6' Fiddleyard turntable

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Centre pin - Or one of the baseboard locating plug/socket thingies......

Morning penlan,

hope the plumbing is sorted now.

Thought about using a board plug/socket but i was concerned that the weight of 6 locos hanging 420mm past the board edge when turning or a knock would unbalance the tt with the contents ending up tipped on the floor. In the end i thought that bolting the deck to the sub-structure would be a safer option. Think i'd go for a plug/socket if the tt was 1m or less long though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well 140+ hours of working on the two boards and we're at Aylesbury show with 2 new fiddle yards. I can't say they are 100% finished as there's 10' out of the 67' of track to lay and the green gloss needs at least one more coat but here we are - they exist!

I've never built anything like this before so it's been one big learning experince. Now that the panic is over, and after the show, i'll post all the photos i took during construction plus comments of what i learn't along the way.

Big thank you to Damian, John and and Peter for all their help on the final push.

Also a big cheers to davidcheeseplant for putting up with our construction work at the show last night - amazing what knock on effects these big changes have had on such things as the backscene, lighting rig, drapes and display boards. Oh and what you find putting all 32' of layout up after working on short sections (a problem from the layout being too big for house rooms).

interesting thought ozzyo - that idea would work very well in dcc (i think?) as the chip would sort out the direction when the table was turned. Would there be a problem with shorting out between the layout and the tt if polarities of the rails didn't match?

I'm part way through the build of these new fiddles now and i've gone for a long m10 bolt and washers as the pivot with a 12" dia spiders web plate of bearings around that in the centre and some additional rollers near the edge. The table deck is 1.6m long and considering its weight and 6 tracks worth of stock i decided the robust approach was best.

Will post some photos at the weekend.

2ManySpams,

sorry for the late reply about the jack plugs, but if you can still get the ones with four feeds and wire it up to a DPDT switch one way for one end of the table [A] and one for the other end , I think that should work. Electrics is not one of my strong points. Thinking on a center off one may be best, use the center off when turning the table.

OzzyO.

• 2 years later...

Archived