RMweb

Large pre TOPS double arrow

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone point me to transfers to create pre TOPS blue 47and 37 with the larger double arrows on all four cab sides. Preferably ones that are easy to fit!

Cheers

Russ

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ

Service from Steve at Railtec is excellent - just had some number sets from him

Fox transfers do have these arrows as standard - They are on sheet F4300

Fox do TOPs numbers - individual digits - but replaced them with Railtec number sets on D1955 - Steve prints you whatever number you want to order. There are two styles of the TOPs era numbers - Railtec are the correct plumper version for D1955,which we have done  as per

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0326020256000

Hope that helps

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

And have just edited post above to include D6992 - you can see why Steve now prints the number sets for me - much better than individual digits. But the 37 police will be after me now for not lowering that loco body!

Bacchy 47148 is your starter for D1725 - 3 piece fixed rad grilles and Spanner boiler port , VB only loco in that condition

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

And have just edited post above to include D6992 - you can see why Steve now prints the number sets for me - much better than individual digits. But the 37 police will be after me now for not lowering that loco body!

Bacchy 47148 is your starter for D1725 - 3 piece fixed rad grilles and Spanner boiler port , VB only loco in that condition

Phil

Or is it raising the bogie side frames?

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Does hedo the larger double arrow?

47148 is my doner loco

There is a split box 37 that had the four arrow treatment which I want to model, think it's 6753

• RMweb Gold

if I am reading what Steve said above correctly the large arrow is not a current Railtec stock item....all the ones we have used have come from the Fox F4300 sheet. No doubt Steve would do the larger one for you but experience suggests that non stock items will take longer .

As you say D6753 was a recipient of the early blue with 4 large arrows on cabside - see https://www.flickr.com/photos/67418519@N00/galleries/72157682394820702/?rb=1 - but not many other split boxers, rather more from the centre headcode batch.

As for lowering body/raising sideframes - just a quick dab of black over those conspicuous pick up wipers would serve to disguise my dilatory attention to this vital matter....

As for D1725 - I remember first copping her through Worcester one lunch time late 67 with Standard 4 4-6-0s 75002 75006 75013 and 9F 92138 in tow en route for scrap from Crewe and Stoke to Birds at Long Marston. According to the book "Life on the Lickey" the 3 Standard 4s were being towed by D342 down the Lickey but there was something of a run away - suspect the 40 was subsequently failed, the 3 locos dumped in the vicinity of Bromsgrove and then picked up when D1725 came along with 92138. Somewhat conjecture but based on what I know in records and own observations

Phil

• Like 1

Does hedo the larger double arrow?

47148 is my doner loco

There is a split box 37 that had the four arrow treatment which I want to model, think it's 6753

Hi Russ, I could do very easily. This may open a can of worms but exactly what was the difference in size between that and standard BR arrow? Obviously I already have the artwork so enlarging or shrinking is a 10 second job (once I know what it needs to be). What I'd likely do is simply offer the larger pre-TOPS arrows as a stock item, meaning that you could just:

- Buy a sheet of those (they'd probably be £3.50 for a sheet meaning you'd have plenty to do other locos)

- Buy as many as you need of Railtec's custom loco "packs", which isn't really a pack but simply an offering on the web site which allows you to get exactly what you need:

4mm-9990: Renumber 1 x pre-TOPS loco with your choice of number:

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3186

As Phil kindly points out, the benefit here is that you are spared the laborious method of having to cut out and line up individual numbers, and the end result often looks significantly better.

Edited by railtec-models

That would be great Steve, once you have the arrows if you could post on here and I'll order two sets of four numbers, fantastic

If someone could confirm what is the exact difference in size between the pre-TOPS and TOPS double arrows then I'll get the pack made.

• RMweb Gold

If someone could confirm what is the exact difference in size between the pre-TOPS and TOPS double arrows then I'll get the pack made.

Is it possible to scale it from the picture of 6753 in Phil's link?

We haven't got any spare 37s at work tomorrow for me to measure

The larger arrows are 2ft 6in across, as opposed to 2ft which became the standard size, with the height being larger in proportion. I think the two coexisted with the larger size falling out of use around the mid 70s.

• RMweb Gold

So in 4mm I measure the standard Tops Arrows as 8.5mm - then there are 10mm and 12mm . Its the 12mm ones on D6992 which looks right to me - and the 10mm on D1725

Hope that helps!

Phil