Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

inside class 08's

spud

Hi, a simple question for somebody out there, I'm sure!!!

Of all the years ive spent in class 08's, I cant for the life of me, remember where the interior cab light was, and what style of fitting it was!

Can anyone help remind me, before I fit lighting into a Bachman 7mm jocko ???

Many thanks! And merry Christmas!

Light switches were on the engine wall ,block of 4.

One of them controlled the the cabroof light in the centre, a bare bulb I've only ever seen.

Another controlled a light which shone on the vac guage, came with a cylindrical cover with a hole in it, to shine onto the guage. Usually missing.

The 3rd desk back lights.

4th the light in the speedo/ammeter. ...maybe, can't remember it's been a while ..!

• RMweb Gold

Nice.  Rugged 1950s engineering at its best.   What's the sign about the tank and the manual pump all about?

Bill

The engine is fed by gravity from a tank that has to be filled by a manual lift pump by the LH driving position.

Some of the loco's that had cab refurbishment in the 80s had an electric pump fitted

• RMweb Gold

Someone has been busy in that picture as the service tank is well full we never used to fill them above 50gal as the fuel would go back to the main tank when braking down the overflow pipe.

When locos were filled to the brim at fuel points the tank would also be filled

It was often the secondman's job to pump up the tank on 'A' Pilot at Paddington, it was a case of 'niniteynine then change hands' as it made your arms ache something chronic. Woe betide anyone who forgot to do it on nights, the day men would not be happy bunnies..!

Happy memories! Thanks everyone, I can still hear that " clunk- clunk-clunk-clunk"

I can remember the single bulb now, in the cab roof, dont know why, but I also had a faint thought it could have been a square fitting, on the top of the bulkhead.

That looks to be almost identical to 08644 I was driving last week, so little has changed in all those years.

I did take some pictures, I will try and find time to upload them later today (Saturday).

This is a link to the picture showing one of the cab lights, its the black square above the redundant vacuum gauge hidden away at the top-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46912176@N06/38373870025/in/datetaken-public/

There are some others, I hope they are useful.

Edited by royaloak

This is a link to the picture showing one of the cab lights, its the black square above the redundant vacuum gauge hidden away at the top-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46912176@N06/38373870025/in/datetaken-public/

There are some others, I hope they are useful.

That lamp was intended to illuminate the Vac gauge and if iirc it came on with the other gauge illumation, but was too bright (relatively!) that's why they mostly had a 'shade' of a metal box or tube with hole in to limit the light output, however the bulb was very often just removed by the drivers especially if there was no shade.

What is the significance of the orange tubing/enclosures and when was this introduced, please?

All the different pipes/conduits on diesel locos were colour coded for ease of identification, don't know when it was introduced but it was certainly there in the seventies so they were probably built like it the sixties.

There were several colours,

Orange for electrical,

Lube oil was pink

Fuel oil (diesel) was brown

Water was blue

There are a few more that others will probably remember - my MP12 was a long time ago!