RMweb

Fall apart far-eastern electronics.

These days we take calculators for granted but they were quite a revolutionary innovation. These days the number crunching capabilities of computers allows us to do things that were in the realms of sci-fi not that long ago.

Imagine though trying to explain to Turing or Babbage that we now all have access to supercomputers that can make more calculations by orders of magnitude than all the mathematicians in the world in their time. So are the majority of us doing incredible things in science, mapping the heavens and gaining unprecented insights into life the universe and everything?  No, most of us are using all that computing power to send each other pictures of cute cats!

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

I have a radio connected time piece which which also acts as a calculator, basic camera, internet browser, shop... I can also make and receive phone calls on it.

Doesn't fit on my wrist though, I have to keep it in my pocket.

It still has that neat and easy wearability aspect to get sorted doesn't it? When a generally hands free device, that may be 'naturally worn' like a watch or spectacles is fully realised, I think I might be persuaded to have one

I had one of them, I kept breaking the straps on them, so gave up as they cost more than a new one.

The biggest problem was the TC50/500's touch-sensitive screen. The merest scratch of the glass could render the calculator function useless. Spare screens, on the rare occasions that they turn up as NOS, cost almost as much as the watch is supposedly worth...

• RMweb Gold

Some years back, I rescued a 30-inch vernier from the skips in work. Test measurement. just fine.

A little later, we needed a extremely fine measurement between 2 rollers. Out came the big vernier, to gasps of "hells teeth, where did you buy (Buy?) that"? "Oh, it's just one of the toys I have from time to time...." Next question (and, from a graduate engineer) "How do you read it?"

Finally, my multi-meter cost 1 penny to buy. The transport cost £6.99. Still works a treat.

Ian.

Still using a Casio fx-85v every time I need the use of a calculator. It was new in 1990 when I started secondary school, and still has teeth marks on the case where the bored far younger version of me used to chew on it in maths classes.

I still have my FX85. Bought in 1984 I think (about a week or 2 before O level maths). Missing the battery cover though (might be around somewhere but no idea where).

Katy

• Like 1

...Working 1950's dishwasher. ... Me...

Like it. The wife and I are very pleased at never having purchased a vacuum cleaner. I used an inherited carpet sweeper while single (truth be told, the use was notional, it might have happened once in a while) and she brought to the marriage her late maternal grandparent's 1955 model Electrolux cylinder, an utterly magnificent beast that still lifts carpets off the floor. I replaced the motor brushes about ten years past (while Lydons were stil trading in St Albans) so reckoning on another fifty years from the new set it should see us out...

I would still be using the ancient electric soldering iron my Pa gave me in my childhood, were it not for the weird rubbery stuff the handle and wiring insulation was made from having gone somewhat conductive, leading to a tingling sensation. Apparently a known effect of the action of flux fumes over many years. I disposed of it - safely made inoperable -  and now rather regret having done so.