Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

13 minutes ago, Johnson044 said:

Didn't Rowland Emmett create an 0-2-0? I think it might have been called "Hero"- I'll have a rootle and see if I can find an image. I think it was in "Sidings and Suchlike".

I had an image of an Emett 0-2-0 in the back of my mind, bit there's nothing in "The Early Morning Milk Train" apart from a horse drawn cab with an 0-2-0 locomotive replacing the horse...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Annie said:

Today's Cheer Up Picture:  I don't know about you, but it certainly made me laugh.  As to the origins of the picture or whether it's been Photoshopped or not I wouldn't have a clue.

CAWkMaO.jpg

Sadly it appears to have been Photoshopped from a (sort of) 2-4-2 built in France on the Arnoux articulated principle.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/arnoux/arnoux.htm

image.jpeg.6eaa574a0e6fd04dcad88d10d86b27b7.jpeg
The additional gear either side of the single’s driver is part of the guidance system.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Sadly it appears to have been Photoshopped from a (sort of) 2-4-2 built in France on the Arnoux articulated principle.

http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/arnoux/arnoux.htm

Thank you for revealing the truth concerning that strange 0-2-0 photo Nick.  I guessed that the two smaller wheels were guide wheels, but seeing them in their correct context certainly makes a lot more sense.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I had an image of an Emett 0-2-0 in the back of my mind, bit there's nothing in "The Early Morning Milk Train" apart from a horse drawn cab with an 0-2-0 locomotive replacing the horse...

There was an entry in the cakebox challenge which replicated this very well, and it did run continuously through a model show. It could even solve the track layout problems of the WNR.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/130417-madeira-meadows/

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

18 minutes ago, Northroader said:

There was an entry in the cakebox challenge which replicated this very well, and it did run continuously through a model show. It could even solve the track layout problems of the WNR.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/130417-madeira-meadows/

It amazing what can be achieved, a really imaginative model.

A pity that most of the pictures are missing after the Great Leap Forward, but the few remaining are terrific!

Even so, its a 2-2-0....

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

It amazing what can be achieved, a really imaginative model.

A pity that most of the pictures are missing after the Great Leap Forward, but the few remaining are terrific!

Even so, its a 2-2-0....

At 1st glance it looks like one , but watching it closely it seems to me that the small front wheels are the driving wheels & the large rear wheels are just trailing wheels. So I guess it should be classified as an 0-2-2. 🤔

Has there ever been a real loco with driving wheels smaller than the non-powered ones?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

There was, of course, the legendary 'Antonine'!  😆

Jim

I was struck by a random thought, Antonines wheel arrangement, a 0-1-0 in Whyte notation could not be expressed in the UIC classification of locomotive axle arrangements, in which the wheel arrangement of the photoshopped version of the locomotive in Annie's cheer up picture would be expressed as a simple 'A'

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, rocor said:

I was struck by a random thought, Antonines wheel arrangement, a 0-1-0 in Whyte notation could not be expressed in the UIC classification of locomotive axle arrangements, in which the wheel arrangement of the photoshopped version of the locomotive in Annie's cheer up picture would be expressed as a simple 'A'

Also, there is no way to describe an engine with no wheels at all in UIC. Every loco must have at least 1 driven axle, so they didn't bother to assign a letter to 'no driven axles'. I'd suggest 'Z', which would normally mean '26 driven axles', & not even the Americans ever built anything like that. 😀

Edited by Jake The Rat

5 hours ago, Jake The Rat said:

Also, there is no way to describe an engine with no wheels at all in UIC. Every loco must have at least 1 driven axle, so they didn't bother to assign a letter to 'no driven axles'. I'd suggest 'Z', which would normally mean '26 driven axles', & not even the Americans ever built anything like that. 😀

UIC uses the letter 'Z' in the type classification of railway coaches. Z is the designation for Prisoner transporter.

• RMweb Premium

A short video clip of a test run on 'Dintdale' with the two Pecketts 'Courier' and 'Mercury'.  I'm still trying to make up my mind whether to make it look bleak and windswept or plant trees everywhere instead.

https://youtu.be/QSVrwhanozs

This screen capture from the N.E.R. railcar video I posted above is the kind of thing I'm wondering about, but I don't know if I've got the skills to do it properly.

9jTjFO0.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Schooner said:

I'm glad you did, as I get a "This video is private" screen when following the YouTube link. Tease!

Oops, - sorry I did that wrong.  The link should be accessible now.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Annie said:

I'm still trying to make up my mind whether to make it look bleak and windswept or plant trees everywhere instead.

Nice video, it does need some trees!

Clumps! Thats what you need, rather like this photo I took from the top of Malham Cove some years ago. (when the world was greener...)

pic5.jpg.4b0b8775b47a2ceccf7f81e3dc2015ee.jpg

Or just a few wiry, windswept examples huddled miserably together in sheltered nooks and crannies along the way...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Nice video, it does need some trees!

Clumps! Thats what you need, rather like this photo I took from the top of Malham Cove some years ago. (when the world was greener...)

pic5.jpg.4b0b8775b47a2ceccf7f81e3dc2015ee.jpg

Or just a few wiry, windswept examples huddled miserably together in sheltered nooks and crannies along the way...

Thank you, - yes that's very much the kind of appearance that I'm after.  The original version of 'Dintdale' is certainly very nice, but I can't help feeling that it's a bit too over treed in some areas.

16 hours ago, Annie said:

A short video clip of a test run on 'Dintdale' with the two Pecketts 'Courier' and 'Mercury'.  I'm still trying to make up my mind whether to make it look bleak and windswept or plant trees everywhere instead.

https://youtu.be/QSVrwhanozs

This screen capture from the N.E.R. railcar video I posted above is the kind of thing I'm wondering about, but I don't know if I've got the skills to do it properly.

