Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Annie, just catching up (it's been a bit of a week), and sorry to hear of your biblical deluge.  I how the worst is over and it's fixed without too much lasting damage.

Thanks very much James.  I struck it really lucky with the chap who is doing the repairs as he's a retired engineer who decided to take up being a part time handyman in our local area.  He's approached the whole gutter replacement with the mindset of an engineer and he's doing a really excellent job.  There's still some final work to do which he should complete tomorrow and the final result should be  well able handle anything our usual Winter weather should want to throw at it.

Fortunately not very much damage was done inside my bedroom, but it has prompted me to set about getting rid of clutter that has been hanging around for far too long which I'm never going to do anything with.  It's going to be a bit of a slow process, but if I keep steadily working at it at a sensible pace I should end up with a tidy bedroom by the time Summer comes around.

19 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Reminds me of the '70s buildings at one of my schools.  Flat roofs; always leaked.  Every classroom had at least one bucket deployed.  Fixed and re-covered a hundred times.  Never stopped leaking.  probably won an award. 

The 1970s really was a time for daft architectural ideas, - flat roofs certainly being one of them.  The idea behind the guttering inflicted on the outside of my bedroom was that it was invisible and couldn't be seen, but being an internal gutter if anything went wrong with it water would leak into the interior of any building it was fitted to.  Plainly whoever designed this type of gutter didn't think of that.

30 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, you know this is the prototype for WNR No.1?

I thought it looked familiar.  It's certainly a very attractive locomotive so I will be looking for somewhere it run it once I can get back to my digital trainsets again.

• RMweb Premium

A member of the creator group I belong to asked if some of the group members could look over a layout he'd built and give some feedback before it was uploaded to the Trainz Download Station so I thought I'd have a look at it.  It's a type of layout that I hadn't come across before in that it's modelled to look like a model railway layout set up in a room.  The layout's builder had grown up in Norfolk so it's a BR era ex-GER BLT which is the era he remembers from when he was much younger than he is now.  If nothing else it gave me a chance to give CV&HR No.1 a run and a very nice engine it is too.

The layout is still lacking its backscene so you'll have to forgive the concrete block walls.

NjYFHlh.jpg

kQ7fwCI.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Another member of the creator group has recently made a barebones version of CJ Freezer's classic layout 'Minories'  using the same model railway room format as I posted above.  I'm presently trying to decide if I want to do anything with it.  Being a country railways/minor railways type of modeller the idea of doing a city terminus down in a trench is well outside my comfort zone.  There are some very nice steam era MET locomotives and coaches available, but I know not a thing about the MET.  Other railway companies are of course available including my much loved GER, but with other projects still needing to be completed I'm a little reluctant to take on another one.

Minories-1.jpg

Minories-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Ah! That's something I've wanted to do for my little Trainz layout, eventually :) It looks very effective, was it done entirely within Trainz own editor, or was the room created as an object? Thanks for posting about it here, Annie, and I think you should give the Met Minories a whirl - nothing ventured...

Glad it's all good news on the home front, finding good people makes the world of difference.

All the best,

Schooner

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, Schooner said:

Glad it's all good news on the home front, finding good people makes the world of difference

Thank you Schooner; - this morning the skilled and pleasant gentleman who has been repairing my house screwed in the last screw and the job is done, - and a very fine job he has made of it too.

2 hours ago, Schooner said:

Ah! That's something I've wanted to do for my little Trainz layout, eventually :) It looks very effective, was it done entirely within Trainz own editor, or was the room created as an object? Thanks for posting about it here, Annie, and I think you should give the Met Minories a whirl - nothing ventured...

The model railway room format is a version of Trainz that was especially devised to replicate the appearance of a model railway in a room/shed/garage/basement.  https://www.trainzportal.com/product/view/trainz-model-railroad-2017

It's a format that has really taken off with many Trainz enthusiasts making layouts for TS2017, but with me being a little luddite at heart and suspicious of anything new I took my time over investigating it.

Presently my choice would be between the GER or the MET, but the MET might have the advantage due to a very skilled content creator for Trainz making some seriously nice locomotives, coaches and goods wagons for the MET.  As much as I love the GER the situation for the same items is pretty darn poor despite me and one or two others creating a good quantity of goods wagons for the GER.  I did consider the GWR, but I would want to do it as a Broad Gauge terminus, - which would mean dual gauge track and while such track does exist it's devilishly difficult to lay properly.  Possibly something for later when I'm feeling a little more alert.

