3 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Go on, you know you want to. The hardest bit is getting to grips with Templot.

Seconded!

I’ll add that it’s probably best to start with a nice simple turnout, not a tandem 3-way and definitely not something as complex as @Rowsley17D’s half scissor crossover!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Graham T said:

I think Templot only works under Windows though doesn't it?  I use a Mac so that's my get out of jail free card!

There's a download for Macs, no excuses.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

There's a download for Macs, no excuses.

Last time I looked it was complicated to get it working on a Mac, at one time you needed Windows which defeats the idea of having a Mac. Have things changed?

I have an old PC, that was one of the children's and I think Templot is the only thing it is used for as I am also a Mac user.

Martyn

• RMweb Gold
Just now, mullie said:

Last time I looked it was complicated to get it working on a Mac, at one time you needed Windows which defeats the idea of having a Mac. Have things changed?

I have an old PC, that was one of the children's and I think Templot is the only thing it is used for as I am also a Mac user.

Martyn

I don't know as I use Windows but the download is there. Best person ask is the gaffer himself - paging @Martin Wynne!

• RMweb Gold

Not letting chemo get in the way of an afternoon modelling, I made at 1/2 speed, to allow my head to catch-up with what I am doing, a short section of retaining wall for part of the gradient bank. A 140mm piece of framing timber was now showing through thanks to the new alignment. It's Slaters' 4m scale dressed stone with homemade coping.

DSC00261.JPG.9a27c445d1920dcdcab9362aba6e1e8e.JPG

It's next to some cork which I am going to hack about to make a stone outcrop.

DSC00262.JPG.28a3faee422a7ab298747cd60c5198a9.JPG

To the other side nature has covered the bank side with old ballast, ash and the like which has fallen from the higher level. Looking photos of Buxton in the 1930s, the PW lads didn't go down here too often, well apart from a brew that is.

DSC00263.JPG.459c344804e9880e49374de0a9cf2dc0.JPG

DSC00264.JPG.2f0d623ff1266a0ef37f4d809d8db842.JPG

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, mullie said:

You don't need Windows.

Templot works on a Mac using a program called CrossOver which costs about £40 if you don't buy the support package, which you won't need for Templot. You can get 25% off by entering the code TANGENT.

https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover

All this has been explained on the Templot web site for at least the last 10 years. Lots of Templot users run it on a Mac using CrossOver (and on Linux computers).

For more info ask on the Templot Club forum -- that's what it's there for. 🙂   https://85a.uk/templot/club

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Very true, and thank you.  Luckily for me my next layout will be CR Mk II, so I still have some breathing space!

In my defence, I'm planning to use Finetrax pointwork on CR Mk II.

Finetrax looks to be an excellent producer of point-work products. I was tempted to get their 4SF double slip but they use thick timbers and sleepers, but the thought of raising the approaching trackwork or lowering the track-bed under the slip put me off.

I understand the various turnouts and slips can be curved to a certain extent so that formations can flow better.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now I hope regular viewers will not think I have been away from the layout the last few days. Apart from chemo last week, I've been busy with the new panel which arrived on Monday. It's been wired up and put in place but not yet connected to the layout as I've stripped out all the servo wires and their underboard panels and relays ready for a neater rewire.

DSC00276.JPG.be2b0cfdacaf92db56c558f353c6b8ab.JPG

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Had trip on part of the S&C today from Ribblehead to Kirkby Stephen and return. Class 66 - 66725 "Sunderland" was ticking over in the loading sidings at Ribblehead.

DSC00289.JPG.bbc8a172b900936bdd185659cf0c730f.JPG

DSC00290.JPG.572d3f23c5ca7ea1248689934947b972.JPG

DSC00291.JPG.f7de2afb19a5ed2a4d79431c623b7427.JPG

The 158 was bang on time.

DSC00292.JPG.812de31af30c66000d353aeefb4fdd9e.JPG

British India Line was on the way to Carlisle. I clicked too soon, and by the time the camera was ready for another shot, she was gone.

