Heljan class 86

PM47079

Does anyone know if it’s possible to obtain replacement pantograph for the 86 or is there a better scale version out there that could be made to fit?

IIRC Judith Edge do pantographs that would be suitable for an 86? (AC locos are outside of my area of knowledge really).

There is a strong possibility that Hornby could retool their 86 if the 87 sells well enough (a few of their people at shows have hinted at this). Whether they will of course will depend on a number of factors, not least of which their financial issues over the last few years.

The 86 body was terrible, the chassis was excellent however. I have a couple under Hornby bodies and are some of the best running engines I have. Its a shame there weren't any chassis knocking around when Olivias bought all Heljans spares as I have had a few more! Hoping Hornbys 87 chassis becomes a spare

• Like 1

Does anyone know if it’s possible to obtain replacement pantograph for the 86 or is there a better scale version out there that could be made to fit?

You could try a Bachmann Class 85 panto. I got one as a spare from Bachmann; it was £17 posted but it does not have the cross on the top arms and it didn't come with the base and insulators so I thought it was a bit of a rip. You could maybe modify the HJ base.

Judith Edge don't do a Faively pan yet but have one planned.

• RMweb Premium

There is a strong possibility that Hornby could retool their 86 if the 87 sells well enough (a few of their people at shows have hinted at this). Whether they will of course will depend on a number of factors, not least of which their financial issues over the last few years.

Would be good, they could do a accurate version of 86101,102 or 103 seeing as they are 87’s in a 86 body.

Agreed. There's no pointing having a model with a whole list of features/details when those features/details aren't replicated properly. So much effort went into something so poor and it was such a missed opportunity.

The only reason to bother would be if the price was just too good and the chassis was a good runner i'd imagine. Often it is easier to buy a whole loco/unit and sell on the bits you don't need than try to get a 'spare'.

The only reason to bother would be if the price was just too good and the chassis was a good runner i'd imagine. Often it is easier to buy a whole loco/unit and sell on the bits you don't need than try to get a 'spare'.

If you don't want to wait an eternity for a "cheap" 86, Heljans very own Hymek has the next closest wheelbase to the class 86

NL

• Like 1

Some of the prices routinely being achieved by eBay sales of Heljan 86s suggests to me that the locos are not seen as being so awful as some think.  I notice certain liveries do seem to attract a premium, Intercity being one (although I think the £225 being asked for this one is a bit heroic, mind you I've seen them go for £175 and thereabouts quite often) whilst Anglia seem to be less popular.  Nevertheless, as the nearest thing to a pure free market we have, the prices on eBay do seem to indicate some latent demand is still there.

im sure now we have new classes 85 with 87,90 and 92 on the way shortly that somebody whoever that might be is planning an 86.  

The fleet numbers alone must dictate that its a no brainer now that AC locos are coming to the fore in terms of detailed up to date 00 models then youhave the various sub-classes and the myriad livery and one -off specials.  

Always fancied one of the rainhill trials 86s, an 86/2 or even an 86/4 !   If I had the resources I would commission the model myself ......

• Like 3

For me the must have would be an AL6 in original blue with white cab roof and small yellow bib.  Many fond memories of seeing them in this livery when very young as they rushed past the village where I grew up pulling mixed maroon and blue/grey rakes of Mk1 or early Mk2 coaches.

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else; from the BRM interview with Ben Jones...

"One model we are looking at again is the Class 86. The original version wasn't perfect, so we're addressing areas such as the pantograph and some of the body details and backdating it to produce an original 'AL6' or Class 86/0 for the 1960's to early-1980s period".

No indication of timescale, but encouraging news.

• Like 6

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else; from the BRM interview with Ben Jones...

"One model we are looking at again is the Class 86. The original version wasn't perfect, so we're addressing areas such as the pantograph and some of the body details and backdating it to produce an original 'AL6' or Class 86/0 for the 1960's to early-1980s period".

This is extremely encouraging news, hopefully this has been Ben's influence?

If Ben is the man behind it, I personally feel that the Class 86 has some scope for improvement. However his comments do worry me, all he has mentioned was that the "PANTOGRAPH AND SOME OF THE BODY DETAILS" are being addressed. This really worries me because basically the entire body needs a re-tool, if the basic things like the details, windows and relief of the body isn't attended to, there's no point in Heljan spending money. And I will not spend any money if all the details aren't ironed out. It baffles me as to how the CAD work for the first batches were ever signed off and accepted as they were a disaster.

