RMweb

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

My favourite "foodie" was by far Keith Floyd. I can't (won't !!) cook - but his programmes were always entertaining. Here's Keith having a "slurp" !!.

5c697c9cc52f0458f2edf78d209de125aed312fe

R.I.P Keith

The Hairy Bikers are entertaining, but I can't stand the rest, especially the "Bake Off" - what a turn off !!

As to Rick Stein, last time I was in Padstow was back in 1963 - steam hauled by  N class No 31840. Was there for as long as it took the loco to run round & take water, so no chips, no nothing. !!.

I don't watch much TV, and we don't have subscription TV, Just paid 140 odd quid for the rip off licence TV is such a PITA to me these days.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

Keith George, on 31 Jan 2018 - 16:50, said:Keith George, on 31 Jan 2018 - 16:50, said:

Gok Wan,  who calls himself a fashion consultant.

...When they come on I honestly feel like I am going to vomit,

Keith

I thought that may have been an anagram, I had to google him. Suits him though.

Yes, another vomit inducer.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another one is that Gordon Ramsey who supposedly threw out a customer in his London restaurant for asking for some ketchup.

Allan

Remember, the customer is never right, I must admit I've always thought most businesses would run much more efficiently and happily if they weren't constantly distracted by riff raff like customers. I have found the difference between wannabe high end restaurants and genuine ones is that the properly good ones accommodate their customers and don't force their own ideas on them.

• Like 3

Guest teacupteacup

David Walliams makes me feel dirty and violated

My sisters kids cry when he is on TV, they run and hide

Creepy f****r

• RMweb Premium

I never really got William Woollard. Or Murray Walker although I do have a sneaking admiration for anybody that can make a good career out of being an over excitable incompetent idiot the way Walker did.

Dan Snow. Pretty much everything I've seen him in seems to concentrate on him showing off his manly profile whilst dressed as Action Man rather than having any worthwhile footage of the subject matter.

Foodie hate? Heston Blumenthal, who seems to be having a very lucrative laugh by exploring just how revolting a concoction people will pay top money for and pretend to enjoy.

I used to think Jamie Oliver was a bit of a prat but he seems to have grown up a lot of late, and it's hard to argue against his school meals campaigns being a good thing.

• RMweb Premium

I am sure Heston Blumenthal is enjoying a private joke seeing how outrageous he can be and still have people lapping it up. A few years ago he did a series in which I'd estimate almost nobody would have tried the recipes as they were so impractical for most people (such as making ice cream with liquid nitrogen and making a tandoor in the garden with a JCB).

Dan Snow. Pretty much everything I've seen him in seems to concentrate on him showing off his manly profile whilst dressed as Action Man rather than having any worthwhile footage of the subject matter.

Foodie hate? Heston Blumenthal, who seems to be having a very lucrative laugh by exploring just how revolting a concoction people will pay top money for and pretend to enjoy.

I used to think Jamie Oliver was a bit of a prat but he seems to have grown up a lot of late, and it's hard to argue against his school meals campaigns being a good thing.

With you on the first example. Though he went up a notch with me when he had a go at Churchill.

Heston on the box I find OTT but having eaten at The Fat Duck I would not say a word against his food.

Still a prat as regards his business dealings. Just how much money has he lost in the last few years?

Bernard

Having eaten at a few Celebrity chef places, and own a collection of cookbooks by them, while certain chefs do annoy me. I have to say some of the best meals I have eaten have been at these places:

Rick Steins Seafood Restaurant Padstow, 3 times I have eaten there. I had the best curry I have ever eaten in the form of a Goan Monkfish curry, and the previous visit the Fruits De Mer was stunning. The Lobster and Foie Gras salad was just amazing, as was the Turbot on the bone, but Mrs Wollastonblue reckons the Singapore Sir Fried Crab is one of the best things she has ever eaten. It is worth the money IMO.

The Waterside Inn, Bray. Michel Roux Snrs place which holds 3 Michelin stars is an experience to behold. Yes the bill was £144 for me (I went on my own), but the food was spectacular, and the wine recommendations from the Somellier were unbelievable.

The Fat Duck, Bray. Heston is a mad scientist, and it does play with all you senses. The sound of the Sea is an incredible dish, and it's mad that the dish tastes different without the the sound playing in your ears. While Heston may not have the personality of say Keith Floyd, he makes up for it in creativity. One of the things he wrote is completely true, that food can taste better depending on the environment, and moment. The example he used was imagine sitting outside a restaurant on the banks of the Loire, and the bottle of Rose you ordered is fantastic, so you go to the nearest place and bring 2 case home with you. When you get round to opening it, it tastes completely different. Oysters to me taste far better near the sea, than when I do them at home.

Mentioning Jay Rayner, his books and restaurant reviews are brilliant to read.

As I always to say to Mrs Wollastonblue, who wouldn't look at a Mussel before I met her, you don't know you don't like it until you try it. She adores Seafood now.  

