• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Talking about the copperclad timbers which are soldered to the rails, as you said the chairs hold the rail 0.5mm above the timbers. It will not only look odd but will prevent chairs being fitted over these joints unless the following action is taken

1  Using brass chairs

2  Using 0.5mm metal or copperclad risers which are ground back to be level with the rail sides

Are, with you now. I put small pieces of phosphor bronze strip under the rails which are soldered to the copper clad timbers to make the rails level with the ones in chairs on the ply sleepers. To be honest, I rarely fit half chairs to the soldered rails as when painted it's hard to see usually.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the encouragement boys and girls. The PICC line goes back in a week today and first round a week on Tuesday. The cocktail is different in that the element which causes nerve damage to hands and feet is replaced by one which has other unpleasant effects, I won't go into details as some may be having their breakfast. There is a jab available which I have been told is like a bee sting. I've never had a bee sting, doctor. Well, when you do it'll feel like the injection.

On the railway front, I've wired the double slip and am mixing paint to reproduce sleeper grime.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/04/2023 at 09:40, Rowsley17D said:

On the railway front, I've wired the double slip and am mixing paint to reproduce sleeper grime.

Well done, Oh great and intrepid modeller! 

The most I was able to do between completing 4th cycle of chemo and starting the preparation for my Autologous Stem Cell Transplant ( and catching Covid inbetween) was a little work on some LNER unfitted covered vans. Ironically these are being converted from the fitted versions.

I hope your PICC line does not give you too much discomfort.

Perhaps you might not mind if I send you a PM ?

The only similarity to 'bee stings' in my recent medications has been provided by an anti-nausea injection. A short pain followed by the bliss of being able to enjoy hospital food!

I should say though, that even on longer aquaintance, and allowing for the limitations of mass-catering, the food in this hospital is really quite good!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Well done, Oh great and intrepid modeller! 

The most I was able to do between completing 4th cycle of chemo and starting the preparation for my Autologous Stem Cell Transplant ( and catching Covid inbetween) was a little work on some LNER unfitted covered vans. Ironically these are being converted from the fitted versions.

I hope your PICC line does not give you too much discomfort.

Perhaps you might not mind if I send you a PM ?

The only similarity to 'bee stings' in my recent medications has been provided by an anti-nausea injection. A short pain followed by the bliss of being able to enjoy hospital food!

I should say though, that even on longer aquaintance, and allowing for the limitations of mass-catering, the food in this hospital is really quite good!

Hi DRMD do send me PM whenever you like.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

You lucky lucky man! The food in the hospitals around here is dire. The last time I was in hospital I lived on M&S sarnies and Macidees.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, lezz01 said:

You lucky lucky man! The food in the hospitals around here is dire. The last time I was in hospital I lived on M&S sarnies and Macidees.

Regards Lez.

Thankfully I have only stayed in hospital once and for 8 days, after 3 days I found where they hid the salt and pepper. The food actually tasted very good with the addition of these two ingredients. 

I do understand for the very few it is important to monitor the use of salt, but how many are going without a nutritious (and essential) meal as when its bland its very unappetising  

19 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.

I am indeed lucky, and even more fortunate in that I do not have to endure life (and ageing) as a man!

What is a Macidee?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

I am indeed lucky, and even more fortunate in that I do not have to endure life (and ageing) as a man!

What is a Macidee?

A McDonald's meal.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a nice day down and up the S&C from Ribblehead to Carlisle yesterday. Leander was in one of the platforms at Carlisle, but I could only take a couple of photos through the coach window as we departed. She's in BR mixed traffic black.

IMG_0251.JPG.6bbce8f98048b2e981b34c22a5fe2fd8.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG.52fd975d3adbdea9b5021e0fe18a6d12.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The rest of the cork bed was removed today and new cork laid in its place, ready for some track laying tomorrow. Must remember to drill the holes for the operating rods to the servos first.

DSC00499.JPG.b1dfb78c1c5841428ead173ded83caff.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The double slip has been glued in place and some initial ballasting done. It's rail connected at the lefthand end but not at the right as some sleepers need to be added.

DSC00500.JPG.7c66ea682b034595f786dec43d7ca734.JPG

DSC00501.JPG.0653a418f223b5b51bfe635d1a966056.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

It looks very good Jonathan. The switch rails on slips have always been a bit of a problem due to their lack of length maybe a stronger acting servo might work better. The answer might be found by asking the R/C modellers as they have used servos for decades unlike us who have only started to use them recently.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That has come together very well and very quickly, most impressive.

I thought I would get it done before chemo starts as crawling under baseboards isn't much fun after a treatment session. I'll look and see if I can get more powerful servos as @lezz01 suggests, otherwise it will be the British Finescale route.

Just ordered 2 servos with metal gears which give 10kg of torque and 180 deg of turn.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The powerful servos have been fitted and do the job well. They were from The Pi Hut. As they are 20mm wide they wouldn't fit into the alu channel I usually use but were attached to some alu right angle with an alu plate for the actuating wire to go through. Now for some real testing of the stock to see what goes through as it should.

• Like 7