The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

• RMweb Gold

There's varying degrees of "Hate" which, in effect, is a stronger way of expressing your feelings for something or someone without meaning anything really - So I ain't changing nuffink!  :beee:  

In other words, I hate what they do, not who they are which is mainly treating me as an imbecile and getting well and truly overpaid for it.

I understand your point, Allan. And, as I know you, I am fully aware that you do not have any evil intent in using the word "hate".

Unfortunately, there are too many morons out there (although not perhaps on RMWeb) who don't get the nuances. Look at that incident involving Eddie Jones at Manchester, or various attacks on politicians.

• RMweb Premium

My problem with most "comedians" is they feel they have to use lots of swear words to make things funny, hence I can't be bothered with the vast majority of them... Having said that it's not just in comedy that applies, it seems that most modern drama and films have been struck by the same disease... 

I don't mind swearing, but am fed up with being over used.

As punctuation, boring.

As punctuation, boring.

Totally agree 100%

Any movie that has "Mxxxxxker" in the first line of  dialoque gets instantly switched off in our house no matter who's in it, or how promising it may look.

It seems that most US movies today rely too heavily on this disgusting phrase  to make any impression at all.

OMG - Jeremy Clarkston to host Millionaire!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43342726

Jim

Should be alright providing he  doesn't punch the contestants in the face.

But just imagine the uproar if they relaunched it with Chris Evans as the host instead !!!

Doesn't even bear thinking about.

Chris%2BEvans%2BTop%2BGear%2Bpresenter%2

Edited by allan downes

Good point, I agree with you on that... Mrs Browns Boys (or whatever its called) falls into that category, though I suspect I will now get lots of people saying that it's brilliant... Different tastes, eh!

Should be alright providing he  doesn't punch the contestants in the face.

But just imagine the uproar if they relaunched it with Chris Evans as the host instead !!!

Doesn't even bear thinking about.

Chris%2BEvans%2BTop%2BGear%2Bpresenter%2

In times past, if one saw a picture of someone who looked like this or a lot of others on this topic, it wouldn't be possible to see how they achieved any sort of fame, anywhere.

Brian.

I find Harry Hill about 'as funny as a baby with cancer', as Spike Milligan once described some modern 'comedy'.

Funnily enough that description is my view of Spike Milligan, which just goes to show how wildly different people's opinions and tastes vary; Which is perfectly OK, as none of us is forced to watch those we don't like or find amusing.

Funnily enough that description is my view of Spike Milligan, which just goes to show how wildly different people's opinions and tastes vary; Which is perfectly OK, as none of us is forced to watch those we don't like or find amusing.

I'm not a keen Spike Milligan fan either. Pete and Dud were more my thing.

Agree absolutely - Is there not enough real hatred in the world already, that it has to be extended to somebody on TV we will almost certainly never meet, and who can be dismissed in an instant with the remote control ?

Anyway, I think Harry Hill is brilliant (and for anyone who disagrees, there's only one way to settle it !)

Thing is if we are all reading this.........who is getting the badgers ready for the badgers parade? Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 2

I enjoy Mrs Brown's Boys, am ambivalent towards Harry Hill, could never get Spike Milligan and never enjoyed Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's fraightfully middle clarse graduate humour. Above all that though I utterly detested Little Britain, the most unfunny, repetitive over-rated so called comedy of the recent past. It was a true Emperor's New Clothes type programme where if you wanted to be on trend you had to find it funny and talk about it in the office. Oh, and that was another so called comedy I couldn't stand, Ricky Gervaise is someone I would be glad if he never surfaced on any entertainment media ever again.

On bad language it doesn't really bother me for the most part, if the situation in which it is used is entertaining me. It's when some pretentious let's shock everyone pseudo-comedian (Simon Brodkin, I have you in my gunsights...)whose material is pathetic, lord-mayors his way through his set, that it becomes tedious. You can have good and bad clean humour, and you can have good and bad sweary humour. It's the quality of the material around the sweary bits and context that counts. Nobody but nobody will ever convince me that Peter Capaldi's bravura delivery of Armando Iannucci's Baroque swearfest scripts as Malcolm Tucker in "The Thick of It" was un-necessary.

Edited by wombatofludham

I enjoy Mrs Brown's Boys, am ambivalent towards Harry Hill, could never get Spike Milligan and never enjoyed Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's fraightfully middle clarse graduate humour. Above all that though I utterly detested Little Britain, the most unfunny, repetitive over-rated so called comedy of the recent past. It was a true Emperor's New Clothes type programme where if you wanted to be on trend you had to find it funny and talk about it in the office. Oh, and that was another so called comedy I couldn't stand, Ricky Gervaise is someone I would be glad if he never surfaced on any entertainment media ever again.

On bad language it doesn't really bother me for the most part, if the situation in which it is used is entertaining me. It's when some pretentious let's shock everyone pseudo-comedian (Simon Brodkin, I have you in my gunsights...)whose material is pathetic, lord-mayors his way through his set, that it becomes tedious. You can have good and bad clean humour, and you can have good and bad sweary humour. It's the quality of the material around the sweary bits and context that counts. Nobody but nobody will ever convince me that Peter Capaldi's bravura delivery of Armando Iannucci's Baroque swearfest scripts as Malcolm Tucker in "The Thick of It" was un-necessary.

Agree with most of that superbly written post, Mark, but not all.

However, no expletives can possibly match those that blast forth in great volume from within the workshop when I'm soldering !

I prefer Pete and Dud as Derek and Clive to their 60s satire, although Peter Cook could be very funny in his own right. I think the show he did with Clive Anderson shortly before he died when he came on as all four guests was a work of comedy genius.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23t6x8

Clive Anderson can be bloody annoying though.

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Near the end of his life Peter Cook did a radio series with Chris Morris called Why Bother which in my opinion was some of Cook's best work and comic brilliance. He played his character of Sir Arthur Streeb Greebling, it is on YouTube and well worth listening to. I enjoyed Derek and Clive but the last record, Ad Nauseum, went too far in places I thought.

• Like 1

Anything with Jimmy Edwards in it, the master of corn the doyen of annoyance.

He did an appalling series on TV once where he and Mervin Hayes ?  did a medievil thing about knights or some such absolute rubbish.

Anyone recall it ?

His headmaster atrocity in " Whack Oh !"  was probably even worse.

05d005376ad520cb5fe5bbaf3f574e5ab38f3f9a

I utterly detested Little Britain, the most unfunny, repetitive over-rated so called comedy of the recent past. 

Agreed. Not only was it is totally unfunny, the fact that it was obviously nothing more than propaganda for politically correct issues made it nauseatingly so.

OK as this is about the best as well as worst, in my opinion, the best new stuff on TV in the recent past by an absolute MILE, has to be 'Inside no 9'. Intelligent scripts, imaginative storylines, and twists you can't see coming. I think they're an absolute delight as well as being amazing, thought provoking and sometimes terrifying. Oh, and that Christmas special a couple of years back from the same stable, 'The Beast of Christmas', was the only stand out program that year amid the usual dross. I do hope they get some recognition for their clear and obvious talent.

"Open all hours "

Apart from "The two Ronnies ", there was nothing else that I really liked when big Ronnie split up with little Ronnie to do such sit comes as "Porridge" and that  it might have been his own personal favourite, it did absolutely nothing at all for me.

Now David Jason as far as I'm concerned cannot possibly do anything wrong.

As Frost,  well,there could never have possibly been a better choice.

open_all_hours.jpg

David%2BJason%2Bas%2BFrost.jpg