Edited by wollastonblue

• RMweb Premium

You missed out a nought.

Ant and Dec's net worth: The STAGGERING amount the Britain's Got ...
https://www.ok.co.uk › Celebrity Feature

3 days ago - ANT McPartlin and wife Lisa Armstrong are divorcing, which has led to speculation regarding the divorce settlement, and Ant's net worth.

No what they are really worth, two wages with a bit on for some late hours

• RMweb Premium

Its even funnier when they pay three times as much worse at the end of the camel Trail is his fish and chip joint£12+ for cod and chips,my local charges * but along the way in the town the old local chippie does it for 6.

abit like 15 at Wtergate Bay £55 for a taster menu without the plonk over £70 with and thats just lunch!

My son teraches in West Cornwall and cannot afford a mortgage there because of the inflayed prices comers in will pay for a country residence.

rant over

down with Stein, Nathan Outlaw and all the other types who will charge and pay West End prices because of a name

I would love to move to Cornwall but prices are much much too high. Everything being bought up by Londoners for second homes (eg Helford Village).

My cousin only got a house there due to a covenant on it. Had to be owned by a local.

Where I live is OK but I don't really belong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My favourite "foodie" was by far Keith Floyd. I can't (won't !!) cook - but his programmes were always entertaining. Here's Keith having a "slurp" !!.

5c697c9cc52f0458f2edf78d209de125aed312fe

R.I.P Keith

The Hairy Bikers are entertaining, but I can't stand the rest, especially the "Bake Off" - what a turn off !!

As to Rick Stein, last time I was in Padstow was back in 1963 - steam hauled by  N class No 31840. Was there for as long as it took the loco to run round & take water, so no chips, no nothing. !!.

I don't watch much TV, and we don't have subscription TV, Just paid 140 odd quid for the rip off licence TV is such a PITA to me these days.

Brit15

Last year it was worth it JUST for Blue Planet 2

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tom Kerridge - another poncy foodie trying to make simple food too pretentious and over the top.

Keith Floyd was the best TV cook - well, other than Nigella at her sauciest best :angel:

I used to work with another guy who would join me in crewing up a one way trip into space for musicians - but that's probably best left to another thread!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember, the customer is never right, I must admit I've always thought most businesses would run much more efficiently and happily if they weren't constantly distracted by riff raff like customers. I have found the difference between wannabe high end restaurants and genuine ones is that the properly good ones accommodate their customers and don't force their own ideas on them.

Aghhh eating out.

There are so many foods I do not like that I sometimes have trouble finding something I like, fixed meals would really pee me off.

Do not like

Sea bugs -  Many fish dishes contain them, I do like some white fish and Mackerel.

Bacon & Ham - Pork which has been ruined, waste of pig.

Eggs - vomit.

Peas - that texture.

Coffee - disgusting.

Baked beans - horrific.

So I will order a nice chicken dish, infected with bacon.

Roast meal - peas

Steak - peas

Cheese salad roll - why eggs?

Burgers - STOP ADDING BACON

So I tend to eat at places with simple meals or something like Indian cuisine.

I have before asked for (and not received) sprouts rather than peas.

I KNOW what I like and do not like so stop trying to make me eat what you THINK I should like.

Why does chicken require bits of chemical filled preserved pig?

Why is pig being salted and smoked rather than smothered in sauces and cooked nicely?

Why are sea bugs (prawns) being added to white fish dishes?

Why are peas the prefered greens with so many meals, why not sprouts, or brocolli, or runner beans?

Who decided that burgers need pickled yuk in them?

Who decided Briosh buns were needed with burgers?

Why did so many places decide that breakfast had to be full of stuff I dislike, I remember once when young having a burger and chips at 07:00 due to hate of fried eggs, bacon, baked beans ect.

Fish - a sea living cold blooded vertibrate.

Prawn - a sea living bug.

Bacon - fatty salty chemical filled ruined pork.

There are loads I like (beef chicken pork cod), others I will eat (lamb, deer). Veg it is only a few I hate but they are most common.

Enough ranting, but chefs - aghhhhhh.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, but I don't know who they are, and have no desire to find out!

I do not know the following

Reality show participants*.

Talent show people.

Large numbers of minor sportspeople and hangers on such as most footballers, pundits, cricketers ect. (I could name more Olympic rowers for example than England footballers).

TV made bands as created by the likes of X factor.

* Except Ozzy and his wife as I have seen Ozzy live.

So these people are brought onto a TV programme and I am supposed to know who they are?

I never really got William Woollard. Or Murray Walker although I do have a sneaking admiration for anybody that can make a good career out of being an over excitable incompetent idiot the way Walker did.

Murray was brilliant.

And it was his hobby not his job.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I personally can't stand Nigella, but each to their own.

She is incredibly fake on her shows.

David Walliams makes me feel dirty and violated

My sisters kids cry when he is on TV, they run and hide

Creepy f****r

I know what you mean.

USED to be funny.

Now annoying.