New Kernow Hornby limited editions..

adb968008

Hornby had 'Skinhead' Cl30 D5509 in early green livery in the 'full-fat' version illustrated and scheduled for production in the 2016 mini-not-a-real-catalogue but it was, along with various other scheduled production items, cancelled later in the year. Since then Hornby has produced an amazingly priced Cl30 model with realistic TTS sound in the Railroad range. With overlap (I'll not say duplication because there is no end of text typed about the accurate simplicity of the body of the former Lima model and the less accurate body but more detailed current Hornby main range one with its powerful drive, must present challenges and choices between the two that may at times be considered too difficult to resolve...

If there was a way of merging the Lima body with tweaks (and provision for variations to suit re-engined types and so on) with the full Hornby mechanism there could be an attractively priced winning range that opens up the options for many more variations.

When you can buy 2 good Railroad models for the price of one from the main range there's something that does not quite add up.

Me, I'm all for no yellow ends as it properly represents my last of steam/new diesel introduction/crossover period that was the Great Eastern between the mid-1950s and early 1960s..

31404 in BR Blue with white bodyside stripe would be a prime candidate for me please Kernow/Hornby!

This was a minor celebrity back in the day and know locally as 'Dennis' or to give it it's full title 'Dennis the Demon' though not actually written on the loco from memory I don't believe.

The stripe really did add something to the BR Blue livery and looked great!

Incidentally I don't think Hornby ever did a super-detailed version of a skinhead in BR Blue livery which was not weathered. Would love a pristine one of those please. 31418 or 31111 would be my choice and I would happily renumber if necessary!

If you can find one you’re in luck with 31111 has Hornby have already done this one, R2571 Edited by eric709

I agree they could make more. But we need ones that will sell.

For everyone’s sake I hope they don’t make 454 as per DCR. The other one didn’t seem to sell, hung around for ages....a niche product.

Make one in mainline - you see lots of resprays in this colour,

Blue /4

Dutch with headcode boxes

White stripe /4 ( I’m halfway through making my own though, easy with some masking tape and a spray can of coach grey )

I’d also like the mainline blue one, but I’d do t think it would sell well, as the shadow franchises kinda seem to fall through the gaps in popular model periods

was it not also a chassis-rot one?

Don't quote me on it, but think the rot boxes were 31110 skinhead in Dutch, 31270 Weathered Blue headcode box (Mine took a while but finally succumbed) and the early Green one(Sorry don't have the D number or Hornby R number).

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Gold

Maybe a train pack opportunity...

The Toilet trainpack.

2x heavily workstained class 31’s, one Drab grey one Blue, 4 regional railways mk1’s, couple of blokes in an orange jacket and a bunch of corgi taxis to get everyone home.

(Toilet was a northern acronym.. Thirty One Inside Loco Expect Trouble).

Edited by adb968008

really??? thats insane they've added extra parts that are never needed. None of the Class 31s have white lights fitted in the tail light position do they??? (even thinking preserved one doing that to avoid fitting the additional headlight box on the end

Yeah thats what happened. They took the working light box and then altered the light set up, which then made the white lights show up in the red rear marker section. Taking the lighting box apart and removing the LED is all thats needed. 

I got the DCR 31, which then became my Large Logo class 31 and had to alter the light box for it to get it right. Oddly enough first releases such as 31452 in Fragonset were done correctly. 

Edited by The Black Hat

Recieved my RTC 31 yestereday and it looks the business apart from 1 thing.

The tail lights on each end light up white when running forward. now i didint think they were suppose to do this so was wondering if they had been modified by the RTC on the real 97204.

if not i can easy rectify this when i take it apart to add sound chip. but it does look a little strange.

Thank for any help

Gareth

Yeah I noticed this at the club too! Minor cock up from Hornby on the lighting front there..the reds should only be reds, not bi colour. D'oh. I'll take a look at it and see if I can sort it out wiring wise as you should just be able to untag one wire. No idea how they've messed that up when it's never been done incorrectly before. Dots are too big yes, easy to fix. 

Edited by Lochnagar

As the dcr/network rail version don't interest me I hadn't come across the bi colour marker lights but snipping the white wire to each light box while putting a sound chip in sorted ot quick and easy. Like the idea of the TOILET PACK or some more Dutch ones as saw plenty go past my signal box 20 odd years ago.

Yeah I noticed this at the club too! Minor cock up from Hornby on the lighting front there..the reds should only be reds, not bi colour. D'oh. I'll take a look at it and see if I can sort it out wiring wise as you should just be able to untag one wire. No idea how they've messed that up when it's never been done incorrectly before. Dots are too big yes, easy to fix. 

They have done it before, the DCR 31 is the same and the Network Rail one.

If my memory is not failing me the RTC red & blue 31s go back to the days when only a single red was used as a tail light. .

