Al's 7mm Modern Image Work Bench

D6775

3 hours ago, D6775 said:

Managed to have a few hours on the 101 this weekend. I'll be so glad when this one is finally done. Hopefully by Xmas! Glazing in and door handles/grab rails added.

IMG_0102.jpg.1b2802cc5c14d2869640df67c71dc878.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg.30d39ecef2d0ccbb4ca7ed86f385830f.jpg

Great job on this Al!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really struggling for motivation at the moment again and we have Manchester Xmas show coming up next weekend with Dovedale, so I desperately need to get some bits done this weekend!

Anyway, I may have had an accident with Hattons Sale last week! 3 more Dogfish to add to the rake, may well dispose of a couple of catfish now. Cheapest version was the Dutch Weathered one, as a general rule I won't buy pre weathered stock, always seem to have to strip them back first!

1 - Out of the box:

Dogfish12.jpg.934dd351c8ce27c1c2b672210b0398c2.jpg

2 - Most of the crud removed:

Dogfish13.jpg.9d53680a81e4cd9e41491d7315ace3f1.jpg

3 - New crud added:

Dogfish14.jpg.4a9113342f4ee4b5d9c4af66bfce4115.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Not quite sure where form but I have finally found a tiny bit of motivation, so amongst a few other odds and sods I have dug my Peter Clark 156 out of its box and actually made some progress. One body is now just about done, I have just glued the cab on so that is now setting. and both underframes are well on the way. Hopefully grab a few missing bits off Pete at Kettering next week and might even get this ready for paint this Spring.

156c.jpg.fcdc7a0d65d7f2f0a6b59450ae596d14.jpg

• Like 6

Based on the excellent listing page on your Modern Image O Gauge website, Sprinter (and Pacer!) DMUs - something I’m keen to acquire - have only been produced in kit form by Peter Clark. 

Any recommendations for a kit building & painting service please?

On 30/11/2023 at 20:30, D6775 said:

Really struggling for motivation at the moment again and we have Manchester Xmas show coming up next weekend with Dovedale, so I desperately need to get some bits done this weekend!

Anyway, I may have had an accident with Hattons Sale last week! 3 more Dogfish to add to the rake, may well dispose of a couple of catfish now. Cheapest version was the Dutch Weathered one, as a general rule I won't buy pre weathered stock, always seem to have to strip them back first!

1 - Out of the box:

Dogfish12.jpg.934dd351c8ce27c1c2b672210b0398c2.jpg

2 - Most of the crud removed:

Dogfish13.jpg.9d53680a81e4cd9e41491d7315ace3f1.jpg

3 - New crud added:

Dogfish14.jpg.4a9113342f4ee4b5d9c4af66bfce4115.jpg

Hi Al, looks good, what do you use to remove the crud please? I am tempted by Heljans model of 37008 but the images I have seen show the weathering is awful and needs to come off and don't really want to get into full respray territory. Ta

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Hi Al, looks good, what do you use to remove the crud please? I am tempted by Heljans model of 37008 but the images I have seen show the weathering is awful and needs to come off and don't really want to get into full respray territory. Ta

White spirit and cotton buds, though others have suggested T-cut works quite well but I have not tried it. I even used some very fine wet & dry with white spirit on the Dogfish as I wasn't too concerned about cutting through the paint! I was planning on doing 008, I have a body and all the transfers to do it but now Heljan have picked it I may look at an alternative. 

1 hour ago, George Leacon said:

Based on the excellent listing page on your Modern Image O Gauge website, Sprinter (and Pacer!) DMUs - something I’m keen to acquire - have only been produced in kit form by Peter Clark. 

Any recommendations for a kit building & painting service please?

Afraid I don't really know of a kit building service, it may be worth dropping Peter a line, he may be able to point you in the right direction. I have always thought they were out of my price range so tend to have a go myself!!

• Thanks 1

Those that popped past the MIOG stand at Kettering would have see the work I have been doing with some 3D printed parts for the BR PEP family of EMU's (313/314/315/507/508). This is the progress with the first two bodies. My long term goal is to be able to build a 314.

PEP3.jpg.72aa1f98fa1c9df7e6a1759a378a3cc9.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, D6775 said:

White spirit and cotton buds, though others have suggested T-cut works quite well but I have not tried it. I even used some very fine wet & dry with white spirit on the Dogfish as I wasn't too concerned about cutting through the paint! I was planning on doing 008, I have a body and all the transfers to do it but now Heljan have picked it I may look at an alternative. 

Thanks Al. I was thinking of going for 37032 which is a straightforward renumber of 008.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Thanks Al. I was thinking of going for 37032 which is a straightforward renumber of 008.

That was potentially my other options, as I have modified the body to suit 008! I may just stick to 008 or go completely different!

Edited by D6775
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, D6775 said:

I even used some very fine wet & dry with white spirit on the Dogfish as I wasn't too concerned about cutting through the paint!

I've used 2000 grade to gently remove my own weathering when I decided to replace some transfers I wasn't ever happy with. You probably won't end up with a pristine finish obviously but it will certainly tone down / blend their weathering to give a decent base to start again

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, D6775 said:

Those that popped past the MIOG stand at Kettering would have see the work I have been doing with some 3D printed parts for the BR PEP family of EMU's (313/314/315/507/508). This is the progress with the first two bodies. My long term goal is to be able to build a 314.

PEP3.jpg.72aa1f98fa1c9df7e6a1759a378a3cc9.jpg

Very nice.  You've certainly captured the shape.  Good luck with this - which I shall watch with interest (and probably awe!)

22 hours ago, uk_pm said:

Very nice.  You've certainly captured the shape.  Good luck with this - which I shall watch with interest (and probably awe!)

I've just tidied up the 3D prints I was handed and put tow ends together. A little more work and hopefully it can be cast in one piece. 

• Like 1