Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

51 minutes ago, Annie said:

I'm none too sure where the prototype bridge is located Mike, ..................

Thank you for the additional pics, Annie.  I'm even more intrigued, seeing a GWR train on the bridge :)

EDIT - the centre section looks rather like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tees_Newport_Bridge

Mike

Edited by MikeOxon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The original layout 'A Moment in Time' somehow managed to compress most of England into itself with some parts having a Southern Railway influence, some parts having a GWR influence and some parts a LNER influence.  I struggled quite a bit with trying to make sense of it all and didn't really manage to come up with anything workable. 

Now though I could convert it all to NER/LNER since I have so much in the way of engines and rolling stock of NER origin, but as for trying to actually place the layout on a map that would be a lost cause right from the start.

Equally I could do the GWR or the Southern as well and the landscape as it stands would perhaps be better for either company, but I really would like to stick with the NER/LNER since all the rolling stock I have was originally purchased for this layout.

More lift bridge.

zpYRiBk.jpg

tGq68fn.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One of the members of the creator group I belong to is building the Wisbech & Upwell in TS2019 and he's using a lot of my GER goods wagon which isn't so surprising really since my GER goods wagons are about the only ones available for Trainz.  After an interesting and lively discussion in our private club house I now have some further suggestions for GER goods wagons so perhaps it's time for me to fire up Paint.NET again and harrass some pixels.

All I have do now is try and stay awake.  The weather is a lot cooler now, but for some reason I'm being smitten with sleepiness which is more than a little frustrating.

Perhaps a nice cheer up picture will help.

Nx7m8UY.jpg

• Like 4

On 02/03/2020 at 22:46, MikeOxon said:

Thank you for the additional pics, Annie.  I'm even more intrigued, seeing a GWR train on the bridge :)

EDIT - the centre section looks rather like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tees_Newport_Bridge

Mike

Agreed, but it would need a good head for heights to be whisked up as far as that in the little cabin.

The one I sadly missed traveling over was the M&GN Breydon Water swing bridge. It looks fun in that little cabin chatting to all the boaters

breydon_water_swing_bridge.png.1788a183a85e3b9ada9024e1077ef773.png

It features prominently in 'Coot Club' one of the Arthur Ransome books

1093897774_ARbreydon.jpg.c51bb5a254d98ef5512b0c7c54062caa.jpg

Glad it is getting cooler for you, mazed at your productivity.

Things are improving here too, lovely spring day - equal day and night length in a fortnight !

dh

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It would be a great view from up there. but as you say the operating staff would need a good head for heights.

Thanks for the picture of Breyton viaduct.  I'm going to file that one away for later since I think I've got the right kind of bridge models to make make a passable representation.

Weather is remaining cooler here which is nice.  I'm still plagued by needing to sleep, but my quality of sleep seems to be better so it might be that I'm doing some kind of catch up with my 'roll the dice' sleeping pattern now that temperatures aren't in the 30's anymore.

Edited by Annie
more to say

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

I'm not sure if I know to make the glass look believably  dirty Mike.  I could have a look at the textures I suppose and see if I can figure something out.

No one has made any pigeons for Trainz that I know of.  Most birds made for Trainz always look far too big to my eyes.  I did at one time download what was supposed to be sparrows for placing on telegraph wires and they were the size of ravens.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Various snaps taken along the Eastlingwold & Great Mulling when I was half asleep.  These definitely aren't competition winners.

G5ANe0g.jpg

XOMyaKY.jpg

Q3JY0Kq.jpg

4Ux5OFq.jpg

pmQL2Uw.jpg

6jQGOod.jpg

yX9x2Go.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Um....Pears Soap  :blush_mini:

It's something to do with the smoke scripting Mike.  The blue Beyer Peacock entering the station in the 4th picture and the black 2-4-0ST in the last three pictures use a different script version to the other engines.  I edited the script a little so they didn't look like they were burning old oil soaked socks and the smoke from their chimneys looks reasonably good now.  I think I'll change my other 19th century engines over to this smoke script since the cluster of puffballs version isn't really the best.

• RMweb Premium

Random Bunbury section snaps.  Work is slowly proceeding on this section.  There's a lot of speedtree groups from TS2010 on this four mile section that I 'borrowed' from the old legacy route 'Middle Vale' and they are a pain because I can't bulk replace them with anything using the surveyor tools which means that I have to delete them one by one and replace them  with individual tree models.  Tedious yes, but being able to place better tree models is well worth it since I can use a wide variety of trees instead of the same grouped eight trees repeated over and over like it was originally.

I've been able to flatten out the un-Norfolk-like hills which has improved things, but I've left the one that I decided is an ancient Neolithic hill fort site.  The towns and villages were built by the Plonk Down Building Co so they'll be getting some work done on them as time goes on.  The huge lake (Would it be called a 'mere' in Norfolk?) at Bunbury remains a problem, but I'm tending towards keeping it.  My alternative version of Norfolk seems to go in for large bodies of water and inexplicable coastlines so why should I stop now.

I found a ruined abbey model so that's been placed on this section now.  Being a good Catholic girl there's nothing like rubbing in the destruction Henry VIII wrought on the English landscape and its people, - but let's not go there since religion is not supposed to be a topic for discussion on the pre-grouping forums.

usRhDCp.jpg

X85xsLO.jpg

Edited by Annie
crimes against grammar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

It's a 'broad' not a 'mere' in Norfolk.  It's difficult for Americans to get the meaning :)

Did you just mistake me for an American Mike?  That's worse than been mistaken for an Australian.  Much much worse.  Horrifyingly worse.:blink:

But thank you giving me the correct name for a Norfolk lake.  For some reason I though a 'broad' was a wide river so now I stand corrected.

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Annie said:

The huge lake (Would it be called a 'mere' in Norfolk?) at Bunbury remains a problem

To the southwest of the "real" Bunbury, it would be a mere, though a bit to the east on an arc encompassing Northwich, Middlewich and Nantwich it would  be a "flash" due to subsidence from salt extraction. But as MikeOxon says, in Norfolk it would be a Broad.

TheMereAtEllesmere.jpg.ff2c9e0424cc911af629d041a70ae5eb.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere.

TheFlashAtWinsford.jpg.1d0ec99c3f9919acaca3d32a747ff5c1.jpg

Winsford Flashes

Edited by Hroth
Finetuning directions, etc...
  • Informative/Useful 1