Elevated urban terminus?

Del

• RMweb Premium

St Pancras (before becoming international), Cannon St, St Pauls (Blackfriars), Charring Cross, Broad St, Hammersmith (Met and City Line) and that is not moving out of London.

Glasgow Central, Leeds Central also come to mind.

Holborn Viaduct, I think the name might be a clue.

Swansea Victoria

• RMweb Gold

What about Wolverhampton High Level? That's raised on one side. Not a terminus though.

Again not a terminus in the sense that it has through platforms, London Bridge is raised. So is Waterloo East, and I'm sure trains will have terminated there before now.

• RMweb Premium

Pay attention guys! OP is looking for a terminus where the buildings are at a lower level and, therefore, to one side of the track - not across the end with a concourse.

Well if there were examples I am sure you would be letting us all know where in the country they were.

The booking hall at Fenchurch street is at ground level...but on the end of the station. Terminus stations have concourse for ease of getting from one part of the station to the next.

I take it the OP wants something like this, where the booking hall is under the arches.

post-16423-0-75998100-1519733527_thumb.png

Uxbridge High Street was like the OP wants by accident. It was built as a through station, just they never built the rest of the line.

• RMweb Gold

Well if there were examples I am sure you would be letting us all know where in the country they were.

The booking hall at Fenchurch street is at ground level...but on the end of the station. Terminus stations have concourse for ease of getting from one part of the station to the next.

I take it the OP wants something like this, where the booking hall is under the arches.

attachicon.gifno concourse.png

Uxbridge High Street was like the OP wants by accident. It was built as a through station, just they never built the rest of the line.

Is there an echo in here? (Post #17).

In addition to the ones Mike mentioned in post 11, Manchester Liverpool Rd (the original Liverpool and Manchester station) was elevated and the passenger buildings were on either side of the line.  Line, however carried on for 175 yards to the goods buildings many of which were at right angles to the north and accessed via wagon turntables (not sure about the exact details - will need to check it when back home). (End of the line was about at ground level on Lower Byrom St, where the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry is now located).  So maybe if you imagined that back in the 1840s, the goods station was closed instead of the passenger station, it would serve!

Pay attention guys! OP is looking for a terminus where the buildings are at a lower level and, therefore, to one side of the track - not across the end with a concourse.

All I was really wondering is if there was a prototype for Newcastle Haymarket. I have an idea for something similar, but it seemed a very unusual setup.

Croxley was like that wasn't it? Aside from not actually having any buildings...

These two seem to be the closest, but still not exactly like the layout, as there's no non-railway building at the end.

Thank you all for your input so far.

The OP merely references access via staircases, it doesn't specify whether they are up or down to track level.

Jim

Well, Manchester Liverpool Rd would definitely qualify.  Access and ticket offices at street level, staircases up to waiting rooms at rail level. Departure and arrival stations separate and separated by Water St - no access for passengers between them.

Probably, I'm sure there was an elevated terminus in Hounslow at some point.

The platforms were up some stairs from the street at Cowes, too. Though that's a bit of an oddity.

You're certainly correct Z, about the (original) Hounslow terminus (Hounslow Town).

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

Can I present Newcastle Manors powerhouse and station as the best architectural example of an elevated British terminus with the entrance hall on Pandon Bank and with lifts up to the platforms?

post-21705-0-18252000-1519855521.jpg

The Art Nouveau building dating from 1901-4 is by the celebrated architect Benjamin Simpson, designer of other notable buildings around Newcastle city centre all crowned by his distinctive turrets .

The line in from Heaton to Newcastle Central station is seen passing over the bridge behind the ornate curved facade. I always thought the power generated in the cavernous space under the platforms was for the NER Tyneside electrics, but in researching the building I see it actually powered the city's tramways and later Newcastle’s  famous yellow trolley buses.

During the construction of the Tyne & Wear Metro, back in the mists of antiquity, the building was the headquarters of the PTE integrated transportation project.

I enjoyed finding that a complete example of the strikingly minimalist white yellow and blue enamelled panel new 1980 Metro stations was assembled beforehand as a 'test build' within the cavernous Art Nouveau building.

dh

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

All I was really wondering is if there was a prototype for Newcastle Haymarket. I have an idea for something similar, but it seemed a very unusual setup.

I can't think of a place where a non-railway building is right up against the end of the tracks as in Ian Futers' layout.

But I can imagine a case where it could have. When Broad St station was demolished to make way for Broadgate, a residual service of North London Line trains was diverted via a rather steep and inconvenient chord at Hackney into Liverpool St. But it would also have been possible to build a new, smaller Broad St station further north, hard up against Broadgate. Indeed, ISTR, there was a temporary Broad St station for a while during construction of the Graham Road Chord.

Same might apply in any other city where a large terminus has been closed and built on with just a local train service remaining.

• 3 months later...

Some time ago (by which I mean well over ten years), there was a layout in the Railway Modeller of an urban terminus up on arches, where the buffer stops were hard up against a neighbouring building, and pedestrian access from street level was via internal staircases. I think this model was based in Newcastle?

I'm trying to think of a prototypical example, and I'm struggling!

Any ideas?

Taken 26-9-09

I can`t remember where though.

UXBRIDGE VINE STREET, a fantasy N layout 11' x 1, looks like NCL Hmkt in the 60s. Haven't got more details- yet.

UXBRIDGE VINE STREET, a fantasy N layout 11' x 1, looks like NCL Hmkt in the 60s. Haven't got more details- yet.

Uxbridge Vine Street wasn't elevated, it was Uxbridge High​ Street that was.

How about Gare Ste Paule in Lyon? A compact, electrified, terminus, built partially into a hillside; thus you have a station building at platform level, accessed by a flight of steps. One side of the station is cut into the hill-side, the other is built up above the adjacent road on arches. At the station throat, the tracks converge and enter a tunnel. Here's a link to a Google image:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gare+Saint-Paul/@45.7663879,4.8256983,157m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47f4eb00f75880d7:0x49a70274778cab54!8m2!3d45.765996!4d4.826906?hl=en

The road that looks like a return loop is exactly that, allowing trolley-buses to turn around. Somehow, they've squeezed a small car-park around and inside it.

• Like 2