Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

50 Years since the end of BR Steam!

I'm surprised some pictures of the 'Fifteen Guinea Special' of 11th August 1968 haven't appeared yet, although it was mentioned earlier. Any takers?

(I set off with friends in a van but flat tyres put an end to that and we didn't see it!)  :cry: 

Trevor

How many engines were actually in service during the last week......across the board? I don't think I've heard any figures etc but I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere.

Some brilliant photos out there thanks for posting!

Regards

Guy

Well done, you just managed to photograph the continental ferry vans before that pesky kettle got in the way!

I didn't realise they got so far north. (the vans!).

Mike.

Yes, 5110 did do a lot of showing off that day, for some reason.

Funnily enough, I didn't notice the ferry wagons until I scanned the print to put on here.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s the wrong thread for this question, but...

So one aspect of the steam era I’ve not quite grasped is the logistics..

Theres always plenty of steam locos on shed in the 1960’s..at least pictures make you believe.

Was this the case ? Was there 2n number of locos to actual diagrams required ?, was there always “another one just like the other one” ? It would seem to be an Abundance of waste capacity ?

Train spotters did lots of shed visits on Sundays when they weren't at work or school. Rail traffic was less on Sundays, so the sheds were often usually full and you could get more numbers in your little book.

Here's the next batch.

attachicon.gif680709 Carnforth Black 5 6.10.jpg

Unidentified Black 5 at Carnforth on 9th July.

One for the 'Prototype for Everything' thread. A Class A tank wagon next to the (chimney end of the) loco. Presumably a short trip.

I'm surprised some pictures of the 'Fifteen Guinea Special' of 11th August 1968 haven't appeared yet, although it was mentioned earlier. Any takers?

(I set off with friends in a van but flat tyres put an end to that and we didn't see it!)  :cry:

Time and Patience Trev :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Yes, 5110 did do a lot of showing off that day, for some reason.

Funnily enough, I didn't notice the ferry wagons until I scanned the print to put on here.

IIRC 5110 was the last BR loco to move under steam power in normal service.  I think the info is on the Lostock Loco shed website and all the final movements are chronicled.  I think that 5110 was the last to be disposed of and taken under it's own power to the scrap line.   By that time Cromwell had got to Diss for transfer to Bressingham.

Jamie

Well done, you just managed to photograph the continental ferry vans before that pesky kettle got in the way!

I didn't realise they got so far north. (the vans!).

Mike.

Going OT

Waverley in Liverpool was an international freight depot into the 1980s IIRC. Continental ferry vans would have worked to all parts of the Kingdom - fresh fruit and vegetables were a common load which were required in all the main connurbations. A long line of Transfesa vans were partially recorded at Warrington in 1979 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrytransfesavan1959/e1c9ca86f

And every time a manufacturer asks "what should we model" they ignore the advice of one of the common French/German/Spanish or Italian vans!

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

It's the 4th August 1968 and with a week to go my friend and I headed south on our motorcycles to photo the steam specials that ran that day. Here is Black 5 45156 at the head of 1T80, the "G.C. Enterprises Farewell to Steam" special. I have this in my catalogue as taken near Lostock Hall. My frend had worked out the locations we were going that day and I just followed him on my bike. Can anyone confirm the location?

This tour was advertised as being organised by G. C. Enterprises but carried a headboard proclaiming "Stockport (Bahamas) Locomotive Society".

post-19218-0-98286400-1517667573.jpg

• Like 9

Going OT

Waverley in Liverpool was an international freight depot into the 1980s IIRC. Continental ferry vans would have worked to all parts of the Kingdom - fresh fruit and vegetables were a common load which were required in all the main connurbations. A long line of Transfesa vans were partially recorded at Warrington in 1979 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrytransfesavan1959/e1c9ca86f

And every time a manufacturer asks "what should we model" they ignore the advice of one of the common French/German/Spanish or Italian vans!