So it looks like the MET might be the winner.  These are 'E' class engines by Edward Heaps and would be my choice of motive power.  Ed's other MET engines are the larger classes and wouldn't suit 'Minories' so well.  

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Research begins.  I had a rotten day yesterday with being very sleepy and only managed to stay awake for four hours, but I'm feeling a little better today so spending some time doing research looks to be a useful occupation.

https://amershammuseum.org/history/research/transport/memories-of-the-metropolitan-railway/

Metro-Land_(1921).png

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just the video I wanted to find since 1910 would be my prefered period of interest.  It's the first part of the video showing the cut and cover stations that interest me the most since that's how I would want my version of MET 'Minories' to be.  No idea of what to call the layout so for now I'll call it 'Umbridge' as a working title.

The next big question is electric or steam, - or both.  Electric track of the right sort is available, but I would have to have a closer look at it before I make up my mind.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Still sleepy and useless at the moment, but I thought you might like to see a work in progress representation of the Madder Valley Railway using the Trainz model railway format.  This is based on the second plan of the MVR with some guidance from photos taken at Pendon.

Room-3.jpg

zjHrnTx.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ah, be still my beating heart! 

Annie that is just wonderful.  What an absolutely charming idea.

Of course, Pendon 'unbent' the layout somewhat, but most of it seems to be where it should and I have bags more pictures of MVR from my Pendon trip; I think I only went about halfway round with the pictures on Castle Aching.  Time to post some more?

Looking forward to seeing more of this one.

IMG_4214.JPG.31b4cadaf772568c0fbd5d4da3876de4.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, be still my beating heart! 

Annie that is just wonderful.  What an absolutely charming idea.

Of course, Pendon 'unbent' the layout somewhat, but most of it seems to be where it should and I have bags more pictures of MVR from my Pendon trip; I think I only went about halfway round with the pictures on Castle Aching.  Time to post some more?

Looking forward to seeing more of this one.

I must hasten to say James that this is not my work.  It's being done by a member of the creator group I belong to.  He's put a lot of work into it including specially retexturing buildings for this layout.  There was a lot of debate over what gauge to make it since John Ahern seemed to be using a larger scale than 4mm for his engines and rolling stock so the railway has been laid to narrow gauge rather than standard gauge.  At present it's 2ft gauge, but I think 3ft gauge would be better.  No doubt with it still being a WIP such matters might be subject to change.  Be assured I will continue to report on the layout's progress as time goes on.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Annie said:

I must hasten to say James that this is not my work.  It's being done by a member of the creator group I belong to.  He's put a lot of work into it including specially retexturing buildings for this layout.  There was a lot of debate over what gauge to make it since John Ahern seemed to be using a larger scale than 4mm for his engines and rolling stock so the railway has been laid to narrow gauge rather than standard gauge.  At present it's 2ft gauge, but I think 3ft gauge would be better.  No doubt with it still being a WIP such matters might be subject to change.  Be assured I will continue to report on the layout's progress as time goes on.

It was standard gauge and included standard gauge locomotives (i.e. models based on SG prototypes.   It also included at least a couple of NG prototypes, made larger until the gauge was brought to standard, and a Broad Gauge loco made smaller until it confirmed to SG. Much of the goods stock came from SG Grouping companies.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It was standard gauge and included standard gauge locomotives (i.e. models based on SG prototypes.   It also included at least a couple of NG prototypes, made larger until the gauge was brought to standard, and a Broad Gauge loco made smaller until it confirmed to SG. Much of the goods stock came from SG Grouping companies.

Yes I thought that might be so.  I didn't enter into the debate that the other group members were having so I guess what they came up with is what works for them.  Once the layout is released as a finished item I fully intend to see if I can change the gauge to standard gauge since I made some Madder Valley goods wagons around a year ago and I'd like to see them running on their home metals instead of popping up from time to time on my GER and K&ESR layouts

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Annie said:

Yes I thought that might be so.  I didn't enter into the debate that the other group members were having so I guess what they came up with is what works for them.  Once the layout is released as a finished item I fully intend to see if I can change the gauge to standard gauge since I made some Madder Valley goods wagons around a year ago and I'd like to see them running on their home metals instead of popping up from time to time on my GER and K&ESR layouts

Well, it's not really a topic for legitimate debate, because there is no doubt that it's a standard gauge line. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dunwurken said:

Annie

Just a passing thought, has anyone in your group attempted Craigshire?

Malcolm

Not as yet Malcolm, but who knows what might happen in the future.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dunwurken said:

Annie

Just a passing thought, has anyone in your group attempted Craigshire?

