Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

This is a shame, as Kimi is having the season of his career.

Well, he did win the Drivers Championship in 2007...

(And has finished 2nd twice, and 3rd twice.)

Are there tracks where a maximum grid size needs to be imposed (e.g. Monaco?) 

Up until 1972 the ACM allowed only 16 cars to complete in the Monaco GP.  In 1972 they gave in to pressure from Bernie Ecclestone (and a threat to drop the race from the F1 calendar) and increased it to 26, the same as the rest of the races on the calendar.  In 1974 they were allowed to reduce it again, to 18 cars.

I don't know how or when the grid for the Monaco GP was increased again, but apparently the 1995 Monaco GP was the last one to date to start with a full 26-car grid.

And yes, in those earlier times there was pre-qualifying for the races with more entries than available grid positions.  Usually it was just the fastest X in qualifying (where X was the number of grid positions available) got through, but according to Wiki there were so many teams wanting to take part in the early 1990s that separate pre-qualifying sessions were run.

I don't know when it started (quite possible from the birth of F1 in 1950) but even today there is a cutoff based on having to be within a certain percentage of the pole position lap time (currently 107%).  Drivers who fail to meet that target can only race with the permission of the race stewards, so in theory you won't necessarily get a full grid even if there are sufficient entries.  (I'm sure I remember times back in the dim and distant when the odd driver failed to meet the target lap time; ISTR at least one occasion when a driver was allowed to race after the other teams had lobbied the stewards on account of some exceptional circumstances which had befallen a popular driver/team.  Can't see that happening these days!)

Would the constructors' championship be decided by an average score between three/top two drivers?

Up and including the 1990 season there was a limit on how many results a driver could count towards their points total in the drivers championship.  The calculation changed over time: sometimes it was a simple best X results, sometimes it was split between the first and second halves of the season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_World_Championship_points_scoring_systems#Points_scoring_systems. Only from 1991 have all points scored during the season counted towards the drivers championship.

The same rules were applied to the constructors championship from 1958 (when it started, eight years after the drivers championship) up to and including the 1978 season, with the difference that only the points for the highest-scoring driver for each constructor at each race were counted.  From the 1979 season onwards all points scored by each driver for each constructor count towards the constructors championship.

I suspect that, if three-car teams were to be allowed then something similar to one of the older systems would be be used for the constructors championship - perhaps with the points for only the top two highest-scoring drivers for each constructor being counted.  Anything more complicated than that would, I suspect, lead only to confusion and unnecessary complication.  (A cynic might suggest that, given how F1 seems to be run and governed these days, the straightforward solution would never even be put forward for consideration...)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The tifosi and Italian meejah are in indignant uproar about Sunday’s events, of course. Arrivabene says team orders are unenforceable in such a heated environment. Maybe - but former top man Montezemolo is rubbishing that line, saying that Mercedes’s tactic of stifling Kimi’s progress with Bottas so Lewis could nail the win was exactly right, and what Ferrari did when he was in charge.

Now Mika Hakkinen has weighed in to agree with Montezemolo that the Ferrari failure to win on Sunday was a "mistake of leadership and strategy". He notes Ferrari have the fastest car right now, yet Lewis is 30 points ahead. Add in Rosberg - no friend of Lewis's in recent years - saying that Vettel was 100% to blame for the collision, and there are now a few qualified observers putting the boot in. If the news that Kimi is to be "allowed" to leave at the end of the season is true, it all leaves a nasty taste, because his performance in quali and on the day was exemplary, unlike his impetuous team-mate.

It is good that the new Ferrari Chairman is back-pedalling on the threat to walk if they don't like the deal offered by Liberty in future, because their credibility as a team is a bit lacking right now. To really make such threats stick, you have to be the team that excels and sets standards. 

• Like 4

This has just poped up on the BBC Website.

Charles Leclerc's move to Ferrari to replace Kimi Raikkonen next year is done bar an official announcement. Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian)

Thousands of fans have signed an online petition urging Ferrari to retain Raikkonen. (Express)

Raikkonen has been told he will be released when his contract expires at the end of this season. (Fox Sports)

Meanwhile, Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton says Raikkonen will be a great loss to the sport if he leaves F1 at the end of the season. (Grandpx news)

Two-time world champion Mika Hakkinen says "a mistake of leadership and strategy" cost Ferrari the Italian Grand Prix, after his Finnish compatriot Raikkonen qualified on pole. (GP Fans)

I despair. How many seasons, and how many times, have we been through all this claptrap? The bile against F1 remains constant, but the passion for F1 has remained resilient.

Fact is, F1 remains seriously popular. But if we can't watch it live without paying a small fortune to somebody, what is the point? Who will then care which driver races for which over-sponsored or under-financed team? The Premier League took a while to understand this, and all was well for a while, but they now seem to be changing their minds too.

• Like 1

I don't know when it started (quite possible from the birth of F1 in 1950) but even today there is a cutoff based on having to be within a certain percentage of the pole position lap time (currently 107%).  Drivers who fail to meet that target can only race with the permission of the race stewards, so in theory you won't necessarily get a full grid even if there are sufficient entries.  (I'm sure I remember times back in the dim and distant when the odd driver failed to meet the target lap time; ISTR at least one occasion when a driver was allowed to race after the other teams had lobbied the stewards on account of some exceptional circumstances which had befallen a popular driver/team.  Can't see that happening these days!)

Still happens from time to time, if a car fails in Q1 without setting a representative lap time. The team can ask for inclusion on the basis of the drivers (and cars) previous performances that season - or the other cars performance in that session.

I didn't think the 107% rule was still in force, or hasn't been invoked for some time. Has been a while since someone has been told that they could not start as they were simply not quick enough.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very interested to see how that goes. Leclerc has done good things with the Sauber, wonder if Kimi will do even more. Must be a rubbish prospect knowing you’re going to one of the worst cars on the grid though. Even Alonso always had hope until the first race of the season!

• RMweb Gold

Kimi to Sauber, and PART OWNER!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45469521

Can you provide a direct link to the article that the BBC was linking to as I can't see it there?

I have to say I do find the BBC "gossip" column very weak journalism and just provides links to where other journalists have done the work. As time goes by, the gossip pages links disappear so you can't find old articles anymore.

"[Raikkonen] failed to win the [italian GP] despite starting from pole position, and by defending against Vettel on the opening lap arguably contributed to the chain of events that led to Vettel spinning to the back after colliding with Lewis Hamilton"

So, hang on: he failed to win the race from pole*, but defending his position was also a mistake?  The guy can't do right for doing wrong!

* Widely regarded as being because of a poor strategic call by the team, rather than the driver

Can you provide a direct link to the article that the BBC was linking to as I can't see it there?

I have to say I do find the BBC "gossip" column very weak journalism and just provides links to where other journalists have done the work. As time goes by, the gossip pages links disappear so you can't find old articles anymore.

Yes it does appear to have been removed, it clearly stated that according to a Finnish News Report that Kimi would be a Part Owner, ready for when he retires from Racing.