Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

Caley 439 Class on the Leadhills branch.  This layout was built up by a creator who had connections to the area and he used DEM data (mysterious process using satellite mapping) to create the landscape so landscape contours and distances are reasonably close to being correct.  Originally built for the post-grouping era I've rolled it back to sometime after WW1, but before 1924.

Caley blue is definitely something new for me, but sometimes a change can be a good thing.

AfnOgqi.jpg

6exbc9a.jpg

Ke1OIEk.jpg

y0JoCia.jpg

bLKEtn5.jpg

• Like 8

I like Caledonian blue. :sungum: (& I don't like olive green; must have something to do with my time in the army a long time ago. :mosking: )

Is this the 439 by Darlington Works?

Ordering locos is more complicated than I expected. The L&Y 0-6-0 3F is available in 3 versions: 'round', 'belpaire' & 'modified'; I guess, this means round firebox (class 27), Belpaire firebox (class 28) & superheated (class 27). As usual, I couldn't make up my mind, which one I want, so I decided to order all 3 for the price of 2.

& then he asks for the loco numbers... :scratch_one-s_head_mini: Wikipedia gives the number of the 1st example of every class & how many there were, but if the numbers were consecutive or chaotic (like in the LNWR) remains unclear. If I suppose consecutive numbers, then 142, 657 & 463 might be OK; & 534 for the 0-6-0ST 2F.

AI drivers never fail to amaze me with their stupidity. (If they could speak, maybe they would say the same about me, but fortunately they can't. :mosking: )

Tonight they produced this marvellous disaster at Rivendell, & I have no idea, how this could come about.:unknw_mini:(Sorry, no cat in this screenshot - it must have run away from the noise. :D )

capture_20200827_000606_003.jpg.31fe409bec0bdb35d097750316db5776.jpg

Edited by Jake The Rat

• RMweb Premium

Oops!  The capacity for human stupidity is supposed to be infinite, but I sometimes think the Trainz AI has a capacity for stupidity that is far beyond that.

Yes the 429 is by Darlington Works Jake.  I already owned two lined BR examples which are used on my early BR layout Middlevales, but I purchased the Caley blue one especially for the Leadhills branch since one of these engines was in sole charge of the branch.  It's a really nice engines too as all those made by Cameron Scott are.

All my L&Y Class 27s 0-6-0s are the round firebox version.  I have two in BR grime livery on Middlevales and the one in L&Y livery.  Paul is very good about custom numbering and special requests.  I have one of his ex-LNWR Claughtons running about on Middlevales with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' on the tender; - and yes I do know that the last Claughton never received it's BR number and was ruthlessly scrapped.  Sometimes I just like to be ornery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Working on L&YR wagons at the moment.  I borrowed Moxbury's goods yard to take the snaps.

Trainz has no L&Y goods wagons to speak of except for the 20 ton wagon with texture faults I made around a year ago (blush) so I thought I do something about it.

yg66pmh.jpg

This 20 ton coal wagon is the replacement for the faulty one.  It's only representational and vaguely like the prototype, but it's better than nuffing. 

XTT0zqK.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

More L&Y.  Running trains on my friend's layout using the steam controls.  Much fettling of these old Class 23 saddle tanks has been going on and I've got them just about right now.  They're sulky grumpy old things though and a lot of fun to drive.

XX74EbF.jpg

pC52Vjz.jpg

E0IjRTB.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Annie said:

Working on L&YR wagons at the moment.  I borrowed Moxbury's goods yard to take the snaps.

Trainz has no L&Y goods wagons to speak of except for the 20 ton wagon with texture faults I made around a year ago (blush) so I thought I do something about it.

yg66pmh.jpg

The pre-1903 livery with the triangle-in-circle mark was unpainted wood (varnished for some vans) with black ironwork. There would, I think, be a difference in the appearance of the solebars, headstock, siderail and end pillars (oak) and the body planks (pine). 

Just throwing down the gauntlet...

There was a brief transitional period when some wagons were grey with the triangle-in-circle mark.

Ref. N. Coates, Lancashire & Yorkshire Wagons (Wild Swan, 2 vols.).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The pre-1903 livery with the triangle-in-circle mark was unpainted wood (varnished for some vans) with black ironwork. There would, I think, be a difference in the appearance of the solebars, headstock, siderail and end pillars (oak) and the body planks (pine). 

Just throwing down the gauntlet...

There was a brief transitional period when some wagons were grey with the triangle-in-circle mark.

Ref. N. Coates, Lancashire & Yorkshire Wagons (Wild Swan, 2 vols.).

It's a rough representation of this wagon from the L&Y Society website Stephen.

Dia_16_web_version1.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Another project.  Making a basic representational Diagram 21 L&Y brake van.  The aim is to use what is readily available in Trainz without going to heroic extremes; - so the underframe for starters isn't correct, but nothing else suitable is available.  The texturing is only a placeholder by the way and I'll be drawing up something proper once the body mesh is finalised.

