Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

'tortoise motors on 3-way points'

Hi,

I'm applying 2-off Tortoise motors to a 3-way point on my 7mm layout "Burnham Pier". The problem I have is that throwing the second turnout blades can press on the first turnout blades if they haven't been already set correctly. Can anyone point me at a simple wiring diagram to avoid this? In other words, so that T1 will always change when T2 is switched in one of its directions?

I can see how to do it mechanically, using "slots" or fouling bars but I'm not very good at electrickery!

Hopefully,

Terry

• RMweb Gold

You may find what you need in the DCC Concepts Cobalt instructions here from page 5 on - http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/dcc_concepts/cobalt_s_lever_instructions_3.pdf

The method involves the internal switches of the Cobalt and looks like the Tortoise can be wired the same way. 

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

I asked a similar question when using servos to do the same job.

My "elegant" solution involved triple pole single throw switches as I needed to switch bi-colour led's as well, for none indication purposes a double pole switch should suffice, if that makes it any simpler than the official method.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

You may find what you need in the DCC Concepts Cobalt instructions here from page 5 on - http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/dcc_concepts/cobalt_s_lever_instructions_3.pdf

The method involves the internal switches of the Cobalt and looks like the Tortoise can be wired the same way. 

The DCC Concepts diagram is not quite correct as you have to "back lock" (if that's the correct term?)

As the diagram stands, motor 2 sets to the left, it let's motor 1 work, but the diagram still lets you throw motor 1 back to the right at any time. Thus creating a blade conflict as per the OP.

What should happen is that when motor 1 goes left, it cuts off the supply to motor 2.

Thus motor 1 has to be set right before motor 2 can work.

Cheers,

Mick

If you throw the wrong motor you will damage the 3 way point.  Its one problem I avoid by using diode matrix route setting which does not allow the blades to move in opposition as in Motor 1 left Motor 2 right

So I would suggest a simple pair of diodes between the point motors so the no 1 motor goes to the right at the same time as the  2 motor goes right and the number 2 motor goes left as the no 1 goes left but not vice versa.   See drawing 

post-21665-0-98417600-1518144913_thumb.png

Wow! This is my first post on this forum and I'm impressed by the speed, scope and helpfulness of all your replies.

I see I have a few options to consider which is wonderful compared to the blank sheet of paper [and blank brain!] that I had before.

I shall remain a member of this forum in the hope I can advise others on familiar topics.

Thanks all,

Terry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Terry:

I have 2 Tortoise on a double junction. I found, long ago, some swiches --telephone relay type? -- which had DPDT switches on each side and the lever pushed one set or the other over orlet them sit relaxed in the middle. This would allow you to have the center set the center road while pushing it one way or the other would set one of the diverging roads.

If you wnt to test it, a pair of DPDT slide switches would work if you put a block between them so that they couldn't both be pushed to the middle.

(Sorry, I'm not good a diagrams on the computer.)

Terry:

I have 2 Tortoise on a double junction. I found, long ago, some swiches --telephone relay type? -- which had DPDT switches on each side and the lever pushed one set or the other over orlet them sit relaxed in the middle. This would allow you to have the center set the center road while pushing it one way or the other would set one of the diverging roads.

If you wnt to test it, a pair of DPDT slide switches would work if you put a block between them so that they couldn't both be pushed to the middle.

(Sorry, I'm not good a diagrams on the computer.)

Hi David,

Yes, thanks for this. I'm happy interlocking switches or levers mechanically in ways such as you suggest. My problem was that I was using SPDT switches to operate my Tortoise motors. The control panel design precluded any mechanical interlocking so I have now resorted to electrickery, following the ideas suggested.

Terry