Hornby R3659 renumbered 67027 Charlotte?

I see on Hornby's site, R3659 specification has changed. Formerly 67023 'Stella' now is 67027 'Charlotte'. 

See: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/diesel-electric-locomotives/colas-rail-freight-class-67-bo-bo-67027-era-11.html 

Description

67027 Charlotte was built at Alstom's Valencia works in August 2000, entering traffic with EWS, under lease from Angel Trains. Between September 2002 and March 2014, the locomotive carried the name Rising Star, but in October 2016, along with 67023, 67027 was offered for sale by DB Schenker Rail UK (now DB Cargo UK).
Colas Rail purchased the pair in early 2017 for the haulage of high speed test trains for their Network Rail contract, repainting them in Colas orange, yellow and black livery in April 2017. 

Anyone know why? Perhaps the name was changed due to a certain beer? Or maybe Charlotte is an exclusive to Hornby direct? I shall send an email come Monday!

r3659-colas-class-67.jpg

Odd how it’s changed. Unless there was an error within and there will be both models released. It’d be nice little touch if Hornby add brake discs as Dapol have done in their 68’s, think this subtle mod has made a big difference in appearance to the models.

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought ‘stella’ would have been the better one to produce as it has shorter nameplates so renumbering and renaming to charlotte simply meant sticking the longer plates over the top of the (I assume) printed ones?

As a slight aside the real things are off together on a freight job Saturday night so the model isn’t just limited to pulling yellow coaches any more

• RMweb Gold

Anyhoo I’ve spoken to the bloke who deals with things like this at work and it’s nothing sinister, just a change for a reason that doesnt need to be discussed deeply here, no conspiracy theories, no ‘special editions’ etc, just one of those commercial things that change from time to time

89818A2E-BF02-4A9B-AF01-9F1F12299092.jpg

It was the same with the Colas Class 60. Instead of doing an unnamed loco, Hornby picked the Colas Class 60 loco with the longest nameplate as far as I know. It's almost like they want to dissuade you from buying extra models to renumber. Same story again with the DB Schenker 60.

It was the same with the Colas Class 60. Instead of doing an unnamed loco, Hornby picked the Colas Class 60 loco with the longest nameplate as far as I know. It's almost like they want to dissuade you from buying extra models to renumber. Same story again with the DB Schenker 60.

...and the same this year with the Loadhaul 60 'John Loudon McAdam'...  :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...

Presumably given the ribbed body side position of the namplate, an etch will be provided without the need to print them on the side, as Bachmann have just done with 66779. This means all that is needed for renumbering is, well, a renumber! I guess wait and see how Hornby produce it.

Presumably given the ribbed body side position of the namplate, an etch will be provided without the need to print them on the side, as Bachmann have just done with 66779. This means all that is needed for renumbering is, well, a renumber! I guess wait and see how Hornby produce it.

Have Hornby previously printed names on their 67's such as the named DB/EWS variants which are ones that come to mind?

Edited by classy52

Have Hornby previously printed names on their 67's such as the named DB/EWS variants which are ones that come to mind?

Good call. Yes they have. Bang goes my theory.

TBH the best nameplate solution I have seen is that Dapol Western 'dotted line' giving an indication of poisition and height of plate, without interfering with the final etched item.

• Like 1

Good call. Yes they have. Bang goes my theory.

TBH the best nameplate solution I have seen is that Dapol Western 'dotted line' giving an indication of poisition and height of plate, without interfering with the final etched item.

Now the plot thickens, did some googling on past Hornby 67's and noticed that on DB 67013 'Keith Heller' the nameplate is printed on the cab side and not on the ribbed body side and this is the same for the EWS 67025 'Western Star'.

So with the prototype Colas 67027 'Charlotte' the name isn't on the cab side as you already know thus Hornby may just refrain from going thru the hassle of printing this name on the ribbed body side and supplying the etched nameplates to fit which now leaves everyone the opportunity to buy 2 and you only need to renumber the other to 67023 on the cab sides/front and purchasing the Stella etched nameplate from Shawplan.

Actually does anyone own the Hornby R3388TTS Class 67 67004 "Cairn Gorm", this will confirm if the name is printed on the ribbed body side or not thus may dictate whether Hornby do the same on the Colas 67.

Edited by classy52

Now the plot thickens, did some googling on past Hornby 67's and noticed that on DB 67013 'Keith Heller' the nameplate is printed on the cab side and not on the ribbed body side and this is the same for the EWS 67025 'Western Star'.

So with the prototype Colas 67027 'Charlotte' the name isn't on the cab side as you already know thus Hornby may just refrain from going thru the hassle of printing this name on the ribbed body side and supplying the etched nameplates to fit which now leaves everyone the opportunity to buy 2 and you only need to renumber the other to 67023 on the cab sides/front and purchasing the Stella etched nameplate from Shawplan.

Actually does anyone own the Hornby R3388TTS Class 67 67004 "Cairn Gorm", this will confirm if the name is printed on the ribbed body side or not thus may dictate whether Hornby do the same on the Colas 67.

Looking at the pics of 67004 and also the Chiltern 67s, Hornby have unfortunately printed on the ribbed body side...

Looking at the pics of 67004 and also the Chiltern 67s, Hornby have unfortunately printed on the ribbed body side...

Cairn Gorm is indeed printed onto the side of 67004. Hornby has also provided a printed lump of plastic to stick over it (ugh). The name was used on 60073 and an etched nameplate is available from Shawplan. Unfortunately, I think I’m right in saying that 67004’s nameplates are new and use a different font, so that 60073’s plates would not look right. It’s a problem waiting for a solution.

• RMweb Premium

I see on Hornby's site, R3659 specification has changed. Formerly 67023 'Stella' now is 67027 'Charlotte'. 

See: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/diesel-electric-locomotives/colas-rail-freight-class-67-bo-bo-67027-era-11.html 

Anyone know why? Perhaps the name was changed due to a certain beer? Or maybe Charlotte is an exclusive to Hornby direct? I shall send an email come Monday!

r3659-colas-class-67.jpg

Stella is a beer. Charlotte is a pretty little princess who is fourth in line to the Throne.

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember reading somewhere that only one of the two ladies these are named after actually works for Colas. I can't remember which one !

Maybe Colas just wanted the model to be of the one who works for them ??

Cheers,

Phil.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got mine from Barry and Gill at Widnes Model Centre today (as with the rest of my Colaa locos)

Very nice model, now just missing a Colas 47!

Recommended.

Lovely photo and collection of Colas locos. 

How much was the Colas 67 from Widnes Model Centre? 

Thank you in advance. 

Thank you for the link. I wasn't aware of this shop selling the Colas 47. 

• Like 1