoples time. No wonder busy people dodge round the barriers.  I park up and try to get a photo.

It was because so many “busy” people dodged round barriers, that they started bringing barriers down sooner.

• RMweb Premium

Its because they slow down to see if there is a train coming, many of us are aware of crossing light failures where the barriers stay up and the lights don't flash and a train comes barrelling through, hence we slow down and with humps and dips that makes the engine stalling (UK) much more likely.

Are we?! That’s never even remotely occurred to me!

US crossing behaviour does seem very poor, with crossings only going down seconds before trains come through. I imagine with people reluctant to be stuck for 10+ minutes they’re far more likely to try and ‘beat the train’, although appreciate not a factor here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

WOW!

I just found this post! I am moving back to Grand Island this summer and the person in the boom truck is my best friend Sean.

The idiot stopped on the tracks trying to beat the train and the 1992 Ford truck he was driving stalled as it was a clutch and he supposedly had been drinking. 

Mark

Currently in California

Soon to be in Nebraska

Spent alot of my youth in Luton Beds England