Up to date information on DCC decoders

chriswright03

• RMweb Gold

Payment cock-ups happen. I had been with BR for three or more years when I got a letter from what we might now call the DSS asking why I had made no NI payments for some time. Obviously not my problem, as my employer should have been making them for me. It turned out that a junior clerk in the Divisional Staff Office was simply unaware of this part of his/her duties. Loadsa people had apparently not paid their NI. Sorted. 

I see the Zimo situation as comparable. If their decoder pricing continues as now they will get more of my business. 

I have given up with a 6 Function DCC Concepts Zen 218 

That particular decoder is awful. The older version (4-function) was fine but they burn out very easily. I'm gradually replacing them as they go pop with better ones.

The new Bachmann is an ESU and it's pretty good, and quite cheap.

I've been very impressed with Zimo and Lenz. Huge range of options and very responsive. The ability to 'turn off' inertia effects with a function button is great, for example.

I have given up with a 6 Function DCC Concepts Zen 218 
That particular decoder is awful. The older version (4-function) was fine but they burn out very easily. I'm gradually replacing them as they go pop with better ones.

It is only 0.75A rated so I had intended to use it in a Kernow 4-TC. Have emailed a set of queries to DCC Concepts and await their reply.........

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

Just to close this off from my point of view I decided in the end to go with the Bachmann 21 and 8 pin decoders.  My reason being they have been spoken of as being decent on here and I would rather give them a try than spend that bit more so that if they are OK great but if they aren't that good I will use them on something else and see about sound decoders for the two DMU in the future.

I am hoping that Hornby do a TTS decoder at some point of the 108 or 150 but if not I will stick with the Bachmann decoders as long as they are working well.  It is an end to end of just over 11' long so slow running is going to be more important than continual running or speed as it will not be called for.

I think the thread has served a purpose for me but hopefully for others as well if it has updated the thinking about what is on offer now and not five years ago.

Thanks to everyone that has replied.

Just to close this off from my point of view I decided in the end to go with the Bachmann 21 and 8 pin decoders......

Just make sure that the Bachmann 21-pin ...36-557...is the new ESU one (Blue colour) and not old stock (the Soundtraxx green coloured one).

Quite a few dealers may still be carrying old stock.

Good luck Chris.

Ron

p.s. Again, totally crazy that Bachmann have re-used the same catalogue number for a completely different product.

• RMweb Gold

Just make sure that the Bachmann 21-pin ...36-557...is the new ESU one (Blue colour) and not old stock (the Soundtraxx green coloured one).

Good luck Chris.

Ron

p.s. Again, totally crazy that Bachmann have re-used the same catalogue number for a completely different product.

I recall that Paignton Model Shop told me some time ago that Bachmann decoders had become unobtainable, so I suspect most stocks will have gone prior to the new version being distributed. 

• RMweb Gold

Good luck Chris.

Ron

This appears to be the new decoder (blue)

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Bachmann-36-557-EZ-Command-1-Amp-4-Function-21-Pin-DCC-Decoder-with-Back-EMF/

Hattons, Rails and Track-shack all show the older green model in their pictures, whether you actually get that one is another matter. Perhaps Chris will let us know?

https://railsofsheffield.com/e-z-command-1-amp-4-function-21-pin-dcc-decoder-back-emf-JJJA19370