Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

Hello again! Progress on my own Broad Gauge Project, like Annie's. I'm sorry to hear that things have been a little rough for you Annie.

These progress shots are taken in Surveyor and I've been a little hands on today! I also finally decided what era this route actually should be. I was thinking the 1850s or so. Which means no signalboxes for me! Ignore the modern people, they are purely there to make sure they didn't step out of line!(Hovering over the platform edges! :nono:)

I did get a bit angry if I must be honest! :no2: I was frustrated with the platform on the far left, a few of the passengers insisted hovering over the platform edge and every solution seemed to involve a lot of work. Thankfully I found an easy one! Make the platform a little wider(I'm not sure if these will stay or if I'll have to do a whole route replacement, with wooden platforms!) and move the track over a little. 

You can also see here two brand new buildings I put in place of the yet to be replaced modern shops! What do you think? I love how they are so timeless, with no modern significance or anything.

The buildings on the right of the modern shops(belching smoke!) I feel probably can stay.

I have a little treat to show there! ;) 

(Ignore the hovering track, bringing all the railway down to ground level is another thing on my list, also the hovering signs, all WIP, will be sorted!)

112120318_RMPics1.png.21690a00b2f42cea6adc95d5823f1ab6.png

1470570664_RMPics1.png.894da1703414db720b4fee0343b217c4.pngA little treat! Ever the gentlemen, he allows his wife to board the Carriage First. Where are they off to? Surely not the station! 

I added a wonderful road and pavement spline here which I think is in era? I might have to replace that station fence, a lot might have to be changed! 

I adore this model and I believe the woman is probably appropriate for the 1850s, as well as the man. The modern(A century ahead infact!) buses will be replaced. Every out of place vehicle will become one of three lovely coach models.

I've yet to add a Station Building. Don't worry, the station will not be as populated as you see here, as I've mentioned, they are purely for building purposes, so I know they won't be hovering over the track and so when I add bits and pieces, it's not in the way of them!

Edited by Oscillation
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Shops are a difficult subject in Trainz with a good many buildings being of Victorian origin, but modelled for the BR error with modern shop fronts and other modern fittings.  I've been meaning to fix some of these buildings for a while now, but haven't got around to it yet.

It is possible to change an interactive platform over to use the 1890s passenger set as I know I did it myself at one time, but I would need to have a look at it again since I've forgotten how I did it

There certainly are some very nice horse drawn vehicles available for Trainz.  The carriage in your picture looks like one of Steve Flanders.

• Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Annie said:

Not doing much since this infection in my tooth/gums/jaw is making me more sleepy and not very motivated.  The swelling is going down though and it's not really hurting anymore so the antibiotics are doing their stuff.

While deeply asleep I've been vividly dreaming about building layouts in Trainz and it's very confusing when i wake up and discover that it was only a dream and I wasn't doing it at all.  Dreams need a save option in my opinion.

Watching Youtube videos to do with steam engines and I found this delight.  I'm certainly going to be checking out the rest of this chap's videos since they look to be a lot of fun.

Oldest loco at the Middleton when I went there 3 years ago was a Cockerill of 1890.

728550669_DSC_2784-Copy.JPG.0c18e3d03ceef6f25dbc8458fcc85bf1.JPG

8 hours ago, Northroader said:

Well, you tie one end of the string firmly round your poorly tooth, and then tie the other end round a doorknob, and then give the door a good slam.

Den Tist.

One of those plucky Lawrence of Arabia/Greenmantle types in the Great War, I forget the name, had a bad go of tooth ache after the war in Paris.  He tried that trick.  And it worked.  Until he died of blood poisoning a few days later.  Mind you, that's Paris for you. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Annie said:

Not doing much since this infection in my tooth/gums/jaw is making me more sleepy and not very motivated.  The swelling is going down though and it's not really hurting anymore so the antibiotics are doing their stuff.

While deeply asleep I've been vividly dreaming about building layouts in Trainz and it's very confusing when i wake up and discover that it was only a dream and I wasn't doing it at all.  Dreams need a save option in my opinion.

Watching Youtube videos to do with steam engines and I found this delight.  I'm certainly going to be checking out the rest of this chap's videos since they look to be a lot of fun.

The videos come highly recommended - It's small wonder that the gentleman's channel has grown from nothing to pretty big in less than a year.

