Airbrush O-ring problem

Does anyone have any tips for re-inserting a very tight rubber O-ring back into its rightful position? 

It doesn't seem to matter what I do - I've tried re-inserting by hand, tweezers, inserting the ring square-on on the end of something (eg. a pen or similar implement), however the ring is determined not to go in straight, instead constantly contorting into a U shape or stubbornly springing back out.  It is definitely the correct size ring for the valve as it was the manufacturer's original part and I removed it earlier on and it was a perfect fit. 

post-5822-0-00728200-1515267009_thumb.jpg

post-5822-0-59862300-1515267009.jpg

post-5822-0-98463500-1515267009.jpg

I'd imagine there's a knack to springing/flexing it back in, or perhaps a less than obvious trick using something lying around...

Any tips appreciated...

thanks

Al

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any tips for re-inserting a very tight rubber O-ring back into its rightful position? 

Maybe try rubbing the ring in soap or talcum powder to lessen the friction?

Edited by Kylestrome

Guest Model.Maker

Tiniest bit of washup liquid should do the trick.  Just enough to very thinly coat the edge of brush body, then give it a thorough wash and leave to dry overnight

Can it be inserted from the other end, and pushed through into place?

Unfortunately no, the other end is sealed and even if it wasn't it is narrower than the end I am working on.

Have you soaked it in something you shouldn't have whilst it was out causing it to swell? I presume it needs to go into a groove somewhere in there? 

No, the ring hasn't swollen at all, I literally took it out then immediately realized that it needed to go back in.  It is just that it was clearly a very tight fit, and I would imagine that during manufacture the ring would have been inserted by a machine or tool that is able to apply equal pressure on all parts of the ring at all times, while at the same time squeezing the ring so that it is small enough to be inserted (something that my fingers cannot do).

Still, since my original post I have found that the ring will sit comfortably in the other half of the connection (which is the moisture filter), so I am now wondering if the ring wasn't simply forced into the metal valve (as pictured) by the force of the airflow over time.  Anyway, I have an airtight seal now it seems.  I guess ultimately I would have to try a very slightly smaller O-ring should it prove troublesome in use.

Thanks anyway...

Al

Edited by YesTor

Find a rod (plastic/metal/tube/drill shank) which is a loose fit inside of the ring. Insert the Rod into the O ring and then offer it up to the airbrush part. Keeping the rod in place push the O ring into the airbrush.

Edited by meil

Wet the ring with a little washing up liquid as already suggested then try putting the ring on a flat surface and pushing the airbrush part down onto it keeping it perpendicular.

Yeah, the 'lying on a flat surface' was my first line of approach, but the ring is soooo tight that you simply cannot get the metal shaft over it.  I think it was clearly designed to go in once, and once only! :no:

Hi, for what it`s worth, on other jobs, iv`e found soaking the `o` ring in hot water softens them up enough to sometimes  overcome the problem.

Jim.

Hmmm, thanks everyone, but yeah the problem is just the opposite in that the ring is already quite soft and springy and thus it just doesn't want to do anything but spring out of shape.  Anyway, I've inserted the ring into the shaft of the moisture filter (where there is a little more room to play) and it seems fine now.

Thank you    :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...