The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Fall apart far-eastern electronics.

34theletterbetweenB&D

Unbelievable, my Pa's Casio fx-1000 what I bought quite recently for at least thirty notes for his 50th birthday gift (thus I reckon 1977) has just had the keypad surround fall off. What a rip!

But seriously, I would never have expected this neat shirt pocket sized item to have lasted this long, and still in perfect working order. He used it constantly when in health up to late 2015, for accounts and his electronics hobby: the latter the reason why the plastic casing is fairly generously scarred with soldering iron contact and little blobs of melted in solder. It's neat size has seen it displace my own larger fx-110, an even earlier purchase, still working perfectly despite once falling into a river with me.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Whilst not very old in the grand scale of things, I use a ten quid clam-shell style mobile.  No camera, no internet, no fancy screen.  Phone calls - yes. Texts - yes. Alarm Clock - yes.  One game.  Battery lasts the best part of two weeks.  Drop it - it still works.  Been thru' a 60 degree wash (I wondered what the clunking sound was....) and after a dry out has suffered no ill effects.  Try that with a four hundred quid jobbie.

• Like 2

Still using a Casio fx-85v every time I need the use of a calculator. It was new in 1990 when I started secondary school, and still has teeth marks on the case where the bored far younger version of me used to chew on it in maths classes.

• Like 1

I had a Casio scientific calculator that lasted 20 years (bought in 85 when I got sick of buying batteries for my previous Texas Instruments LED one) and only fell out of use because the battery went flat and I couldn't be bothered to replace it because I'd "inherited" a working Brother one, of apparently similar vintage, that I found in a disused desk at work. I didn't like the Brother's logic much though. I've still got both of them should I ever feel the urge to use something other than my phone's calculator app.

Whilst not very old in the grand scale of things, I use a ten quid clam-shell style mobile. No camera, no internet, no fancy screen. Phone calls - yes. Texts - yes. Alarm Clock - yes. One game. Battery lasts the best part of two weeks. Drop it - it still works. Been thru' a 60 degree wash (I wondered what the clunking sound was....) and after a dry out has suffered no ill effects. Try that with a four hundred quid jobbie.

£400 isn't even the expensive end of the market these days.

You won't get much more than a fish and chip dinner with the change from £1000 if you buy the latest iPhone. And the latest top of the range androids are not much less.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You won't get much more than a fish and chip dinner with the change from £1000 if you buy the latest iPhone. And the latest top of the range androids are not much less.

I can buy a lot of pigeons for that sort of money.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

Jeez...you can buy a car for that.....

Jeez...you can buy a car for that.....

But it won't be a car that automatically links to your whizzy  I-phodroid, and then sends garbled text to everyone in your contacts list, without the in-car vocalist being aware of it. One of the early efforts was quite funny, a spirited rendition of that well known ballad 'Her art herpes, sneeze knock be other', but the joke soon outlived its welcome.

• RMweb Premium

These days we take calculators for granted but they were quite a revolutionary innovation. These days the number crunching capabilities of computers allows us to do things that were in the realms of sci-fi not that long ago.

My Sharp scientific calculator from about 1981 remains alive and well some 37 years later. It gets used often, but not every day.

We should not expect modern electronics to last nearly as long. Semiconductors are subject to 'ageing effects' that will change electron mobility over time and smaller geometries will likely make them more short-lived.

• RMweb Premium

Watches must be one of the better examples of how perceived value can be completely divorced from product performance. An inexpensive electronic watch with radio time reception and solar or kinetic charging will be vastly more accurate and superior in just about every way than hideously expensive Swiss chronometers yet people still want the expensive stuff. I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional moon watch which was a very expensive indulgence but my modest Casio G Shock is a far better watch.

I have a radio connected time piece which which also acts as a calculator, basic camera, internet browser, shop... I can also make and receive phone calls on it.

Doesn't fit on my wrist though, I have to keep it in my pocket.

• RMweb Gold

I have a radio connected time piece which which also acts as a calculator, basic camera, internet browser, shop... I can also make and receive phone calls on it.

Doesn't fit on my wrist though, I have to keep it in my pocket.

But you can get an interface to operate it which fits on your wrist!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

These days we take calculators for granted but they were quite a revolutionary innovation. These days the number crunching capabilities of computers allows us to do things that were in the realms of sci-fi not that long ago.

A former work colleague told me of his friend, who when calculators first came out, purchased a kit from the USA. It cost $US400 back in about 1970. Serious money indeed, back then. Assembled OK and only did the 4 basic functions.

My first calculator was purchased about 1976 and was the first of the cheap ones. This one in fact

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-sheen-calculator/183097084055?hash=item2aa16fc897:g:IRAAAOSwUwFaSOx7

From memory it cost about $AU30 and I only stopped using it, because of the short battery life. Not sure what happened to it.