I particularly recommend the Hunslet Austerity...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

One of those plucky Lawrence of Arabia/Greenmantle types in the Great War, I forget the name, had a bad go of tooth ache after the war in Paris.  He tried that trick.  And it worked.  Until he died of blood poisoning a few days later.  Mind you, that's Paris for you.

That's why doctors and dentists these days insist on getting any infection under control before pulling a tooth out.  Otherwise all you're doing is mainlining the infection straight into your bloodstream.  Fortunately I was well aware of this so that's why I phoned my doctor for antibiotics before even thinking of contacting the local dentist.

4 hours ago, sem34090 said:

The videos come highly recommended - It's small wonder that the gentleman's channel has grown from nothing to pretty big in less than a year.

I particularly recommend the Hunslet Austerity...

I accidentally found the Cockerill video Sem and looked further.  I agree that the Hunslet Austerity video is particularly good.  What I like about them is that it's not just some talking head going for a footplate ride, since Lawrie gives the whole driver's experience including any difficulties of oiling round and engine preparation before driving an engine.

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Oldest loco at the Middleton when I went there 3 years ago was a Cockerill of 1890.

2 hours ago, NeilHB said:

Now resident on the North York Moors and nearly ready to steam again: 

https://www.nymr.co.uk/lucie-type-iv-cockerill

That's good news.  They really are a fascinating little engine.

• Agree 1

I'm sure I saw 813 running on the East Somerset Railway back in 2007 or so. I recall it had a distinctive difference in one of the four exhaust beats climbing away from the halt at the far end of the line. It was good that the GWR decided to keep it a saddle tank and not go throwing in a Belpaire Firebox and the associated pannier tanks.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Annie said:

That's why doctors and dentists these days insist on getting any infection under control before pulling a tooth out.  Otherwise all you're doing is mainlining the infection straight into your bloodstream.  Fortunately I was well aware of this so that's why I phoned my doctor for antibiotics before even thinking of contacting the local dentist.

Oof... 

I accidentally found the Cockerill video Sem and looked further.  I agree that the Hunslet Austerity video is particularly good.  What I like about them is that it's not just some talking head going for a footplate ride, since Lawrie gives the whole driver's experience including any difficulties of oiling round and engine preparation before driving an engine.

Exactly! (Perhaps it was just my mind that interpreted some bits of the Austerity video in a different light...)

That's good news.  They really are a fascinating little engine.

I would rather like one... not sure how to justify it though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

not sure how to justify it though

It’s a hobby.

You don’t need to justify it at all.

You don’t even need to invoke “rule #1”.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Don't say that! 'Justification' is what forces me to not have too many unfinished projects and stops me spending money on a completely incoherent range of stock!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

In which case, you simply admit that whilst you can get more money and buy more things, you cannot get more time to build and play with them. Then you can decide whether you are a collector (earn more money and buy more things) or a modeller (buy tools and then spend time rather than money making things).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You should just say you’re an aesthetic hedonist who feels a need to surround yourself with beauty. It’s best carried off with a silk dressing gown than a black railway Mac.

Speaking from experience?

(And of which: the dressing gown or the Mac? ;)

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

You should just say you’re an aesthetic hedonist who feels a need to surround yourself with beauty. It’s best carried off with a silk dressing gown than a black railway Mac.

Rather that than an ascetic pedantist at any rate. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Hawthorn class 'Fenton' by Paul Lloyd.

XyfZ9j9.jpg

I'm doing Ok, still sleepy, but the swelling on my jaw has gone down a lot and no longer feels hot which is good.  I'm half way through my course of antibiotics so it's looking very much like the swelling should be gone by the time I've finished the course.  After that will be the joys of seeing the dentist, - I can hardly wait.  :(

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2019 at 00:14, Annie said:

Brunel viaducts between Chacewater and Truro:  Chacewater and Blackwater.  Newbridge is a very ordinary stone viaduct across a stream.  Chacewater seems to cross a fairly deep valley, though it's not all that long, - possibly only six piers, 99 yards long.  No pictures of the Brunel viaduct seem to exist and the 1906 OS map shows it gone and replaced by the masonry viaduct that's still there today.

Work is slowly proceeding at Chasewater.  The whole area is a terrible mess with the landscape very roughly sculpted and the worst bits hidden under various kinds of not very convincing cover ups.  On top of that it has all kinds of extra buildings, roads, trees and even a town as a result of the original builder using Goggle Earth as a guide to the landscape.  Much deleting has taken place which helped to cheer me up a lot, but at least I've now got something I can work with.  With only the old OS map to guide me and no photos to speak of I'm going to have to make a lot of guesses, but at least I do know that the landscape doesn't have much at all in the way of tree cover and that there's quite a few rough patches around abandoned mining sites.  

