Hornby 2721 Pannier running problems

I have a Hornby 2721 (open cab) pannier tank and when placed on the track it seems to "pivot" on the centre wheels. These are fitted with traction tyres and so in effect is only ever picking up on a single pair of wheels. Needless to say it runs like a dog. I've had to base plate of and wheels out and cannot figure out why on earth it should be like this on re-assembly.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom??

Gee Vee

• RMweb Gold

Nothing that may help with the running of this particular chassis, but I managed to pick up a newer 0-6-0 chassis without traction tyres and with pickup on all wheels for under 20 pounds from an ebay seller. This replaced the much older chassis in my ancient 2721 and is a very acceptable runner. The body needed only very slight modification.

There should be a spring or springs acting on the rear axle with sufficient force to keep these in contact with the rail at all times and prevent the pivotting action you have noticed. But there is a balancing act here, too much spring force takes so much weight off the traction tyred axle that the loco (while now getting better electrical pick up) will not pull much of a load.

Honest advice? This is a very cheap train set chassis, and cannot be much improved. If modelling is your interest, there is much better available in RTR, and still further refinement available if you care to build kits.

I have a Hornby 2721 (open cab) pannier tank and when placed on the track it seems to "pivot" on the centre wheels. These are fitted with traction tyres and so in effect is only ever picking up on a single pair of wheels. Needless to say it runs like a dog. I've had to base plate of and wheels out and cannot figure out why on earth it should be like this on re-assembly.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom??

Gee Vee

Are there two small springs (part No. X8114) located at the rear of the chassis that help keep one set of wheels on the track ?

If the springs are compressed or missing, that could be the cause of your problem.

Hornby service sheet 201

K9-70

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all- I'm a newbie to this forum & railway modelling but have just read your post and had exactly the same problem. Even when running at speed mine stopped dead on points. Tried replacing traction tyres with no effect whatsoever & then tried removing traction tyres completely against advice from local model shop etc. It now works well even at slow speeds & will pull up to 18 wagons comfortably on my layout but I don't have any gradients to cope with. It has occasionally stuttered on curved radius points but more often than will work on these as well. I've found it to be a better runner than my 08 shunter & Jinty! Perhaps this is beginners luck but it may be worth trying.

Thanks Chaps.

It was clear that it was the compression springs that were missing. So a call to East Kent Models on Friday followed by posting of an SAE enclosing stamps to the value of £1 resulted in arrival of said springs by Monday! It now runs fine!

Thanks to East Kent models and for the excellent advice from you guys.

That was a division project for my nephew. I'm now back in my comfort zone - building a brass chassis in EM for a 45xx prairie tank.)))

• 2 years later...

I have the same class of loco, but mine came as part of my first train set (Hornby R1077 GWR Western Pullman DCC) and it runs faultlessly, even after 5 years of me owning it :) Requires little or no maintenance. 

With your loco however, maybe the axle is bent? Perhaps you just got a dud? I suggest taking it back to the shop and asking for a replacement chassis or new loco.

Hope I helped :D

I have a DCC Jinty with the same sprung rear axle system and it picks up Ok on all 3 axles, but when running tends to 'bounce' up and down at the rear (sprung end).  I was wondering if I should try to either strengthen the springs (by inserting a small packing piece) or weaken them (by cutting off a small section of the springs).  Has anyone else seem the same problem and managed to sort it out?

Cheers, Simon

Archived