PTA tipplers at Inverkeithing

scottishlocos

Guys

A nice conundrum for you today I have just seen a photo of a class 40 at Invekeithing with PTA tipplers this is miles away from any steelworks which I had thought these wagons were allocated too so why were they there.

My only suggestion is that they were used for Montrose lime traffic during a steel strike or possible to the wagon repair works at Perth anybody know of any such workings

Kind Regards

Dave

Any chance of a link to the photo?

Is it this one on pinterest by any chance: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/3b/45/343b45fe428ed09785af31ab834ee952.jpg

found via a google seach for class 40 inverkeithing

If so, they're empty, so a trip for repairs sounds possible.

• Like 1

Any chance of a link to the photo?

Is it this one on pinterest by any chance: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/3b/45/343b45fe428ed09785af31ab834ee952.jpg

found via a google seach for class 40 inverkeithing

If so, they're empty, so a trip for repairs sounds possible.

Might they be going for loading with scrap at one of the breakers' yards at Inverkeithing ?

All

Thanks for replies these wagons were exclusively used on iron ore and lime to and from steel works and the Scottish ones would have been repaired at Motherwell as i recall Perth wagon works at this time was used mainly for engineers wagons still at a loss to explain them at Inverkeithing

Fat Controller when The Craig steel works was closed some of these were converted for scrap traffic i think in the Cardiff area i have never heard of them being used for scrap until those conversions.

I don't know what happened to the Tyne dock to Consett sets of these wagons could they being going to Inverkeithing for scrap?

All

Thanks for replies these wagons were exclusively used on iron ore and lime to and from steel works and the Scottish ones would have been repaired at Motherwell as i recall Perth wagon works at this time was used mainly for engineers wagons still at a loss to explain them at Inverkeithing

Fat Controller when The Craig steel works was closed some of these were converted for scrap traffic i think in the Cardiff area i have never heard of them being used for scrap until those conversions.

I don't know what happened to the Tyne dock to Consett sets of these wagons could they being going to Inverkeithing for scrap?

The Tyne Dock- Consett sets went to stone traffic in the Mendips, I believe, as did the Ravenscraig ones; as far as I'm aware none were officially scrapped. However, there were some inverted bogie-less ones next to the Llanwern Reception Sidings for quite a while.

The Tyne Dock- Consett sets went to stone traffic in the Mendips, I believe, as did the Ravenscraig ones; as far as I'm aware none were officially scrapped. However, there were some inverted bogie-less ones next to the Llanwern Reception Sidings for quite a while.

Four of the Ravenscraig ones ended up as IU’s at Lackenby but were scrapped about two years ago!

Mark Saunders

Guys

A nice conundrum for you today I have just seen a photo of a class 40 at Invekeithing with PTA tipplers this is miles away from any steelworks which I had thought these wagons were allocated too so why were they there.

My only suggestion is that they were used for Montrose lime traffic during a steel strike or possible to the wagon repair works at Perth anybody know of any such workings

Kind Regards

Dave

I would say that your suggestion is highly plausible,  The entire steel industry went on strike on 2 January 1980 and stayed out for over three months, I worked for British Steel but luckily I was at university at the time. The PTAs look white inside suggesting lime traffic as the PTAs were used for lime traffic in normal service.  Any idea of the date of the photograph?

Jim

Jim

Thanks i would say the class 40 dates it as 1986 or before i think after that they were not as common after that also you can just about make out a truck on the bridge that may help date it. The only other thing i would say is during strikes did the quarries still work i know Shap and Redmire were owned by British Steel was Thrislington?

The truck is a Scammell Crusader day cab 4x2 tractor, produced between 1968 and around 1980 and in service for some years after that. Not the most common of trucks but there were still plenty of them around so I’m not sure it helps in narrowing down any dates.

Can’t make out the hauliers name, something Carriers Ltd.

Jim

Thanks i would say the class 40 dates it as 1986 or before i think after that they were not as common after that also you can just about make out a truck on the bridge that may help date it. The only other thing i would say is during strikes did the quarries still work i know Shap and Redmire were owned by British Steel was Thrislington?

No, Thrislington wasn't British Steel; it was Steeley, who used the Dolomite to make refractory materials at their Hartlepool plant.

Edited by Fat Controller

Jim

Thanks for that 1984 makes sense as that would have been miners strike so these wagons would have been at a loose end.

I am sure there was a Thrislington to Ravenscraig dolomite train and Thrislington to Montrose agricultural lime train and although owned by Steetly they supplied British Steel and Thomson's with the lime

Thanks for solving this one

Kind Regards

Dave

Jim

Thanks for that 1984 makes sense as that would have been miners strike so these wagons would have been at a loose end.

I am sure there was a Thrislington to Ravenscraig dolomite train and Thrislington to Montrose agricultural lime train and although owned by Steetly they supplied British Steel and Thomson's with the lime

Thanks for solving this one

Kind Regards

Dave

There was a Thrislington to Ravenscraig train in the mid 1980s/early 1990s, using BSC tipplers; this was a 9-wagon set. I believe that, until modifications had been made to the unloading area, FPAs with 'Russell' coal containers were used. One of the first runs led to a claim against BR by a lady at Berwick-on-Tweed for the cleaning bill to her fur coat, after she'd been showered by dust.

The rest of the traffic originated at Ferryhill, there being other quarries apart from Thrislington. Thompson's distinctive side-tippers were loaded from tipper lorries at Ferryhill Yard itself, Steetley loaded various open wagons for Stranraer Town, Dundee and elsewhere at both Thrislington and Coxhoe, whilst there were other quarries at West Cornforth (Tarmac) and East Raisby. All the agricultural lime traffic used to be tripped to Tyne Yard, where Stranraer traffic was attached to a Tees- Ayr/ Stranraer train, and the rest attached to a working for Dundee.