50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

• RMweb Gold

You'd think as 8775 lasted to the end at Lostock Hall, there'd be more pic of her. Unlike 8774 that was withdrawn 2 years earlier at Speke J.

Here she is in March 68 complete with WD top feed but no yellow stripe

https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/6961281477/in/album-72157625418636168/

48773's stripe a bit of a nonsense then?

Phil

• Like 2

Here she is in March 68 complete with WD top feed but no yellow stripe

https://www.flickr.com/photos/david_christie/6961281477/in/album-72157625418636168/

48773's stripe a bit of a nonsense then?

Phil

There was some controversy re 8F's and yellow stripes - I seem to remember reading that they striped the wrong loco. I'll try to dig out the reference.

Brit15

Perhaps they just couldn't be bothered with painting the stripe, but the orders were given that 8775 shouldn't go south of Stafford, anyone got pics of it south of there?? I know the rule was Crewe, but the lowering of the wiring was from Stafford.

Here's some more for you to enjoy.

680709 Carnforth withdrawn roads 7.3.jpg

Withdrawn locomotives at Carnforth on 9th July.

680710 Carnforth 44871 8.5.jpg

44871 at Carnforth on the next day. Does anybody recognise themselves in the foreground?

680417 Manchester Victoria 48380 3.1.jpg

48380 at Manchester Victoria on 17th April. I wasn't the only one there!

680417 Manchester Victoria 45206 2.6.jpg

45206, same place, same day.

Chris Turnbull

In the top picture one of the ex ER 9Fs was, I believe,92091, the first loco I remember seeing while at Nottingham Victoria with my dad about 1957, I was 4. It made quite an impression on me swinging alongside platform 7 with a freight, almost certainly heading for Woodford Halse.

Saw it many times in the intervening years on the GC, only to lose it when Annesley shed closed and it was transferred away.

Next saw it as above at Carnforth withdrawn and cold, quite a shock to the system even for someone who'd seen the GC die a lingering death. But then there were other things taking over my interests then as would be expected of a teenager.

I thought this was taken on a trip to the Tyne dock area.

Unlikely to be Tyne Dock, I would suggest, with an 8F(?) on the right. The 'lie of the land' doesn't look right, either, going from memory. (But I'm happy to be proved wrong.)

Darlington or Crewe Works, possibly? Do you have a date for it?

Cheers

• Like 1

Unlikely to be Tyne Dock, I would suggest, with an 8F(?) on the right. The 'lie of the land' doesn't look right, either, going from memory. (But I'm happy to be proved wrong.)

Darlington or Crewe Works, possibly? Do you have a date for it?

Cheers

I don't Trev, it is either 1963 or 64 I think, I visited both places so not sure, my brother has my Dads films and prints and he sent me these, so no idea if they are off the same roll of film.

• RMweb Gold

Last day of steam at 8F Springs Branch Wigan. November 1967. Dad (who was a press photographer) took the photo. Only time I "did" the Branch with permission !!

Spot the Boss (giving me a funny look - "I'm sure I've seen HIM before" !!

attachicon.gifSPRINGS BRANCH MPD LAST DAY OF STEAM 1967 001.jpg

A  fifteen year old Apollo !!

attachicon.gifSPRINGS BRANCH MPD LAST DAY OF STEAM 1967.jpg

Brit15

Still with Lower Darwen on the bufferbeam!, how long since it was allocated there?

Mike.

It could be one of two, 76080 & 76081, both were allocated at Lower Darwen from Feb 1957 to March 1965, when both were transferred to Sutton Oak ( the 8G shed code) then both went to Springs Branch in June '67. But 81 only lasted a month before withdrawal, but could still have been there in store, but 80 wasn't withdrawn 'till the December.  The WHTS website doesn't prove one way or another if 81 was at 8F at the time of closure or not.

Is it not 76084 ?

76084 was supposedly unique in being the only 4mt with 3x BR warning flashes on the front frames (as per this picture), certainly Ive not found any images of any other 76xxx (especially with Lower Darwin on the front Buffer beam)  with 3 BR Warning flashes, and this is something that has been replicated in preservation. It carried the 3 warning flashes for at least 2+ years.

Spot the difference... all 3 have differing arrangements of warning flashes.

1966_07_03_1.jpg

and again

76084_10H.jpg

for comparison heres 76080

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60464967@N05/5517206210/in/photolist-9px8c1-ThTpF6-T6r13Z-h3hnPK-9TD9j8-5kxWuk-eoRue7-8yuFe-eYA6ra-WVdPV1-XLkNrB-GVJ4ar-MEFHpy-YjsKji-cqCpNN-gFB4mF-hwitZ9-r2EWEN-oW1V4C-Sn6B8Q-Sfujd6-SgdxAW-aS3t3a-SQ2MkW-21SUKgq-SiRodv-SPmzsq-Tu95uK-Sfuj7z-jQuJs-8scj6B-cFwHJW-9USLiu-qqSpSf-RUTZbF-oDxEhR-81LP6o-pyi7C4-RFP62Z-eKrn7H-9fgPfa-gtyKPw-doKw9v-8sfm6w-qokNG-RDb3gn-qGqP5A-8scib6-asPLnG-RaqDd4

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4026/4390576830_bc0c2d5ac8_z.jpg

Dont suppose you have a picture of it's tender ? I'm trying to find out if it only carried the early crest with the 3/4 tender lining, unlike most other 4mts.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

There was supposedly another 8F with a yellow stripe, although I have yet to see photographic evidence. The stripe on 8773 was correct when applied as she had the high WD top feed, but a new boiler in 1966 corrected this and the stripe should have been painted out, but wasn't. 8774/75 also had the high top feed, but for some reason never had the stripe.