I'm working with a member of the creator group who lives in Canada and while he's good at using blender he has difficulty with understanding detailed general arrangement drawings.  So what I've been doing is finding the necessary measurements from the brake van drawing and emailing them to him and after a while he sends me the 3D mesh with the message, 'Try this and tell me what you think'.

It's definitely a different way to end up with a digital model as compared to models I've commissioned from Cameron Scott ( See GWR covered van and brake van above ), but it's cheap and cheerful and most Trainz folk should be happy with the final result.

a8Zj7TX.jpg

IvWkZRz.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure you already know that the lamp is at the same end on both sides - in other words they're opposite each other. It was pointed out to me by @Spitfire2865 that all known photos are of the same side. That was after I'd put the lamp on the left of the door on both sides. I've still not got round to correcting the mistake!

240835001_LYD2110tonbrakevanpaintedandlettered.JPG.cc8966083f2c3cd8ccd1bf96b84d9ec2.JPG

Edited by Compound2632
map? lamp. Incipient dislexia.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for pointing that out Stephen.  Apparently it's possible to fit illuminated lamps to this brake van model so I'll have to make sure the attachment points are in the right places when John gives me the final version of the van body mesh.

Nice brake van model by the way.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Thanks 1

On 29/08/2020 at 05:34, Annie said:

yg66pmh.jpg

This 20 ton coal wagon is the replacement for the faulty one.  It's only representational and vaguely like the prototype, but it's better than nuffing. 

XTT0zqK.jpg

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself as this has much better planking detail than on the old MAJ model of this wagon !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, CKPR said:

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself as this has much better planking detail than on the old MAJ model of this wagon !

Thanks CKPR.  Sometimes when I'm having not very good days with this illness I've got I end up thinking what I'm doing is rubbish and isn't much good so It's always good to get feedback to tell me that I'm being daft and there's nothing much wrong with my texture work.

Anyway I had some fun today running trains around on my Trainz Model Railway format Broad Gauge layout which was a good cheer up.

mGdQRRh.jpg

i01GCjp.jpg

FpVvSK5.jpg

YwC2WkQ.jpg

OOG3Vlk.jpg

bIQG1TJ.jpg

Edited by Annie
added picture
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Annie said:

Sometimes when I'm having not very good days with this illness I've got I end up thinking what I'm doing is rubbish and isn't much good so It's always good to get feedback to tell me that I'm being daft and there's nothing much wrong with my texture work.

The “finescale attitude” obviously applies to computer modelling as much as it does to building physical representations!

Good to know and see!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Regularity said:

The “finescale attitude” obviously applies to computer modelling as much as it does to building physical representations!

Good to know and see!

Because I can't make 3D meshes I have to use what others make available to me, but despite that I try to capture the essential qualities of the prototype with the reskin textures I make.  Most of the lettering on my models are hand drawn to match the prototype because modern fonts always look wrong on pre-grouping models.

So yes I do my best to have a finescale attitude even though I have to make compromises due to the 3D meshes not being correct for what I am attempting to represent.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Testing on the Minehead branch in TS2019.  I don't have an Armstrong 0-6-0 yet so the old Hicks had to do the honours.

(I really do need to get back to this layout, - there's a lot on it that still needs doing)

PBHguzr.jpg

ufmkLVN.jpg

• Like 8

Annie, what wonderful wagons those are! Might they ever become publicly available? I appreciate that the modelling isn't your own, but you're very much responsible for bringing them into being and credit is due :) Are you happy with them?

Great stuff, as ever, very much looking forward to the next updates.

Schooner 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The new GWR wagons will be available soon from Darlington Works Schooner.  https://darlington-works.weebly.com/

I've asked Cameron Scott to make them available from the freeware section of his website since one of the reasons behind me commissioning the wagons was to make more pre-1904 GWR rolling stock available in Trainz.

And yes I am happy with the new wagons and vans. It was a bit of a business and a half getting all the necessary information together since Cameron hadn't made any GWR goods wagons before and certainly not anything so early.  BUT we got there in the end.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't shown a proper picture of the brake van because it had a texture issue that needed fixing, but that's done now.  I have wanted an outside framed GWR brake van for sooooooooooo long and now at last I have one.

rJYL3Yh.jpg

Edited by Annie
words
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

One of the member of the creator group has made a model of the ex-Devon and Somerset Railway wooden engine shed at Barnstaple for his very large L&B project and I was given permission to reskin it for the Broad Gauge era.  The engine shed at Truro was similar and I also needed an engine shed for 'Lynborough' so all in all it was fruitful exercise.

5EL7YuJ.jpg

4aIC4wX.jpg

• Like 8