Malcolm

51 minutes ago, Annie said:

Not as yet Malcolm, but who knows what might happen in the future.

You know, one of my first thoughts was "virtual recreations of classic layouts, why, Annie could have Craig in the room next door!"

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

You know, one of my first thoughts was "virtual recreations of classic layouts, why, Annie could have Craig in the room next door!"

First though James I need to learn the esoteric secrets of how to build a layout in this format,  There's a fair bit of cleverly devised tricky new techniques involved so for the present time I'm doing a lot of watching and learning.

And perhaps the next question is, 'Does anyone have a layout plan of Craig?'  Most of my collection of old railway modelling magazines were destroyed a few years ago when the garage flooded.  (Heavy rain is very much a thing here in the Waikato)

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, Annie said:

And perhaps the next question is, 'Does anyone have a layout plan of Craig?'  Most of my collection of old railway modelling magazines were destroyed a few years ago when the garage flooded.  (Heavy rain is very much a thing here in the Waikato)

I have a book 'Narrow Gauge Adventure' by P D Hancock, published by Peco 1975.  It provides a history of Craigshire up to that time and indicates that there were several different versions over the years.  It contains maps of the various versions.

There was an article illustrate with colour photos of Craigshire in 'Railway Modeller', April 1980.

I believe that parts of the layout have been recovered and are being restored but haven't got the details to hand.

Mike

• Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, Annie said:

First though James I need to learn the esoteric secrets of how to build a layout in this format,  There's a fair bit of cleverly devised tricky new techniques involved so for the present time I'm doing a lot of watching and learning.

I evidently have a plan somewhere in an old RM ...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeOxon said:

I have a book 'Narrow Gauge Adventure' by P D Hancock, published by Peco 1975.  It provides a history of Craigshire up to that time and indicates that there were several different versions over the years.  It contains maps of the various versions.

There was an article illustrate with colour photos of Craigshire in 'Railway Modeller', April 1980.

I believe that parts of the layout have been recovered and are being restored but haven't got the details to hand.

Mike

Well that was a bit of luck Mike, a second hand bookseller in Auckland (NZ) has a copy and I've just purchased it on line.  That was good since usually I have to buy books like this from the Uk and the postage can often be as much as the price of the book.

I'm not making any promises about when and if I'll build such a layout, but at least if I have a good reference book I'll stand a better chance.

55 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I evidently have a plan somewhere in an old RM ...

DSCN6584.JPG

That plan section is a tantalizing glimpse James,  I can very much remember reading about Craig when I was younger than I am today and was very much delighted by it.  I know Craig went through several rebuilds and identity changes so I'd have to make up my mind which one to do which might be a small challenge.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Annie said:

Well that was a bit of luck Mike, a second hand bookseller in Auckland (NZ) has a copy and I've just purchased it on line.  ...

Good news.  I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I have!

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Postage prices wanted by Ebay traders for the April 1980 copy of Railway Modeller are insane, but on searching the on-line archives for the Railway Modeller (I have a subscription) I found the April 2015 copy of the magazine has a review of what has survived from Craigshire and it has a map of the final version of the layout.  The on-line archive doesn't go back to 1980 unfortunately, but the April 2015 article is an adequate substitute.  What I would prefer though is a plan of Craigshire before the standard gauge started to dominate the layout.

7 hours ago, Annie said:

Well that was a bit of luck Mike, a second hand bookseller in Auckland (NZ) has a copy and I've just purchased it on line.  That was good since usually I have to buy books like this from the Uk and the postage can often be as much as the price of the book.

I'm not making any promises about when and if I'll build such a layout, but at least if I have a good reference book I'll stand a better chance.

DSCN6584.JPG

That plan section is a tantalizing glimpse James,  I can very much remember reading about Craig when I was younger than I am today and was very much delighted by it.  I know Craig went through several rebuilds and identity changes so I'd have to make up my mind which one to do which might be a small challenge.

The Edwardian Archive has not let me down.

Here is the plan in full, taken from a 1957 RM. It differs significantly from the second version plan you posted, and with which I was unfamiliar, so the plan below was, for me, the classic Craig, before it became too crowded. 

DSCN6600.JPG.5c88661ea39097f97a066726e60e1363.JPG

EDIT: Some pictures from this period:

1702221099_Circa1957.jpg.0823a67045cef54a0281aa781a594994.jpg

738474163_DSCN6668-Copy.JPG.80d422f74b041153518c136e4fd85ef0.JPG

131999350_DSCN6672-Copy.JPG.a37ef86d3b386c29a3e553025871b73d.JPG

DSCN6671 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
Pictures
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1