Class 40 027 ‘Parthia’

forest2807

Does anyone know the date of the incident which resulted in Parthia having her no.2 end nose (I think it’s that end) rebuilt without connecting doors, or at least having them welded up?

I’m trying to ascertain if I can run a model with ‘as built’ noses, in BR blue with FYE, and proper nameplates, as opposed to painted names on the body sides.

Edited by forest2807

• RMweb Gold

If it's any help it didn't have nameplates in September 1979 undergoing repairs in Crewe works.

Mike.

The nameplates on all the Class 40's were removed by the early to mid 70's and I was told at the request of the shipping companies; as the ships they were named after were mainly heading for scrap.  I have no idea if there's any truth in that though.

If it's any help it didn't have nameplates in September 1979 undergoing repairs in Crewe works.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I don't suppose you know what repairs being done were do you? Nose job? I suspect the nose end repair dates from earlier than 1979 but I'm hoping somebody can offer a specific date to confirm my suspicions.

• RMweb Gold

Dates I have for Parthia - blue livery Feb 1970, TOPS renumbered Dec 1973, when at least one nameplate remained, but may have lost the other by July 1970, no.2 end doors modified sometime after 29 July 1977.

https://flic.kr/p/DsgTmF

July 1972

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9648707106/

Dec 1973

5199538682_9bdf423800_o.jpgParthia at Derby. by sprocket316, on Flickr

July 1977

35286937810_7b8695a398_h.jpg40027, Crewe. [sC-113] by Jamerail, on Flickr

Saxonia, Empress of England and Apapa held on to their plates into 1974 and 1975, others like Laconia and Lucania are unknown still.

• Like 1

That is incredibly useful, thank you. On the basis of that info, my big Heljan beast may become 227, circa 1970, with proper plates. I may even use modellers licence to give her red bufferbeams just because I think they look great, even though she only appeared to receive the red paint towards the end of her career, certainly not as early as 1970. The other option would be to do 40025 ‘Lusitania’ but my Dad was radio officer on the Parthia so that is more suitable I think.

Edited by forest2807
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike. I don't suppose you know what repairs being done were do you? Nose job? I suspect the nose end repair dates from earlier than 1979 but I'm hoping somebody can offer a specific date to confirm my suspicions.

Regrettably not, and equally regrettably no 1 end.

post-5471-0-19324300-1518858840_thumb.jpg

Mike.

• Like 1