Paul

Transfesa actually had their own depot at Liverpool Wavertree; it even had separate (electrified) reception sidings to the main Spekeland Road Goods.

Fery Vans really did get to the far corners of the kingdom; in relatively recent times, a short rake of 'Interfrigo' vans were to be seen working from Mallaig on fish traffic to Grimsby, as BR had no insulated vans any more. The three Diagram Books for Internationally-Registered stock on here- http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRFerryVehiclesIssue.pdf - are interesting reading. Some of the route restrictions imposed by BR are quite amusing. Who, for instance, can imagine what circumstances might lead to an Italian van being sent to the Burry Port and Gwendreath Valley ('Luigi, those grapes from your Nonna's are at Llanelli'), or a French bogie well to the Cattle Dock Siding at Porthmadoc?

Transfesa actually had their own depot at Liverpool Wavertree; it even had separate (electrified) reception sidings to the main Spekeland Road Goods.

Fery Vans really did get to the far corners of the kingdom; in relatively recent times, a short rake of 'Interfrigo' vans were to be seen working from Mallaig on fish traffic to Grimsby, as BR had no insulated vans any more. The three Diagram Books for Internationally-Registered stock on here- http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRFerryVehiclesIssue.pdf - are interesting reading. Some of the route restrictions imposed by BR are quite amusing. Who, for instance, can imagine what circumstances might lead to an Italian van being sent to the Burry Port and Gwendreath Valley ('Luigi, those grapes from your Nonna's are at Llanelli'), or a French bogie well to the Cattle Dock Siding at Porthmadoc?

Sorry about the Wavertree mis-remembering

I think that Italian vans to either of those could easily have been proposed, if there were italians living there. I was in Luton yard one day when the local Italians were unloading grapes from such a van. Later I had to work in the Lea Valley nurseries on a pest outbreak. There were many Italians there. They explained that whole wagon loads (or containers later) of loose grapes could be loaded to them so they could use grapes produced in their home areas to make wine. There was no need for boxes etc as they were to be squashed as soon as possible. I am aware that Bedford and Glasgow are areas which have had large Italian origin populations for many years.  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryitalianinterfrigo/e27252bfd

Paul

Sorry about the Wavertree mis-remembering

I think that Italian vans to either of those could easily have been proposed, if there were italians living there. I was in Luton yard one day when the local Italians were unloading grapes from such a van. Later I had to work in the Lea Valley nurseries on a pest outbreak. There were many Italians there. They explained that whole wagon loads (or containers later) of loose grapes could be loaded to them so they could use grapes produced in their home areas to make wine. There was no need for boxes etc as they were to be squashed as soon as possible. I am aware that Bedford and Glasgow are areas which have had large Italian origin populations for many years.  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ferryitalianinterfrigo/e27252bfd

Paul

Knowing how easy it can be for a trailer-load of grapes to 'turn' whilst the tractor-driver is having lunch, I'd be hesitant to accept a quaff of one of these wines. Not sure I'd even put it on my chips...

IIRC 5110 was the last BR loco to move under steam power in normal service.  I think the info is on the Lostock Loco shed website and all the final movements are chronicled.  I think that 5110 was the last to be disposed of and taken under it's own power to the scrap line.   By that time Cromwell had got to Diss for transfer to Bressingham.

Jamie

Sadly the Lostock Hall Website is no longer available, following the links leads you to an advert for running shoes

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Sadly the Lostock Hall Website is no longer available, following the links leads you to an advert for running shoes

Jim

I read through it a few years ago as the final days of steam has always fascinated me.  however I remember trying to look it up recently and not having any success.   Thanks for the info.

Jamie

According to this website 45110 is preserved on the SVR 

https://www.svrwiki.com/LMS_Stanier_Class_5_45110

After it hauled the final leg of the "Fifteen Guinea Special" it followed "Oliver Cromwell" to Lostock Hall.  However, other steam locomotives were noted running on BR after this date.