[quote name="Pint of Adnams" post="3219204" timestamp="153

If there was a way of merging the Lima body with tweaks (and provision for variations to suit re-engined types and so on) with the full Hornby mechanism there could be an attractively priced winning range that opens up the options for many more variations.

The Lima body pretty much drops onto the full fat chassis. You just need a full fat chassis.....

[quote name="Pint of Adnams" post="3219204" timestamp="153

If there was a way of merging the Lima body with tweaks (and provision for variations to suit re-engined types and so on) with the full Hornby mechanism there could be an attractively priced winning range that opens up the options for many more variations.

The Lima body pretty much drops onto the full fat chassis. You just need a full fat chassis.....

So why not tell Hornby that - it was the company that the proposition of merging the two model lines was directed at? Perhaps it's not such a challenge for them after all...

So why not tell Hornby that - it was the company that the proposition of merging the two model lines was directed at? Perhaps it's not such a challenge for them after all...

It isn't. After the footy, I'll show you

I agree they could make more. But we need ones that will sell.

For everyone’s sake I hope they don’t make 454 as per DCR. The other one didn’t seem to sell, hung around for ages....a niche product.

Make one in mainline - you see lots of resprays in this colour,

Blue /4

Dutch with headcode boxes

White stripe /4 ( I’m halfway through making my own though, easy with some masking tape and a spray can of coach grey )

I’d also like the mainline blue one, but I’d do t think it would sell well, as the shadow franchises kinda seem to fall through the gaps in popular model periods

Its an interesting point you make, ref 31454 in Intercity/DCR colours, was 31452 in DCR a slow seller due to it being a niche market or due to Hornby having already releasing that particular loco in Fragonset Black a few years earlier?

I tend not to have more than one model of any particular loco in my collection, I wanted 31452 in DCR so my model of 31452 in FR black was disposed of, with the cost of locos being high, folk might not have wanted another model of 452 so soon after the last one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

..........apologies for sounding like a broken record, but...... nameplates and certificates for 50010, anyone had theirs arrive yet?

Not yet.

I’m sure they will come, though i’d Imagine posting Bulleids will be first priority.

Looking at the Facebook page,the picture shows a nicely manicured shop over run with huge cardboard boxes from China and Royal Mail sacks.

• 5 months later...

After Hornby yet again fail to provide us a main range 31/4 in Blue or Mainline Intercity version, it’s down to you Kernow to follow up last years commissions and provide us with a key Locomotive from the 80’s/90’s that is missing. A wide geographic area covered by these locomotives mean many layouts would benefit from one.

Then there is a 31/1, 31/2 and 31/3 in Original Railfreight minus red stripe.

The above plus 31/5 in Dutch/Engineers plain Grey. So many variants yet to be produced.

Really not sure why Hornby have not done a blue 31/4 with centre headlight or off set. They have the tooling, as they have produced Regional Railways (Centre headlight), DCR (Offset Headlight) and Fragonset (Offset Headlight) 31/4’s in the past. Would a DCR or Fragonset version really out sell a bog standard workhorse Blue version? No way. They’d sell a boat load.

It’s one of Hornby’s annoying habits that they keep producing quirky oddities that often have such a narrow timeline that not many would fit on many layouts.

So come on Kernow! There’s money burning a hole in my pocket here!! (And I suspect many more pockets are smouldering as well).

• Like 1

After Hornby yet again fail to provide us a main range 31/4 in Blue or Mainline Intercity version, it’s down to you Kernow to follow up last years commissions and provide us with a key Locomotive from the 80’s/90’s that is missing. A wide geographic area covered by these locomotives mean many layouts would benefit from one.

Then there is a 31/1, 31/2 and 31/3 in Original Railfreight minus red stripe.

The above plus 31/5 in Dutch/Engineers plain Grey. So many variants yet to be produced.

Really not sure why Hornby have not done a blue 31/4 with centre headlight or off set. They have the tooling, as they have produced Regional Railways (Centre headlight), DCR (Offset Headlight) and Fragonset (Offset Headlight) 31/4’s in the past. Would a DCR or Fragonset version really out sell a bog standard workhorse Blue version? No way. They’d sell a boat load.

It’s one of Hornby’s annoying habits that they keep producing quirky oddities that often have such a narrow timeline that not many would fit on many layouts.

So come on Kernow! There’s money burning a hole in my pocket here!! (And I suspect many more pockets are smouldering as well).

Why not send that as a message to KMRC directly? Can easily be missed on this forum.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I agree with the point above, and not wanting to get into the speculative nitty-gritty of Hornby's livery release philosophy, might it be the case that commissioners would indeed love to release such livery examples, but Hornby want to keep a couple of 'bankers' in the bag for the future?