I also hope that the so called rumours of a Class 86 in the pipeline was actually this model and now I do hope that no one else does it as two manufacturers doing this could mean trouble.

Because of Heljan's track record I am a bit skeptical, but I hope they can prove me wrong. I think it will make more sense for Heljan to actually re-tool the entire body that just try to address a few things.

Here's to a better Class 86...

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Some of the prices routinely being achieved by eBay sales of Heljan 86s suggests to me that the locos are not seen as being so awful as some think...

Quite so, to put it simply they are not monochromatically 'awful'. The perception will be dependent on the priorities of the purchaser.

For someone who's priority is operation, they are the best 86 ever produced, because no previous model has had a drive of the quality that Heljan's mechanism design routinely produces. Defects in appearance can be worked on if they sufficiently offend.

This announcement may have the unintended result of flushing out whether Hornby are developing an 86. They have done early announcements before where a rival announces a product that they are also developing. The last time IIRC was the Hattons King announcement.

Defects in appearance can be worked on if they sufficiently offend.

In the case of Heljan's original 86, I disagree.

Some body inaccuracies can be re-engineered. Detail can be added.

My issue with Heljan's original 86 was that the fronts were the wrong shape. I cannot remember exactly what but it was enough to make it look wrong & I could not work out how to fix it.

My reaction was to not buy any.

I will be very pleased if they can go back to photos & drawings to correct this. If the re-release looks good to me, then I will buy some.

If this news is true then bring them on, and if Hornby are doing a follow on 86 from and 87 then so be it, there were 100 of the things built after all, we can decide whose model is best, or split purchase as appropriate. 

This year's Warley might just get a bit more interesting by the sounds of things, I might even be persuaded to have a drive over if the weather plays ball.

Wow, I hope this is true. The chassis was great, and the body was sort of 85% there.

One thing I do hope they get right this time, is much better definition to the grilles, and the gutters surrounding them. In this respect, the old Hornby offering beats the Heljan hands down.

If they're serious about an 'as-delivered' AL6 then I hope they use the correct shade of blue, rather than the version we're supposed to believe ! Heljan folks, if you're reading this they were built in Rail/Monastral Blue, please get this right...

This really is good news and a hat tip to Heljan for revisiting the 86, I know it will cost them a few quid in tooling, but Bachmann did it with the 37 and they appear to have sold well since.

• RMweb Gold

A much better decision than another class 25.

A Hornby 86 could be years away... the Grange is 10 years old and theyve still to put a Manor chassis on it, the Rebuilt Scot is even older and no Original Scot. Looking closely at the seams of the Original MN chassis block, i see no clues towards and a very big clue against them reusing parts of this tooling towards a new rebuilt MN. Hornby has a good record of reserving potential variations on a tooling, but not moving forwards for many many years. The logic is business sound, sweat the tooling for all its worth... the 87 is Brand new, they may as well get a decade of variants from it before moving on to the 86.

A Heljan 86 re-issue makes a lot of sense, especially given all the new tooled stock for them to pull. I wonder if this puts a Blue 27 and more 58’s in sight too ?

Edited by adb968008

This announcement may have the unintended result of flushing out whether Hornby are developing an 86. They have done early announcements before where a rival announces a product that they are also developing. The last time IIRC was the Hattons King announcement.

This certainly does annoy me a bit. When it comes to a Class 86 and if Heljan and Hornby were in the pool, I'll opt straight away for Hornby because of Heljan's track record. Heljan's first attempt at a Class 86 was a total disaster. Not only was there issues with the basic body shape and details, they managed to make a mess of the liveries also. If it's going to be a half-hearted attempt, then I am not to be very happy nor will I part with any money.

I'd prefer Heljan to fully re-tool the body and re-issue the model.

I was genuinely worried about Heljan's intentions to update their Class 86, I did contact Heljan about it out of concern and Ben Jones has been kind enough to reply... I hope this gives people more of an idea of what's to come.

Thanks for the info. We are fully aware of the issues and the model will have an entirely retooled body and pantograph.
  • Like 6