Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

To the southwest of the "real" Bunbury, it would be a mere, though a bit to the east on an arc encompassing Northwich, Middlewich and Nantwich it would  be a "flash" due to subsidence from salt extraction. But as MikeOxon says, in Norfolk it would be a Broad.

TheMereAtEllesmere.jpg.ff2c9e0424cc911af629d041a70ae5eb.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere.

TheFlashAtWinsford.jpg.1d0ec99c3f9919acaca3d32a747ff5c1.jpg

Winsford Flashes

Thank you very much for that Mr Hroth.  So my faux Bunbury is next to a Broad.  I suppose I'm going to have to find some suitable water craft for it now and set it up with a jetty and couple of boat builders yards.

5 hours ago, MikeOxon said:

No, I didn't mistake you, Annie.  It was just a comment that the same word has different meanings in different places.  I have been to both NZ and USA and appreciate the considerable differences :)

It's alright, I didn't actually think you'd misidentified me.

As for Americans and their misuse of words and not knowing what they mean I shouldn't be surprised since they can't spell properly.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A few snaps.  B&FER 'Sharpie' No.12 with a train of 7 plank PO wagons heading for Foxhollow.

STTSbj0.jpg

G10WACf.jpg

Windweather Loop Line passenger service.  Single driver tank engine No.7 crossing the bridge over the salt mash.

7EDjF5H.jpg

Edited by Annie
punctuation failure
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

New 'Sharpie'.  I'm finding the same problem as i had when I completed the E&GR mainline.  The more track, the more engines that are needed to run services.  There's still more work to do on the B&FER, but adding in 4 miles more to the west of Moxbury almost immediately showed me that the two 'Sharpies' Nos. 10 & 12 were no longer enough to run the passenger services. as well as goods trains on the old B&FER mainline.

According to the history of the affiliated companies they were starting to paint their engines black when the GER suddenly purchased a substantial shareholding in all of them.  So I decided that No.9 would be a black engine rather than blue.  No.9 looks very nice indeed in lined black even if I do say so myself.

XnxLlCH.jpg

A new wagon.  I found a old 7 plank wagon model I'd made for TS2009 some time ago and thought I'd update it for my present layout.  Only I struck all kinds of difficulties with it and progressively as I began to change things in order to fix the darn thing I discovered that I'd ended up with something else entirely.  I have a number of fictitious PO wagons belonging to local traders on my layout so now Jay Pilch has joined their ranks.  I found a useful webpage listing old Norfolk surnames and 'Pilch' was the surname I chose for this PO wagon

aVQRQmn.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Posting some snaps so you know I'm alive.

An E&GR saddle tank approaching Brenton Wood with a mineral train.  I used to have an ancient  Longridge long boiler 0-6-0 on this duty, but its brakes were appalling even with scripted digital brakes on the tender and two brake vans.  It had to be run at slow speed or it would over run signals which held up other traffic on the line so these saddle tanks got the job instead.  Very nice steady runners they are too and they have brakes that actually work!

ccTBLBp.jpg

With the new Bunbury section on the west side of Moxbury as well as the semi-hidden return loop at the end of the section it's now possible to run a proper passenger service with some semblance of a timetable.

The B&FER standardised on Sharp Stewart & Co's 0-6-2T's almost as soon as they became available since they are a good all round general purpose tank engine and that standardisation policy has worked well for the company.  Now if they could have applied the same degree of wisdom to their financial dealings............

BOxoJJX.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening Trains.  I ran the new train scheduling for 7 hours using my special techique of falling asleep without intending to for 6 hours; - and it took 7 hours for a snarl up to happen.  Trainz AI (Artificial Incompetence) tends to lose the plot with extended running sessions so that wasn't entirely unexpected.

The new B&FER local passenger train service is running nice and sweetly now and finally I have got a regular passenger train service on the B&FER that doesn't involve station staff having to go around and dust the cobwebs off the waiting passengers on the platform,  The 'Sharpies' on the passenger service are putting in some fairly smart timings now that I've carefully revised the speed limits on the B&FER line, but just to mix it up a little there are the semi-fast E&GR passenger trains as well as E&GR goods trains running through to Moxbury, - and B&FER goods trains as well, - for the 'Sharpies' to contend with.

I'm working on sorting out a schedule for the MS&LR passenger train that arrives and leaves from Moxbury, but that will be a bit more complex since I'll have to use longer clock time settings in the schedule and I haven't done that before.  Initial experiments are promising though.

