Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

Looking at the allocation of Toynbee Hall, I'm not sure the loco could have been the one you encountered. 

For starters, it never seems to have been a Banbury loco; and in November 1963 as a Neath based engine it had another 2 years to go before withdrawal. 

The loco that would fit the crews' description almost perfectly is 4998 Eyton Hall. 

Sadly, this loco was an original Collett version, so is unlikely to have been the one. 

Apologies if I am throwing red herrings, but I find this fascinating. 

• Like 1

While on the theme of 'last steam-hauled runs', there were two 'Black Five'-rostered turns from Preston right up to the final weekend of normal steam workings, Saturday/Sunday 3rd/4th August 1968. The famous/(infamous?) '15 Guinea Special' of the following weekend doesn't count as a 'normal' working, of course.

On Saturday 3rd August I was on the 20.50 Preston to Blackpool South behind 45212. At Preston the station was packed with enthusiasts, and a fake coffin with 'Death of Steam' (or some such) was paraded along the platform! The train was absolutely packed and at Blackpool the crew were giving away pieces of coal as souvenirs! Was any RMWeb reader on this train? Or on the actual 'last one', which amazingly left Preston not long after 45212 had gone, the 21.25 Preston to Liverpool with 45318?

Actually, to quote the October 1968 Railway Magazine:

''On Sunday, 4th August, 45212 shunted the sleeping cars off the (previous night's) 23.45 Euston-Preston into the bay at Preston and this was definitely the last occasion on which passengers were steam-hauled by a BR engine in normal service, albeit a shunt move!''

Was anybody on that one?

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Probably not, then, though that has stuck in my mind for years for some reason.  It may be that the Gloucester crew thought that whatever this abomination was belonged to Banbury because that's where it had worked in from.  They had, after all, only relieved the loco less than half an hour before as Control collared it for the Cardiff after the dmu failure, the instruction likely going along the lines of 'go over to Tramway and relieve the loco there, hook the train off and work the Cardfiff, the dmu's a cripple'.  Oxford and Banbury had some appalling locomotives at the time, and one of those two sheds is the most likely culprit.  Didcot, Severn Tunnel Junction, Ebbw Jc, Cardiff East Dock, Bristol Barrow Lane, Tyseley, or Oxley were also possible candidates, still being highly active steam sheds with main line locos in those days.

It was, as I say, my last run behind a WR tender loco, but I was on a Barry Island excursion the following August with a 5101 and 6 Hawksworth non gangwayed compartment coaches that had probably not turned a wheel since the previous August Bank Holiday Monday from Cardiff Queen Street carriage sidings, and on what was most probably their last ever work.  Again, I cannot identify the loco at this remove of time, but it was one of our 'usual suspect' 41xx series.  Non stop from Cardiff General and a lively enough little runner, fun for all the heads out of all the windows!  It was around this time that an evening trip to Cardiff General produced a fairly clean East Dock Hall substituting for a failed 47 on an up London.  That was effectively the end of steam on passenger services in South Wales AFAIK, and the final end in the area was at the end of August 1965.  Gloucester saw steam action on freight for a little while longer, and occasionally a shortage of diesels would have a loco penetrating the diesel bastion as far as Severn Tunnel, where there were no facilities for them and they'd have to return ASAP!

On Saturday 3rd August I was on the 20.50 Preston to Blackpool South behind 45212. At Preston the station was packed with enthusiasts, and a fake coffin with 'Death of Steam' (or some such) was paraded along the platform! The train was absolutely packed and at Blackpool the crew were giving away pieces of coal as souvenirs! Was any RMWeb reader on this train? Or on the actual 'last one', which amazingly left Preston not long after 45212 had gone, the 21.25 Preston to Liverpool with 45318?

Actually, to quote the October 1968 Railway Magazine:

''On Sunday, 4th August, 45212 shunted the sleeping cars off the (previous night's) 23.45 Euston-Preston into the bay at Preston and this was definitely the last occasion on which passengers were steam-hauled by a BR engine in normal service, albeit a shunt move!''

In October 1968 the Railway Magazine published this article on the "last rites". 