9jTjFO0.jpg

I like this vehicle

Here is Heljan taking measurements back in 2018

DSCN6786.JPG.cc2c2e19c2e62cb9c493db560a2abc83.JPG

... and consulting the drawings 

124423434_DSCN6756-Copy.JPG.4f12e9a03f0c877b3be7d5ebb90f15f5.JPG

DSCN6760.JPG.62271e632cc629431276e8a3e46ef97e.JPG

Skip forward to a press session with Hornby Magazine in 2020 and she's out of the shed:

168933992_20200910_120552-Copy.jpg.e584e3592327b88670e7e5c72c8a288e.jpg

20200910_122439.jpg.cc5a9da54097a2b37ea545168b1eb3d1.jpg

20200910_122655.jpg.c230e03d56bff996776b3781c193a5dc.jpg

20200910_121122.jpg.3c4fd5d570b07f9d12cd913f550f4f8d.jpg

1984357747_20200910_131252-Copy.jpg.df6eddc73e1984648601fa11e304722e.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I like this vehicle

Here is Heljan taking measurements back in 2018

It really is an amazing combination of luck and determination that this railcar has survived and with so much of its original body structure and woodwork intact.  It's mechanical reconstruction and the decisions around the use of modern technology make for a fascinating story as well.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Still feeling fatigued & etc post-COVID, but despite that I set myself the task of finishing off a pair of basic GWR Broad Gauge wagons and sending them off to the DLS; -  One clean and one weathered.  I decided not to number them even though I've got some number lists for the Broad Gauge era since they are only generic models rather than accurate representations.

The meshes for these were made as a creator group project to quickly provide a series of open wagons for the later Broad Gauge era since there was nuffing available.  The Broad Gauge Society's 408 drawing was used as a basic guide to resize some existing wagon meshes so some compromises had to be made.

9fqov4T.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

After having Trainz TRS22 in my black books for ages due to it messing up my much loved alternative Norfolk layout I decided to go back and take another look at it.  Once again my intrepid Y65 No.1303 and the two coach motor train set was the test train. (And yes I know No.1303 shouldn't be painted black, but it's an older Trainz model with very basic texturing so one colour is all it does).

So on a very misty morning No.1303 set off on the 10.00am passenger service from Elgar Junction to Little Keldon and return.

I had a hunch that the now very old double track spline model I'd used ever since my layout's early days might be the problem.  It had never been a problem in any of the earlier versions of Trainz, but TRS22 does all kinds of things differently to everything that's gone before.  Last time I'd been running tests with No.1303 I'd noticed that certain specific areas of the layout were troublesome with scenery that was very slow to load.  This time I particularly noticed that whenever No.1303's smokebox was pointed in the direction of any of this trackwork, that was when the trouble started.  With the GER-GCR joint section almost entirely laid with this track type I can see a lengthy track renewal program in my future.

To test my theory I replaced the 4 miles of trackwork between Little Keldon and Bluebell Woods as this was one of the troublesome sections.  Along the way I fixed the odd thing I'd been meaning to do for a while such as distant signals at level crossings & etc.  And all was good.  The fourth picture with No.1303 trundling past a cow pasture was taken on this section and as you can see the scenery is all wonderfully visible.

BbwdxkD.jpg

F6GybOc.jpg

6cNM4Ly.jpg

Mk3UB1M.jpg

2qARuNE.jpg

w4Ls9TC.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 6

N3V have advised against using double track splines in the past, it's relatively well known that they can cause problems when used in newer routes. Unfortunately there's no easy way to replace them other than individually deleting each section and replacing it one a time. I remember doing this on one of my old routes that originated in TS2009 and recall it being so tedious that I ended up deleting a massive chunk of the route and starting again to fix a load of other things at the same time...

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, eheaps said:

N3V have advised against using double track splines in the past, it's relatively well known that they can cause problems when used in newer routes. Unfortunately there's no easy way to replace them other than individually deleting each section and replacing it one a time. I remember doing this on one of my old routes that originated in TS2009 and recall it being so tedious that I ended up deleting a massive chunk of the route and starting again to fix a load of other things at the same time...

It's been my own lazy fault Ed, - I've known about these old double track splines for a while now only they weren't really a problem until I upgraded my TS2019 SP3 install to TRS22 and then everything fell apart.  Fortunately  I had replaced some sections during station rebuilds so now it's mainly the double trackwork between stations that needs changing.  There's some signal revisions and minor track adjustments I've been wanting to do for some time so this is as good a time as any to do them.

This Norfolk layout of mine is a bit of a patchwork with some parts dating back to TS2009 and it's been steadily added to and modified since then.  I had thought about starting again with it and I have done some small trial sections to see how they might work out, but in the end I made up my mind to stay with it and upgrade and fix the parts that need it.

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's been a while, - far too long in fact, - but I'm back with retexturing and detailing open wagons again.  This is the first day when I've been able to breathe without feeling like there's an old sock in my lungs.  I'm still a bit sleepy and brain fogged so I made more than a few mistakes with the texture work, but it all seems to have worked out Ok in the end.

The 15ft body mesh is one specially developed by the creator group for one of the member's layout project, but it sort of mushroomed from there because if you're going to make a 5 plank body mesh you might as well make a 2 and 3 plank body mesh as well.  The seriously nice wooden 15ft underframe is a kit made by Ed Heaps and is available as a dumb buffered underframe as well as with a variety of brake options.  I painted the underframe red by the way so if it doesn't look quite right it's not Ed's fault.

I borrowed 'Dintdale' to take this PO wagon's official portrait, though how a Lanky colliery wagon ended up in N.E.R. territory I don't know.  I'll do two or three number variations and then while I've got the red paint out I'll see what other red PO wagons I can find.

igtKzdd.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5