Arent we getting our numbers confused ? There isn’t an LMS 8773,4,5.

48773/4/5 returned to the UK post war (1952) and Post LMS.. they were allocated numbers at the end of the range as their LMS numbers were taken.. 48773 was 8233, 48774 was ex-WD 70501 (not LMS) and 48775 was ex-WD 70512.

Edited by adb968008

I hope the trip was worthwhile, apart from the run behind 70013. What was the score?

Did the train travel via Preston, and if so was there a loco change?

Cheers

Trevor

1-1, Blackpool won 3-1 at Brunton Park in the reverse fixture on 30/12/67.

I've read somewhere 70013 worked the return train, but unsure of whether it worked in/out of Blackpool.

1-1, Blackpool won 3-1 at Brunton Park in the reverse fixture on 30/12/67.

I've read somewhere 70013 worked the return train, but unsure of whether it worked in/out of Blackpool.

Thank you for the football results - shame about the replay!

We do know the 'Brit' worked the return trip to Carlisle. What I'm not sure of is because the train would have had to reverse at Preston to reach Blackpool, did the 'Brit' get turned (presumably at Lostock Hall shed) which must have caused a heck of a delay, or did it work the train tender-first from Preston to Blackpool? (Unlikely).

The Six Bells Junction website shows 70013 at Blackpool shed that day, so it must have worked the train all the way.

The Border Reiver was on this train - hopefully he will get back to us and all will be revealed!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A

Is it not 76084 ?

76084 was supposedly unique in being the only 4mt with 3x BR warning flashes on the front frames (as per this picture), certainly Ive not found any images of any other 76xxx (especially with Lower Darwin on the front Buffer beam)  with 3 BR Warning flashes, and this is something that has been replicated in preservation. It carried the 3 warning flashes for at least 2+ years.

Spot the difference... all 3 have differing arrangements of warning flashes.

1966_07_03_1.jpg

and again

76084_10H.jpg

Yeah, you're right, I overlooked that one :sungum: 

Arent we getting our numbers confused ? There isn’t an LMS 8773,4,5.

48773/4/5 returned to the UK post war (1952) and Post LMS.. they were allocated numbers at the end of the range as their LMS numbers were taken.. 48773 was 8233, 48774 was ex-WD 70501 (not LMS) and 48775 was ex-WD 70512.

Erm! It was/is a railwaymans habit to leave the first number off a 5 figure, pre-nationalisation designed, BR loco number when talking about them. Too much nit-picking will make some people stop, and think !!??

Edited by bike2steam

Thank you for the football results - shame about the replay!

We do know the 'Brit' worked the return trip to Carlisle. What I'm not sure of is because the train would have had to reverse at Preston to reach Blackpool, did the 'Brit' get turned (presumably at Lostock Hall shed) which must have caused a heck of a delay, or did it work the train tender-first from Preston to Blackpool? (Unlikely).

The Six Bells Junction website shows 70013 at Blackpool shed that day, so it must have worked the train all the way.

The Border Reiver was on this train - hopefully he will get back to us and all will be revealed!

Cheers

Trevor

70013 wouldn't have needed to reverse, it was common back then for Fylde Coast trains for the northern WCML to run through Preston to Farrington Junction, over the WCML to Lostock Hall Jn, Preston Junction and back into Preston on the East Lancs Side so it would be right way round for the line to Carlisle.

Jim

I have to admit that, as an ex-railwayman, I always do this, as did my colleagues. The snag with this particular 8F of course was that its LMS number was 8233, not 8773, having come to BR as late as 1957, by which time the original records were not consulted or were unknown.

But I believe preservation is about more than just saving the hardware; traditions and operating methods come into it too, hence I stay with the old railwaymen's terminology in this and everything else.

• Like 4

70013 wouldn't have needed to reverse, it was common back then for Fylde Coast trains for the northern WCML to run through Preston to Farrington Junction, over the WCML to Lostock Hall Jn, Preston Junction and back into Preston on the East Lancs Side so it would be right way round for the line to Carlisle.

Jim

Yes, it must have confused many a passenger at Preston station to see the same train pass the station twice, but in opposite directions, about twenty minutes apart!
  • Like 2

Jim

Sorted! Thanks for clearing that up, Jim.

Cheers

Trevor

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it must have confused many a passenger at Preston station to see the same train pass the station twice, but in opposite directions, about twenty minutes apart!

I remember that kind of stuff happening at Birmingham in the 1980’s.

One summer Saturday there was a 46 on driver training, I copped it a half dozen times, each time it emerged from the same track, in the same tunnel going the same way.

I remember that kind of stuff happening at Birmingham in the 1980’s.

One summer Saturday there was a 46 on driver training, I copped it a half dozen times, each time it emerged from the same track, in the same tunnel going the same way.

Round the Perry Barr, Winson Green ( like a train-set) circuit?? :sungum: 

• Like 1

No pictures, but my abiding memory of the end of steam is of Cambridge MPD, which closed in 1962, shortly after we had completed moving to Cambridge. I just-about saw the last days of this shed, and remember the coaling tower being demolished in 1967.

That, and seeing the last gasps of the Northants ironstone railways in the early 60s.

Oh, and seeing the last steam trains in Isle of Wight on a family holiday in the 1960s

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the allocation of Toynbee Hall, I'm not sure the loco could have been the one you encountered. 

For starters, it never seems to have been a Banbury loco; and in November 1963 as a Neath based engine it had another 2 years to go before withdrawal. 

A cracking yarn! But Toynbee was 5961 and therefore not a 6959 Hall

In no way detracts from story though

Cheers