RMweb

Southampton Model Railway Exhibition 27th and 28th January 2018

Godfrey Glyn

• RMweb Gold

Although I have seen some banners appearing on RMWeb I thought it was time to start a thread to remind you all that the Southampton Exhibition takes place this week-end at Barton Peveril College, Chestnut Avenue, Eastleigh - Sat Nav SO50 5BX.

Full details can be found at https://southamptonmodelrailwaysociety.wordpress.com

It is my local exhibition and I always find it worthwhile to go on both days as there is so much to see and admire. The layouts are of a very high standard and this year they have Burntisland 1883: 4mm P4 as their featured layout. Parking on the Sunday is particularly easy with lots of space in the side streets.

all the very best

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

Very good layouts, pretty good trade, inadequate parking, not so great venue and very overcrowded. Went for the first time last year and there won't be a third.

Have to say with your comments and attitudes on more than one exhibition thread, you won't be missed.

Jerry

I went today also.  There was an excellent selection of layouts, a variety to suit all tastes.  It was worth going to see Burntisland again on one of its rare forays down South.  The trade stands were a good mix too, as usual.  Despite what was said above, although it was quite crowded, it was not uncomfortably so.  With a little patience I managed to get a good look at all the layouts.  Parking has always been a problem at this venue but don't let that fact put anyone off going along, there is enough on street parking nearby.

I go every year and I thought this was the best exhibition since they moved to the current venue.

Martin

Some really nice layouts at the show and the exhibitors were all friendly and helpful however I was disappointed by the traders.

I found the prices of everything that they were selling was inflated significantly and whilst I expect to pay a small premium for a real shop, with real people I don't expect to be 'ripped off' as was the case on several items. I was looking for a budget airbrush among other things and the price asked was more than double I can get the same item from another bricks and mortar store, similarly layout with (16/0.2) was almost 3 time the price from an electrical store. These are 2 specific items but generally in its that all stuff was dearer.

If traders want us to buy stuff at the shows then they must be price competitive, and buyers must be must aware of the prices available elsewhere and make this known to the traders - they hobby is expensive enough without being charged 'through the nose'.

But as I said, layouts very good - though a bit more space around would he made it even more enjoyable.

Edited by WIMorrison

As some know, I was there on Sunday.  The road network was clutter-free first thing and I was on site before 09.30.  I had been given to understand that breakfast would be available - a welcome innovation - and at 10.00 it was.  The fried bread was exemplary - golden and crunchy and so, so much better than I can make!  I found the new layout of the cafeteria confusing.  If there are two counters you can bet your bottom dollar that I will go to the wrong one and thus it was.  I was disappointed that the appetising food was served not on one of the nice white china plates stacked neatly waiting for action but in a rectangular biodegradable platter.  The practice of charging customers to make their own tea is becoming widespread but at least the water was boiling: take note, Switzerland.  Lunch was a delicious shepherds pie easily distinguishable from the cardboard box in which it was served.  [i'm used to that because I happen to be an aficionado of Tom's Pies and no trip to Sidmouth FolkWeek is complete without at least one.]

Feeding my face was not the prime purpose of the trip.  Once again exhibition manager David Barker and his team had lined up a good selection of layouts.  As one of those strange P4 people it will be no surprise that I was drawn to Burntisland, where the gents in top hats did a great job of explaining things to the admiring congregation and I wondered mischievously whether that sported by Jim Summers was a souvenir of his trip to the Palace to collect his MBE.  Much Murkle was on good form when I saw it.  Next door was a fine depiction of Llanfair Careinion by Andy Cundick, perpetrator of Valencia Harbour IIRC, and nearby the next on the rota of Dave Tailby's compact layouts in EM, Victoria.  It would have been nice to see typical layers of crud on his parcels vans but he said that they do not all belong to him.  OK, I believe you.   The layout to which I returned most was Navigation Road, an EM essay set in the blue diesel era when retrenchment is beginning to set in.   It is one of those layouts where you do not spot everything on the first or even second viewing.

There was lots of learning to be done from the demonstrators.  I made a beeline for Roy Mears's table which was well stocked with LNER coaches and also admired the work of one of the guys on the EMGS stand whose name I really ought to know by now [sorry Sir].

The supply of traders was well balanced.  It must be difficult to cater for all tastes and if the show moves any further towards becoming a finescale event - and the makings are there - there could be difficult decisions as to who stays, who comes and who goes.  Somehow I think that the boat will nor be rocked unduly.  There was one very welcome absentee, namely anyone peddling pre-owned junk.  I refer not to members' sales, where there were some genuinely interesting items to be had, but the sort of stuff that makes you wonder why anyone bought it.

I hope to attend next year.

Chris

• Like 2

Living in Australia I don't get to many exhibitions but I thought this one was very good with some excellent layouts, several masters of the craft at the demos and a number of hard-to-reach traders in attendance. I was especially pleased to get the chance to see Burntisland, to chat with Jerry Clifford and Peter Squibb and to shop with C&L Finescale.

My thanks to the organisers and exhibitors.