Reflections of the Last Night by “A Mourner”

Oct 68 Railway Magazine

On Saturday, August 3rd 1968, from eight o’clock onwards, railway enthusiasts from many parts of the British Isles began to assemble at Preston Station.  Two taxi-drivers remarked about the unusually long queue formed at the ticket office, oblivious of the real significance of the occasion.  Mostly only two destinations were being booked – Blackpool South and Liverpool Exchange – by the last two ordinary-service trains on British Railways standard gauge metals to be hauled by steam engines.

The platforms were a seething mass of humanity, sporting numerous cases carrying cameras and tape-recorders, while two bearded gentlemen clad in top hats and tails, and carrying a mock coffin draped with slogans on the impending demise of the steam locomotive, marched in sombre style past the Brush type “4” and coaches of the 17.05 from Euston, the rear of which was to form the 20.50 to Blackpool.

As Stanier class “5” 4-6-0 No. 45212 backed on to this train, packed to capacity, photographers jostled with each other for suitable positions, and tape-recordists started the reels turning in an attempt to record her every beat and hiss.  Soon No. 45212 was gone, the last of a great pageant of steam locomotives which have carried thousands to the Fylde Coast over the years.

Pending the expected arrival at 21.12 of the 17.25 from Glasgow, many people went to the other end of the station to photograph and admire another Stanier class “5”, No. 45318, waiting to take the Liverpool portion.  As the train came in the tape-recordists rushed to get into the front coaches of the section due to depart at 21.25 for Liverpool, while photographers fortunate enough to possess flash stood ready to take their final shots of steam at Preston Station.

With a blast from the exhaust, and to a battery of flash guns, No. 45318 pulled her train gently out: this was the moment of no return.  As she climbed steadily up the West Coast main line to Farington Curve Junction there were still isolated flashes of blue light from photographers at strategic vantage points on the lineside.  Once over the short sharp climb to Moss Lane Junction, No. 45318 began to hurry her train along into the night in the best traditions of steam (time-recordists noted an “80” at one point).

All too soon we were passing through the Liverpool suburbs, past Aintree where the outline of the now-silent engine shed, its coaling plant still towering into the sky, appeared a silent tribute to the golden age of steam.  Three miles farther on hardly a trace could be seen of Bank Hall shed, another former mecca of the steam enthusiast – a stark reminder that an era was drawing to a close.

As No. 45318 proudly brought her train slowly to a standstill in Liverpool Exchange the enthusiasts gathered round to pay their last respects: the few ordinary passengers files past with hardly a look at the engine, mildly surprised, partly amused at all the fuss.  There was a chorus of “Auld Lang Syne” and three cheers for the steam Locomotive. 

There was a carnival atmosphere about the whole affair, yet it was tinged with sadness.  There were still the six enthusiasts’ specials to come on the next day and the very last train of all the following Sunday.  There are steam visits to private lines and industrial systems to look forward to, but this was the last occasion on which one could pay one’s fare at a British Railways booking-office window, and travel behind a steam locomotive on an ordinary service train.

Chris Turnbull

• Like 8

Interesting that these locos still have their connecting rods on. Did they work in under their own steam ?

Phil

No Idea Phil, but I know that they would still have a few miles to go before they would be cut up.  As I mentioned Campbells was a very small yard with only one siding to receive the locos and stable the empty wagons that took the scrap away to the steelworks (usually Clydesdale Works), the common practice would be for the locomotive hauling the empties back from the works at Mossend would stop at Whifflet and pick up one or two locos, they would then be behind the train loco (and brakevan) to Coatbridge Sunnyside, where the train would reverse so the scrap locos would be at the back of the train up to Clarkston where the train would reverse again before heading for the yard, which was on the down side of the line.  My parents house overlooked the embankment  at Coatdyke and I always watched the empties until the full train passed so that I could see what was at the back.

Jim

• Like 1

I was on the football supporters special from Carlisle to Blackpool on 26th December 1967. Hauled by 70013, it was the last steam hauled pasenger working out of Carlisle before the end of regular steam duties. It also proved to be the last steam hauled passenger service over Shap. Annoyingly, due to a police request, it terminated at Blackpool South station and 'us fans' had to walk over the old uneven freight yards to the football ground. Today with H&S, this would definitely not be allowed.

Edited by The Border Reiver

Trevor,

Hello!

