CRT kits GWR milk tanks and Bulleid coaches Any good

steve fay

Well as the topic says are these any good? My only experience with CRT is the RTR 15xx I bought off them 10 years ago and that was absolute rubbish!

As far as I know the locos are completely different to there rolling stock and looking at the stand at shows the coaches do look good.

I’d like to build up a milk train and they do a nice variety of GW milk tanks. I’d also like a few bullied coaches and with the recent demise of JLTRT who had planned on doing some I don’t think there’s any other kits available.

Edited by steve fay

Well, I hope they are good since I have a Thompson 6 wheeled brake on order.  This is to be part of my milk train too, but I cheated and bought a pair of Dapol tanks.  There isn't time to spend on making everything from kits.  These are only half decent but a good starting point.  I will create a thread when I start the build.

John

They are offering the milk tanks at £120 RTR which I think is a good price. Plus they have lots of variety to choose from, I’d rather let some one else build the stock and I’ll focus on the layouts!

Edited by steve fay

I built a CRT milk tank years ago, still looks good to me, I don’t recall any particular issues, certainly easier than the Slater’s one

Slater’s milk tanks are very detailed & rather fiddly

Best

Simon

I have built their Southern gangwayed bogie luggage van, and I must say I enjoyed the build which is nearly all brass construction. There were loads of parts so it's not a quick build, but it still looks the part to my eyes.

There is a couple of photos of it in my gallery if you want to see it.

Martyn.

PS. An RSU is a god send with the smaller parts.

Edited by 3 link

Dapol tanks are half the price but require the addition of brake gear at least.  I am told that Dapol tanks are sort of LMSish.  Do CRT kits include underframe brake gear?  Some kit makers take a pass on underframe detail using the excuse that it can't be seen - I suggest that it can.

John

Well, I hope they are good since I have a Thompson 6 wheeled brake on order.  This is to be part of my milk train too, but I cheated and bought a pair of Dapol tanks.  There isn't time to spend on making everything from kits.  These are only half decent but a good starting point.  I will create a thread when I start the build.

John

It is along time since I built the Thompson 6w full brake but I don't remember having any problems with it (unlike the StoveR!).  The kit was previously with Wagon & Carriage Works.

Ray.

• Like 1

Adrian Swain published a detailed list of criticism of the Dapol tanks on here a couple of years back. He received horrendous abuse for doing so, which was quite bizarre, after all, he is a small trader who has been swamped by superficially attractive RTR, and his criticism was objective and well founded in his extensive prototype knowledge.

It’s a shame that Dapol didn’t choose one prototype, make it as close to the real thing as may be, and then paint it in whatever extra liveries they think will sell well, it would then have been at least right for some of us.

You can read the whole story here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62781-o-gauge-milk-tankers/?hl=%2Bdapol+%2Bmilk+%2Btank&do=findComment&comment=812431

Best

Simon

I think Dapol missed a trick with the milk tank which is a pity as Milk tanks do seem popular, what I would Like is a nice variety of GW milk tanks plus the usual full brake All In early 60’s filth

Simon

If You could post a pic of your CRT along side a slaters Id be very great full.

Edited by steve fay

I'm halfway through one of their horsebox kits, that I've had to put away due to other commitments.

The kit is well thought out and it goes together very well. A little bit of modding, but other than that I thought that it was well produced and lots of very little bits of strapping to add.

I do agree that Dapol missed a good opportunity with their milk tanker, they could of produced a better example instead of a mongrel! (No offence to mongrel dogs intended!)

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

The tanks and PO wagons were developed prior to the merger with Lionheart, (I am told).  It is a very good thing that this happened because the PO wagons aren't great.  I bought one but had to essentially replace the underframe (using Bill Bedford parts) to bring it up to my standards.  Since the merger, Dapol RTR wagons have been superb.

John

• RMweb Premium

Adrian Swain published a detailed list of criticism of the Dapol tanks on here a couple of years back. He received horrendous abuse for doing so, which was quite bizarre, after all, he is a small trader who has been swamped by superficially attractive RTR, and his criticism was objective and well founded in his extensive prototype knowledge.

It’s a shame that Dapol didn’t choose one prototype, make it as close to the real thing as may be, and then paint it in whatever extra liveries they think will sell well, it would then have been at least right for some of us.

You can read the whole story here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62781-o-gauge-milk-tankers/?hl=%2Bdapol+%2Bmilk+%2Btank&do=findComment&comment=812431

Best

Simon

I think what Adrian had to say on the milk tank (and many other RTR releases) was worthwhile, it was the manner, tone and frequency of his comments that lost him friends on here and subsequently other forums.

Following the demise of JLTRT, I'd also be interested in opinions on the CRT Bulleid (not Bullied!) coaches as I have a D2406 loose BCK on the Pencarrow hit list.

I don’t disagree that he was a bit strident (and could certainly be repetitive at times) but the tone of the abuse he (and in one case, I) received was not justified. And there were some horrid comments when he became ill.

Sadly there are some not-very-nice people about.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I don’t disagree that he was a bit strident (and could certainly be repetitive at times) but the tone of the abuse he (and in one case, I) received was not justified. And there were some horrid comments when he became ill.

Sadly there are some not-very-nice people about.

Best

Simon

I do like "strident"!

Unfortunately on many of these polarised threads folk get embedded in their views, fail to see any merit in what others are saying and then the heat gets turned up along with the language and abusive behaviour. Whether people agree on model trains issues or not, there's no excuse for abuse directed at somebody that's ill.

Thank you for sharing the photographs Brain, much appreciated.

It is one piece of rolling stock I particularly like but I don't believe it would fit into my timeframe for what I'm trying to model - mid '20s GWR.

Grahame

And with flash...

post-20369-0-73144800-1520794899_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-82072100-1520794928_thumb.jpeg

I built the CRT (red) one, bought the other one from someone who built it for a magazine article, can’t remember his name unfortunately, it was about 16 years ago! It had the dreaded lead-balls-and-PVA problem, pushed the end off the tank, I was able to get the grot out, and re-stick it, happily none the worse for it.

Grahame,

I checked Tourett, no help, Wikipedia says the six wheelers were introduced in 1931.

Sorry about that, but think of the money you’ve saved... :)

Simon

• Like 1

Aaaaagh ! 

Nice one Simon, I did look back at the history books but to be honest I'm happy with the open Siphon and milk churns, hey ho !

Grahame