On August 24th 45428 worked under its own steam from Holbeck to Tyseley a photo of the loco at Derby appearing on page 686 of the November 68 Railway Magazine.

In the December issue it was reported that "On the evening of September 19th, six weeks after the end of steam on B.R., standard class "5" 4-6-0 No. 73050 was noted running under its own steam along the Calder Valley Line in an easterly direction."  More about this on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_5_73050

Chris Turnbull 

According to this website 45110 is preserved on the SVR 

https://www.svrwiki.com/LMS_Stanier_Class_5_45110

After it hauled the final leg of the "Fifteen Guinea Special" it followed "Oliver Cromwell" to Lostock Hall.  However, other steam locomotives were noted running on BR after this date.

On August 24th 45428 worked under its own steam from Holbeck to Tyseley a photo of the loco at Derby appearing on page 686 of the November 68 Railway Magazine.

In the December issue it was reported that "On the evening of September 19th, six weeks after the end of steam on B.R., standard class "5" 4-6-0 No. 73050 was noted running under its own steam along the Calder Valley Line in an easterly direction."  More about this on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_5_73050

Chris Turnbull

When I was regularly travelling around the U.K., one of the things I used to amuse myself by watching for was the “oldest pub”. I found, over time, that they were actually quite numerous. They mostly fall into two categories; pubs which can actually be identified as existing on that site over time, and pubs which incorporate parts of much older structures. It all depends on how you define it.

For the purpose of the discussion, my vote would go to the last locomotive to move under its own steam, on a revenue service, as being the “end of steam” with the acknowledgement that occasional moves took place subsequently as withdrawn or sold locos moved over BR metals, out of revenue service.

• RMweb Gold

When I was regularly travelling around the U.K., one of the things I used to amuse myself by watching for was the “oldest pub”. I found, over time, that they were actually quite numerous. They mostly fall into two categories; pubs which can actually be identified as existing on that site over time, and pubs which incorporate parts of much older structures. It all depends on how you define it.

For the purpose of the discussion, my vote would go to the last locomotive to move under its own steam, on a revenue service, as being the “end of steam” with the acknowledgement that occasional moves took place subsequently as withdrawn or sold locos moved over BR metals, out of revenue service.

I guess that would be Flying Scotsman, 31st August 1969, Kings Cross to Newcastle the last one of its 13 moves over BR in 1969... Edited by adb968008

4472 was privately owned by Alan Peglar, who had a pre-existing contract with BR to allow access to the main lines until 1971(?). Its working of specials and positioning moves doesn't really count, any more that today's similar moves over NR form part of the overall rail strategy of working traffic.

4472 was privately owned by Alan Peglar, who had a pre-existing contract with BR to allow access to the main lines until 1971(?). Its working of specials and positioning moves doesn't really count, any more that today's similar moves over NR form part of the overall rail strategy of working traffic.

...... so, we have (1) workings in revenue service (2) workings of locos withdrawn from traffic, but still owned by BR (3) workings of locos passing out of BR ownership (4) workings by previously sold locos under existing contracts.....

• RMweb Premium

...... so, we have (1) workings in revenue service (2) workings of locos withdrawn from traffic, but still owned by BR (3) workings of locos passing out of BR ownership (4) workings by previously sold locos under existing contracts.....

So how many shades of grey are we going to end up with, we are talking about the 5oth anniversary..........

Jamie

As I remember it:

Saturday 3 August 1868 - end of normal disgrammed steam working plus several specials

Sunday 4 August 1968 - several steam hauled specials

Sunday 11 August 1968 - Fifteen Guinea Special and end of BR steam haulage.

For several weeks thereafter, steam locos which had since been purchased for preservation were allowed to run light engine to their new homes.

4472, privately owned, was allowed to run specials as and when these were arranged.

Steam locos were allowed on the main line to move from one preservation site to another, or from a preservation site to an open day and return, but in light steam and drawn by a diesel, i.e. not under their own power.