DSC00293.JPG.5491dcbbe012058c54fbe45a5384b3be.JPG

Plus an Up service train got in the way!

DSC00294.JPG.d0f436cdd82b3ba3fe4e78fb7bfaf069.JPG

The box at KS was receiving some TLC from painters and not before time.

DSC00295.JPG.25ded294c9b477501dc981ec289f14e6.JPG

And I took a shot of a crank for when I redo my point rodding.

DSC00296.JPG.8dc127250e19eafb16b673a583c845d0.JPG

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

My fifth chemo was put on hold for 2 weeks as my resistance to infection was too low. I took the opportunity of feeling much better with the longer break to reconnect the wire droppers to the main bus and tidy up the wiring. Next was to reconnect the servos to the servo boards and the crossing wires to the relays. I've done  3 so far.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

UESED PECO POINT MOTORS

Does anybody know of someone who needs some of the above? 2 are brand new in packaging. They mostly come with base fixing plate and change-over switches. There're on the Classifieds. I'm only asking £1 each otherwise there're going to a Model Railway charity.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Fred Dibner needs to look at the sand house chimney.

...in which case, I'm glad you're not in Shropshire.

err....I've muddled Fred Dibner with Blaster Bates....so, ignore this!

Edited by kitpw
memory lapse....
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

The main rewiring to the point servos is now done but some signals still need connecting up. In the track improvements I managed to snap the fine wires to the LEDs in the main starter bracket, so I took the opportunity to rebuild the whole signal mainly using the existing parts but with new trimmers and handrails. It needs painting and the operating connections to the servos need doing. 

1893207222_DSC00313(2).JPG.e9111fe1828daa8f98dccb8c25aca57d.JPG

At least things are beginning to come back to life on the layout.

DSC00314.JPG.3dc2ed565b00269341a9d8161a3a8c92.JPG

On the health front there was encouraging news at my end of chemo appointment with my oncologist. A CT scan taken in between sessions 5 & 6 shows the chemo to have had  a positive effect on the liver tumour and it appeared to her to have reduced in size although she says she's no radiographer. There's a meeting of the multidisciplinary team whose care I am in this Friday and they are going to let me know late Friday afternoon what the next step will be.

Fingers crossed on the treatment front Jonathan - hope all goes well for Friday.

Now a question to which I haven't got the faintest idea of the answer.  At some time the colour of the spectacle plates on ex Midland Railway semaphore signals appears to have been changed.  i had wondered if it went from black to white but some illustrations among the view that I can find suggest that it might have been the other way round.  I have checked two definite post WWII/late 1940s photos of signal on the S&C and the spectacle plates painted white (or something similarly pale) and the ex MR arm which I bought from BR back in the 1960s (it came from Leicester) also had a white spectacle plate.

So were they always white or did they at some stage in LMS days change from black to white?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Fingers crossed on the treatment front Jonathan - hope all goes well for Friday.

Now a question to which I haven't got the faintest idea of the answer.  At some time the colour of the spectacle plates on ex Midland Railway semaphore signals appears to have been changed.  i had wondered if it went from black to white but some illustrations among the view that I can find suggest that it might have been the other way round.  I have checked two definite post WWII/late 1940s photos of signal on the S&C and the spectacle plates painted white (or something similarly pale) and the ex MR arm which I bought from BR back in the 1960s (it came from Leicester) also had a white spectacle plate.

So were they always white or did they at some stage in LMS days change from black to white?

Most of the photos in the books I have only show the back of the signals. However, in Scenes from  the Past No 7, there's a photo of the front of the MR starter bracket at Buxton for the main platform and bay dated 1947 by L M Hobdey which has white, although very grubby, spectacle plates. In the same book there's a photo dated 1938 by E R Morton of the MR signals at Darley Dale (down side) which control access to the down slow loop which again have white spectacle plates. I'll have to change mine to white.

• Like 1