Minix (and other) car improvements

quicksilvercoaches

Another one from @m0rris. I bought this LDV intending to convert it into a minibus but then he made a minibus version so I bought that instead. This one was inspired by a photo of a Dutch fire tender, not based on a specific brigade but a generic industrial light appliance with the Rover V8. I added a plasticard bulkhead and a rear seat from the spares box and fabricated a ladder rack from plasticard and staples to mount the Scale Model Scenery ladder on.

N680AOJ.jpg.d86d33e9cc3e766a34614ca64ef46cb0.jpg

This is the last of my previous purchases. There is one more batch of recent releases bought a few weeks ago that haven't been started on yet.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Crayford also made a convertible of the Ford Corsair, the Minix model would be a good start.

Not quite as easy though. The Minix Corsair is a 4-door so it'd need some adjustment to the door mouldings (and an interior fabricating). Someone on Facebook suggested a Crayford Mk3 Cortina, which would be difficult for the same reason.

Edited by quicksilvercoaches
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

Not quite as easy though. The Minix Corsair is a 4-door so it'd need some adjustment to the door mouldings (and an interior fabricating). Someone on Facebook suggested a Crayford Mk3 Cortina, which would be difficult for the same reason.

The interior (and wheels) could come from the Oxford Cortina. The original door shut lines could be filled with Milliput and new ones scored. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

I found a photo of a Crayford Consul Capri that I didn't know existed and liked the look of so I decided to model it

I assume it would be very difficult to tell if a convertible stared out as a 2-door Classic or a Capri in real life.

• Like 3

As the roof of saloon cars forms part of the strength of the car, its removal leaves a loss of structural strength. Cars built as convertibles have stronger, usually deeper, sills to compensate. Conversions have to have extra strength built into that area, this may be visible from outside or hidden underneath. Or if a bodge job, ignored....

Edited by stewartingram
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

A couple more Oxfords have met the hacksaw. I found a photo of a Crayford Consul Capri that I didn't know existed and liked the look of so I decided to model it, and a Mk1 Cortina got the same treatment while I was at it.

How do you make the folded down roof?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

I'm not sure how Adam, @quicksilvercoaches does it but Milliput is most likely. Just coming onto the market are 3D pens*, perhaps these could be used for creating the folded roofs. I will be looking at them this weekend and probably buying one to experiment with. *Same principle as a 3D printer but used like a pen or pencil.

5 hours ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

I have a couple of the Minix Corsairs, and both have cracks running up the middles of the body sides. It appears to me to be a weakness of this particular moulding. However, that would make it easier to justify hacking them into convertibles and filling in the door shut lines anyway.

Edited by SRman
Typos.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sandwich station said:

They're resin copies of the Cararama MGB hood that a friend did a few years ago to use up the little bits of leftover resin from other projects. I'm running out now so must ask him to do some more.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1