LMS Restaurant Car Roof fittings

Chris Higgs

I am on the lookout for any information - photos, drawings etc - of the roof fittings of LMS Restaurant cars, especially the kitchen flues, hatches and fans fitted to 68' RF and RT stock. So far the best I have found are sketches in the Jenkinson Historic Carriage Drawings book and the Comet instruction sheets.

Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

I am on the lookout for any information - photos, drawings etc - of the roof fittings of LMS Restaurant cars, especially the kitchen flues, hatches and fans fitted to 68' RF and RT stock. So far the best I have found are sketches in the Jenkinson Historic Carriage Drawings book and the Comet instruction sheets.

Chris Higgs

Hi Chris,

When you get something can you share it with me please? I'm especially interested in the LNWR- style RC and subsequent conversion. For my RKs, I used the information sheets produced by Colin Albright for his Ultima range. I don't know where Colin got the info from mind.

Can you disclose what you need this info for?

Regards,

Nig H

Hi Chris,

When you get something can you share it with me please? I'm especially interested in the LNWR- style RC and subsequent conversion. For my RKs, I used the information sheets produced by Colin Albright for his Ultima range. I don't know where Colin got the info from mind.

Can you disclose what you need this info for?

Regards,

Nig H

Hi Nigel,

I am doing some 3D-printed roofs for my etched kits of the RT and RFO which I did many years ago. A few people are interested.

post-1605-0-09849700-1514653325.png

The layout is as per the Jenkinson book which also matches the Comet webpages. But neither tell me how much the various flues and hatches should protrude and whether they have any surface detail like catches and the like. My initial thought is that I have made them a bit anemic and that they should protrude more.

EDIT: looks like you might be able to shed some light as I see you did a 50' Kitchen car model which has the same lozenge shaped flues on it. I don't have that particular Ultima kit and I don't think there are any LMS restaurant car fittings in my gloat box.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nigel,

I am doing some 3D-printed roofs for my etched kits of the RT and RFO which I did many years ago. A few people are interested.

attachicon.gifLMS D1923 RT roof.png

The layout is as per the Jenkinson book which also matches the Comet webpages. But neither tell me how much the various flues and hatches should protrude and whether they have any surface detail like catches and the like. My initial thought is that I have made them a bit anemic and that they should protrude more.

EDIT: looks like you might be able to shed some light as I see you did a 50' Kitchen car model which has the same lozenge shaped flues on it. I don't have that particular Ultima kit and I don't think there are any LMS restaurant car fittings in my gloat box.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I'll dig out the Ultima information and send you a copy. I used Ultima etched or cast parts for most of the detail, some bits from scrap plasticard per the Ultima guidance.

Nig H

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Chris

which diagrams are you doing? The later Pd III 12 wheelers had pipework on the roof. 

The comet parts look OK but I think I have some drawings of the parts somewhere in my pile of books and papers.

The PdII 68' cars also have flues, fans and pipes...

some Comet bits fitted on this one...

post-7650-0-74829600-1515430081_thumb.jpg

albeit by an unknown builder - lots of items and pipes to be added

but I added the Comet bits to this one...

post-7650-0-70793400-1515430194_thumb.jpg

lots of pipes etc to be fitted on both...

Baz

Chris

which diagrams are you doing? The later Pd III 12 wheelers had pipework on the roof. 

The comet parts look OK but I think I have some drawings of the parts somewhere in my pile of books and papers.

The PdII 68' cars also have flues, fans and pipes...

some Comet bits fitted on this one...

attachicon.gifother side of LMS Pd II Compo diner D1811.JPG

albeit by an unknown builder - lots of items and pipes to be added

but I added the Comet bits to this one...

attachicon.gifother side of LMS d1810 First class diner.JPG

lots of pipes etc to be fitted on both...

Baz

I am doing D1923. Us 2mm madmen put the piping on separately, hence it not being on the 3D artwork.

Nigel Hunt sent me some handy instructions showing the form of the flues and hatches, but I would be interested to hear what diameter Comet use on theroof fans.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Chris

comet fans are 8 mm across the external rain guard ie 2ft diameter

The small oblong cowls are 7 mm long by 4.5 mm wide

The large oblong cowls are 7mm long by 8.4 mm wide

Hope that helps

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Here are a few shots of the roof of my RT. The wire for the piping is loose along the roof and gets knocked now and the when stored. I remember it was hard for me to get it looking OK.

post-12813-0-58850600-1516270826_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-70717500-1516270807_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-43869000-1516270840_thumb.jpg

Nig H