Elevated urban terminus?

Del

Some time ago (by which I mean well over ten years), there was a layout in the Railway Modeller of an urban terminus up on arches, where the buffer stops were hard up against a neighbouring building, and pedestrian access from street level was via internal staircases. I think this model was based in Newcastle?

I'm trying to think of a prototypical example, and I'm struggling!

Any ideas?

Edited by Del

Ian Futers' Newcastle Haymarket? Pretty sure it was entirely fictitious, but I guess the inspiration must have come from somewhere.

Edited by Pete 75C

Ian Futers' Newcastle Haymarket? Pretty sure it was entirely fictitious, but I guess the inspiration must have come from somewhere.

That's almost certainly the one.

Fenchurch Street??

That terminates within the building itself though and is a bit grand for what I have in mind. I need a branch, really...

For the ultimate in elevated termini surely nothing beats the Rossio station in Lisbon.

It is on the roof of a 3 storey elaborate C19 white marble palace in one corner of the great square of the same name. Once up the escalators you arrive in a airy light cast iron  train shed. Only later do you later realise it is dramatically sited on very the edge of a steep drop from the higher to the lower city, with a whole array of eccentric Eifel lifts and funiculars to transport people between the two levels of the city.

You might model an Anglicized Classical or Gothic version of it in Halifax or maybe even here on Tyneside - as a more precipitous siting of the Manors terminus ovelooking the Quayside.

(A far more boring one was the French chateau style Broadstreet terminus of the North London Railway on blue brick arches way above the west side of Liverpool St)

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There used to be an 0 gauge exhibition layout that I think drew heavily on Great Moor Street. Can anyone remember what was called?

Platt Lane by Trevor Booth? I think he did a series of Silverlink books on the build?

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that CJL has not yet been on this thread to suggest Staines West. But that does have the building in the conventional place for a terminus even though the building pre-existed the railway..

Windsor & Eton GW is partly on viaduct.

One that does qualify is the Midland station in Northampton.

Noting also that you say "elevated" rather than on a viaduct, some others would certainly qualify such as Helston which is partly on an embankment.

Often, where a terminus is on a viaduct/embankment but with the building to one side, there was an intention to extend the line at a later date, e.g. Chingford.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Ray's photo confirms that Newcastle Haymarket is the layout I was thinking of.

Uxbridge High Street seems to be closest to what I'm thinking of, rather than the bigger stations where the passenger access into the station building seems to be at ground level.

Edited by Del

Unlike Uxbridge High Street station which actually didn't have it's platforms right up to the road (it had a couple of bridges beyond the end of the platform before arriving the buffers), Hounslow Town did (the intention, which never came about, was to continue on towards Twickenham).  It was located where the Bus Station is now:

post-2090-0-23682500-1519653193.jpg

Also, Hounslow Town station was in a rather more urban location than was Uxbridge High Street station at that time, which was right on the edge of town (and there's another girder bridge across the road in the foreground, out of shot to the right):

post-2090-0-27495500-1519653744.jpg

• Like 1

Wasn't the original Hounslow West elevated?

No, the tracks were slightly below ground level. There was a short flight of steps up from the platform to the main station building (I think they are still there, and could be seen through a window in the tin walkway to the new 'underground' platforms).