Chacewater station and yard is now laid out according to the OS map with placeholder buildings that aren't too far away from what is likely to have been there at the time.  The station building is too big, but at least it is a wooden building.  The signal box is stolen from Helston and the goods shed isn't quite right, but it is a Broad Gauge era wooden goods shed.  Sorry no pictures because I messed them up, but I'll try again later.

Next is Chasewater viaduct and the fun of turning a shallow depression in the ground into the fairly deep valley that should be there.  At least I've done this several times before on the Falmouth line so it should go Ok.  

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Annie said:

and even a town as a result of the original builder using Goggle Earth as a guide to the landscape

I got caught out in a similar way when I was modelling the East Kent Railway. I used DEM data and for the life of me couldn't get the track level right at Elvington Halt. Finally, when I took a week off and cycled around the area, I found out why. When Tilmanstone colliery closed, the spoil heaps were just bulldozed across the landscape raising it at least twenty feet up. The shuttle survey obviously got that new level.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/05/2020 at 12:13, Northroader said:

Or did I mean an asthmatic pederast in an orange wig?

Let us hope not.

8 hours ago, Annie said:

Hawthorn class 'Fenton' by Paul Lloyd.

XyfZ9j9.jpg

I'm doing Ok, still sleepy, but the swelling on my jaw has gone down a lot and no longer feels hot which is good.  I'm half way through my course of antibiotics so it's looking very much like the swelling should be gone by the time I've finished the course.  After that will be the joys of seeing the dentist, - I can hardly wait.  :(

What a wonderful rawing of a wonderful loco.

Mind you, the name Fenton now has baggage for me, as an owner of a number of wayward dogs, one always fears such a nightmare ...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

What a wonderful drawing of a wonderful loco.

The artist's webpage is here  https://greater-albion.com/

He seems to like railway subjects especially the GWR.

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Mind you, the name Fenton now has baggage for me, as an owner of a number of wayward dogs, one always fears such a nightmare ...

You have my sympathy James.  I've always been a cat person, but I don't have one now due to the risk of tripping over a cat who is being social towards their person.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Speaking of which...

AAFD79BC-1245-4374-89A0-43B7330F0017.png.3e27eb8b6cb1782a9e842ba20750f900.pngA wonderful piece by that artist, actually a digital painting! This locomotive and engine may seem familiar, because is the exact same as JUST that photograph. The wonderful and dare I say most elegant livery The Great Western Railway had is brought out very nicely here! It’s incredible how, being the 1890s, the last decade may have seen all this Broad Gauge(speaking of which, my project is on a temporary standstill! Been sorting through a online picture collection of mine). 
The tracks seem to be the familiar Broad Gauge tracks, converted to the narrow(:taunt:) gauge!

Speaking of cats too, I have a wonderful doggy, but a few years ago, there was this cat I used to see more often. I think it was a she and for some reason, she took a liking to me. She loved fuss and was just adorable! 
Since then(before this outbreak!) I’ve seen her closer to my home, from where I usually saw her.

(It was a black cat! :superstition: I don’t think of her as unlucky though ;))

Edited by Oscillation
  • Like 3

On 20/05/2020 at 17:31, AdamsRadial said:

I'm sure I saw 813 running on the East Somerset Railway back in 2007 or so. I recall it had a distinctive difference in one of the four exhaust beats climbing away from the halt at the far end of the line. It was good that the GWR decided to keep it a saddle tank and not go throwing in a Belpaire Firebox and the associated pannier tanks.

813 was hired in to help with Santa Specials on the K&ESR a couple of years ago... Reminded me of No 8 Hesperus of the old K&ESR, a MW 0-6-0ST which in its previous career had been heavily Great Westernised - 

Ex-GWR 0-6-0ST No 813 at Tenterden Town, K&ESR

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

813 was hired in to help with Santa Specials on the K&ESR a couple of years ago... Reminded me of No 8 Hesperus of the old K&ESR, a MW 0-6-0ST which in its previous career had been heavily Great Westernised - 

Ex-GWR 0-6-0ST No 813 at Tenterden Town, K&ESR

Hesperus. (Photos Colonel Stephens Society)

jpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=420%2B254&

jpeg&ignoreAspectRatio&resize=800%2B573&

Edited by Annie
added picture
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1