White/Blue Refurbished DMU livery

bennyboy

• RMweb Premium

Slightly off topic but I hope relevant, in the period immediately after refurb when headcodes were no longer in use, it seems inconsistent whether the destinatìon blinds were. I've found a couple of photos of my unit running with no destination showing in the box but would that be more likely a permanent thing, eg if, say, blinds weren't generally replaced once damaged or is it probably just temporary?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Slightly off topic but I hope relevant, in the period immediately after refurb when headcodes were no longer in use, it seems inconsistent whether the destinatìon blinds were. I've found a couple of photos of my unit running with no destination showing in the box but would that be more likely a permanent thing, eg if, say, blinds weren't generally replaced once damaged or is it probably just temporary?

There was no similar edict to stop using destination blinds and they continued to be used all over the country. There may of course have been some depots that didn't maintain them, but new blinds continued to be fitted to many types well into the sector era, NSE units in particular.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 30/06/2022 at 19:07, montyburns56 said:

Cheltenham 1978 by Pete Wilcox

M51912/56278 Cheltenham 10/6/1978

A class 108 unit probably from the Liverpool or Manchester area that has just been refurbished at Swindon. Probably being worked north to Tyseley, from where it continued its trip home.

Of note: the BR symbol is aligned with the front edge of the bodyside light above it, in some cases it was centralised. Also of note is that it is the BR arrows, rather than a PTE symbol; although many refurbished units did carry PTE symbols - usually on the blue band but only on the driver's side - not all did. As I recall, Allerton based 108s differed, such that power twin sets had Merseyside PTE logos, but power trailer sets like this one had BR arrows.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, keefer said:

Class 124 I think - the first b/g car is an MBS, unique to those units. Cl.123 brake vehicle was a driving car with a cab at the brake end.

It is a 124 vehicle as 123s were on B4 bogies 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2022 at 18:37, montyburns56 said:

Class 101 Malton 1979 by Graeme Phillips 

Class 101 DMU @ Malton, North Yorkshire, c.1979 [slide 7928]

One of the relatively rare Mat Cam vehicles that retained all four marker lamps when refurbished.

Also, i note the collection of BR vans and lorries on the track bed of the bay platform.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/10/2022 at 18:41, montyburns56 said:

Radcliffe 1980

Radcliffe dmu

Only three full sets of Class 110 received the white livery. By the time the 110s were due for refurbishment, BR was about to change to blue/grey livery for such vehicles.

Bradford Hammerton Street Depot would often swap vehicles around, hence the mixture of liveries.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, EddieK said:

Only three full sets of Class 110 received the white livery. By the time the 110s were due for refurbishment, BR was about to change to blue/grey livery for such vehicles.

Bradford Hammerton Street Depot would often swap vehicles around, hence the mixture of liveries.

Yeah, it's strange how everyone remembers the Hornby model, but pictures of them in this livery are pretty rare.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, keefer said:

IIRC Hornby did well in that they got the coach numbers correct for a white set.

In the original release of the white 110, there was a sheet of stickers for alternative vehicle numbers, as I recall, and I think that they were correct for all 9 vehicles in that livery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2022 at 18:15, montyburns56 said:

Acklington 1981 by Bill Watson

DEEPEST NORTHUMBERLAND

Note the application of the orange warning stripe across the cab end, which was never a feature when any vehicle was painted in the white livery.

As a sweeping statement, the orange warning stripe first appeared in Autumn 1979 and was applied to Metro Cammell vehicles only, I believe initially to vehicles based in the Newcastle area.

I suspect this was due to the presence of overhead lines for the Tyne and Wear Metro in Gosforth Depot, a location where cab end cleaning would take place. The theory being that the cleaners only cleaned up to the orange stripe. 

Interestingly, where Class 101s ran beneath overhead lines in the Royston and Hitchin areas, the orange warning stripes were not deemed necessary, as presumably there was no cab end cleaning done in locations with OHLE.

I suspect that the orange warning stripes were deemed to be a good idea for all Metro Cammell cab ends, as on a visit to Doncaster Works in Summer 1980, it seemed that all Met Camm vehicles had them. 

The vehicle in the image above would have been refurbished prior to mid 1979 (after which the white livery was abandoned in favour of blue/grey), and would not have had the orange warning stripe applied. The next overhaul would have been a "C4" bogie overhaul, which did not normally involve a body repaint, but I suspect that it was deemed important enough to have the orange stripe applied - unless the Gosforth or Heaton depot painters were busy with the orange paint.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 14/03/2020 at 22:51, BernardTPM said:

As far as I remember it was only like that on one side, the other having the broader stripe and small white arrow which (briefly) became the standard 'refurb' livery.

Yep, railcar.co.uk confirms your memory: "The refurbishment at Doncaster was topped off with the new refurbished livery of white with a blue stripe. The unit had different thickness stripes on each side. On the drivers side of the DMBS was a narrow stripe, the opposite was thicker 12" band which contained the BR or PTE logo."

On 20/12/2022 at 23:20, EddieK said:

I suspect that the orange warning stripes were deemed to be a good idea for all Metro Cammell cab ends, as on a visit to Doncaster Works in Summer 1980, it seemed that all Met Camm vehicles had them. 

I've always thought that other vehicle types wouldn't need it as the Met-Camm vehicle fronts extend higher up the roof - other designs have the cab roof coming down to join the front above the windows (does that make sense)?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...