W4CNcMc.jpg

gS9GOG8.jpg

f6Dtlur.jpg

6lxmMQP.jpg

IDOrS2e.jpg

767AESI.jpg

PPBCais.jpg

Edited by Annie
leaving words out
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Annie said:

...AI (Artificial Incompetence)...

Thank you for explaining that abbreviation - it has made many things clearer :)

I like the evening 'atmosphere', although I see some bubbles are still being blown.  You must clean out all that soap from the boiler :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a lot of fun running evening trains and it's something I enjoy.

I have a lot of smoke scripts to choose from to replace those old bubble blowing scripts Mike, but I want to avoid any that make an engine look like it's storming up Shap when it's coasting at 20mph.  I'll give the one that the 'Sharpies' use a try.  It has a very slight hint of 'bubbles', but otherwise it produces smoke in believeable quantities.

6yUQfD7.jpg

Edited by Annie
added picture
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

1KrBZaw.jpg

A small victory with coach lighting.  I gave the windows of this coach a slight yellow ochre tint and now the lights don't glare white when they switch on.  Now I only have to do the same thing to the rest of the coaches that have lighting.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning milk train from Great Mulling.  There is a dairy factory on the layout (Yes I did finally manage to be that well organised) and they make insane quantities of cheese which eventually finds its way to London among other destinations.  Along the way the Hurst 0-4-2WT will pick up two milk vans from Eastlingwold as well.

SJ13pZT.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Annie said:

A small victory with coach lighting.  I gave the windows of this coach a slight yellow ochre tint and now the lights don't glare white when they switch on.  Now I only have to do the same thing to the rest of the coaches that have lighting.

Presumably the same technique could be used for station roofs, which really do look brown when smoke-stained.  Should 'smoking' compartments have a deeper colour?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely worth a try with the station roofs Mike since it didn't take much of a tint on the windows of my test coach to make a difference.  I think someone figured out how to fit smoking labels on the windows of carriages in TS2019, but I can't do that in TS2012 unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

4kDXx6V.jpg

Not much happening worthy of taking snaps of.  My present project of taking the B&FER line all the way through to the terminus at Foxhollow has moved past the 'what have I done!' stage and is actually getting somewhere, but is still an awful WIP mess.  Great Mulling finally got its GER connection, but it's only a junction leading to a hidden pair of portals since I wanted to avoid building the GER line itself and attempting to explain where it goes to.  Great Mulling also was given a small branchline of no great importance to Mulling on the Hill, - which makes Great Mulling somewhat of a rail hub since it also has two goods only branches as well.  As a result of all this doing trip workings and shunting at Great Mulling is a lot of fun since there are so many different tasks to do.

9lRd0GP.jpg

In other news the weather has been much cooler here allowing me to indulge in advanced duvet snuggling for much of the day.  Our Summer is the enemy of duvet snuggling so I'm glad it's finally gone.  Still struggling with long episodes of falling asleep, but at least I'm now more clear headed during my wakeful times so I can get some things done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Annie said:

If I was in charge of HS2 you can easily guess what it would be like Mike.

1810%20Holden%20'Claud%20Hamilton'%20Cla

Given the photograph was taken on orthochromatic film, are they flying a Quarantine flag?  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
Late emoji application...

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Given the photograph was taken on orthochromatic film, are they flying a Quarantine flag?

It's a red warning flag for a swing bridge Mr Hroth.  The flag is raised to warn shipping that the bridge is now blocking the shipping channel.   I have two swing bridges on my layout and both have red warning flags just like that one.

Anyone presently arriving in New Zealand has to undergo quarantine for 14 days which I consider to be a good thing.  Nasty foreign Johnnies thinking they can just step off a plane or a plague ship cruise liner and wander about here as they please.  Seriously though if an animal is transported to another country it has to go into quarantine and yet the most disease ridden creatures of all, -us, - have no restrictions at all when we travel.  Daft I call it.

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Annie said:

If I was in charge of HS2 you can easily guess what it would be like Mike.

1810%20Holden%20'Claud%20Hamilton'%20Cla

A Claude, obviously, but on two-tone carriages - Great Central? Is this the Liverpool-Harwich (or vice-versa) boat train?

11 hours ago, Annie said:

Waking up cheer up picture.

P2-34.jpg

Another Claude - Cambridge? (Judging by the sea of rails stretching away from the platform.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes it's Cambridge Mr Compound.

As to the first picture I don't know the location, but I found the two tone carriages intriguing as well. 

Edit:  Looked on smugmug.com and found the photo, but no details are given unfortunately.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 1