Again thank you for sharing these pictures, they are excellent and a great record of 'the end' - I have spent the last week or so summarising all the details I can find about 1968 steam locomotive working in what is now Cumbria - to be a part of an article being prepared to 'celebrate' the 50th Anniversary for the Cumbrian Railways Association's Journal. I've looked forward to your posting on here as your pictures have brought my research to life. We have previously discussed steam workings on the 'main line' north of Oxenholme in 1968 - I've now got a summary sheet of people's record of  what they saw at the time - I will E-Mail it to you if you are interested.

(Did you see my post (no. 48) on page 2 of this thread - I think the page may have tuned over quickly after I sent it as the topic you started prooved so popular) - Thanks again -Tony

My last (and, as it happened, my first!) trip behind an ex-GWR tender loco was Banbury to Oxford on the York-Bournemouth behind 4920 'Dumbleton Hall' on September 9 1965:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7547553264/in/photolist-cuXbCG-cuXbH5

A good run, with a couple of stretches at 60-65 mph, spoiled by a 9 minute signal stop at Heyford.

Edited by pH

My last (and, as it happened, my first!) trip behind an ex-GWR tender loco was Banbury to Oxford on the York-Bournemouth behind 4920 'Dumbleton Hall' on September 9 1965:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7547553264/in/photolist-cuXbCG-cuXbH5

A good run, with a couple of stretches at 60-65 mph, spoiled by a 9 minute signal stop at Heyford.

Last of the 49 series Halls, that trip made a change from it's usual mundane work around that time, working out of Barrow Road shed, it was normally lumbered with banking up Horfield bank.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

Last of the 49 series Halls, that trip made a change from it's usual mundane work around that time, working out of Barrow Road shed, it was normally lumbered with banking up Horfield bank.

And also lucky that having survived that late she made it to Woodhams to make her the oldest surviving Hall....

Phil

• Like 1

Trevor,

(Did you see my post (no. 48) on page 2 of this thread - I think the page may have tuned over quickly after I sent it as the topic you started prooved so popular) - Thanks again -Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I saw your post and sent you a Message on 10th January, rather than clog up this thread with questions for you. If it reached you OK you should be able to access it by clicking the little 'envelope' icon near your name at the top after you sign in.

You can reply to me in the same way when you open it. Or click my picture (in the cab if 45608) to open my profile then click 'send me a message'.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

I was on the football supporters special from Carlisle to Blackpool on 26th December 1967. Hauled by 70013, it was the last steam hauled pasenger working out of Carlisle before the end of regular steam duties. It also proved to be the last steam hauled passenger service over Shap. Annoyingly, due to a police request, it terminated at Blackpool South station and 'us fans' had to walk over the old uneven freight yards to the football ground. Today with H&S, this would definitely not be allowed.

I hope the trip was worthwhile, apart from the run behind 70013. What was the score?

Did the train travel via Preston, and if so was there a loco change?

Cheers

Trevor

... and 48773 at Rose Grove shed on 3rd August, the latter bearing the (unnecessary?) yellow cab stripe, unique to the Class, I believe.

There was supposedly another 8F with a yellow stripe, although I have yet to see photographic evidence. The stripe on 8773 was correct when applied as she had the high WD top feed, but a new boiler in 1966 corrected this and the stripe should have been painted out, but wasn't. 8774/75 also had the high top feed, but for some reason never had the stripe.

There was supposedly another 8F with a yellow stripe, although I have yet to see photographic evidence. The stripe on 8773 was correct when applied as she had the high WD top feed, but a new boiler in 1966 corrected this and the stripe should have been painted out, but wasn't. 8774/75 also had the high top feed, but for some reason never had the stripe.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now you mention it, I seem to recall reading that somewhere ages ago but had forgotten all about it.

Trevor

You'd think as 8775 lasted to the end at Lostock Hall, there'd be more pic of her. Unlike 8774 that was withdrawn 2 years earlier at Speke J.

Just had a look at my rail trip book (which starts in July 1963)

My last BR steam hauled train was on a cold, wet misty 25 November 1967, a round trip.

Wigan Wallgate to Liverpool Exchange  DMU M50775

Liverpol Exchange to Preston                 Black 5 45281

Preston to Manchester Victoria               Black 5 44816

Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate  DMU NE51814

And that was the end of BR steam for me !!

Brit15

• Like 2