Atlantic Coast Express

• RMweb Premium

Please can anyone point me in the direction of reference material(s) that would show me the (typical) coach formation of the ACE or one of the additional ACEs (Summer Timetable) as leaving/arriving Exeter Central circa 1959/60/61?

Many thanks, 36E

Please can anyone point me in the direction of reference material(s) that would show me the (typical) coach formation of the ACE or one of the additional ACEs (Summer Timetable) as leaving/arriving Exeter Central circa 1959/60/61?

Many thanks, 36E

I have a couple of very good books all about the Ace, will find the titles etc for you and hopefully the information.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, 36E

First question is.... leaving/arriving Exeter Central in the Waterloo or Exeter St Davids direction?

Second question is.... summer or winter timetable?

Robert's PDF has all routes covered but note that the data covers the winter period. During the summer period the formations to each destination were longer and, in effect, a number of ACEs were run: 10.35am Padstow / Bude, 11am Illfracombe/Torrington, 11.15 Plymouth/Padstow/Bude.

A recommended book would be "Portrait of the Atlantic Coast Express" by Stephen Austin, published by Ian Allen.

• RMweb Premium

First question is.... leaving/arriving Exeter Central in the Waterloo or Exeter St Davids direction?

Second question is.... summer or winter timetable?

Robert's PDF has all routes covered but note that the data covers the winter period. During the summer period the formations to each destination were longer and, in effect, a number of ACEs were run: 10.35am Padstow / Bude, 11am Illfracombe/Torrington, 11.15 Plymouth/Padstow/Bude.

A recommended book would be "Portrait of the Atlantic Coast Express" by Stephen Austin, published by Ian Allen.

Ah yes. I should have clarified directions and time of year! As my 'spotting' memories are of mostly Summer weekdays at Exeter Central then I shall investigate through the book you mention the various up arrivals at EC and then the 'complete' Eastward departure(s) as well as the down 'complete' arrival(s) at EC followed by the down various departures! I seem to remember EC bursting in to life with loco's all over the sidings at the west end at each arrival of an ACE. I believe the 'sorting' of these summer trains was the busiest at any station on the network from things I have already read.

However, if I ever go on to run trains I shall have to make do with the winter timetable as I won't be able to recreate all that as required by the summer timetable and I shall have to portray 'somewhere' east of EC anyway as I won't be recreating EC in all it's glory!!!:blink:

Thanks to you all, Phil @ 36E

Archived