Heljan class 86

PM47079

They should consider selling the retooled bodies separately so we can swap them over on our older models, saving a fair bit of money.... 

Not unlikely that plain moulded bodies become available down the line, like my hoard of 26/0 bodies in grey that washed up at Warley a couple of years ago.

I'm intrigued by Ben's comments that the intention us to do an AL6/86/0 with the implication that this is to be the base model.  If that is the case, and if we surmise Hornby bring forward a new 86/2 (based on their revisiting existing historic models in their range) with the Flexicoil suspension, allowing them to also capture the 86/4 and the 86/1 with an 87 chassis, then they potentially could avoid duplication and still have plenty of mileage for livery variants.

It would probably wipe out my savings account as well

• Like 3

I don't consider the Heljan 86 to be as bad as some - and I grew up living and breathing them. Compared to something like, for example, a Trix Western, it's a masterclass. Still, a retooled model will be hugely appreciated, especially if they do an 86/0 (which will also allow an 86/3). Here's my box brownie pic of an ex works 86 327 taken on my way to school in the early 1980s to whet your appetites:

post-549-0-05653700-1539297229_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 11

In the case of Heljan's original 86, I disagree.

Some body inaccuracies can be re-engineered. Detail can be added.

My issue with Heljan's original 86 was that the fronts were the wrong shape. I cannot remember exactly what but it was enough to make it look wrong & I could not work out how to fix it.

My reaction was to not buy any...

I'd go with that, if that's what you see. I am in the same boat with:

Heljan's Brush 4, just looked too fat and correction - well - too much to do. Didn't buy. But skads were sold

Hornby's Brush 2, cab side window rendering hopelessly out (I think I have a correction now!). Didn't buy. But skads were sold

Hornby's Gresley coaches. Oh yuk, wrong shape entirely, just not feasible to correct. Didn't buy. But skads were sold

• RMweb Gold

I'd go with that, if that's what you see. I am in the same boat with:

Heljan's Brush 4, just looked too fat and correction - well - too much to do. Didn't buy. But skads were sold

Hornby's Brush 2, cab side window rendering hopelessly out (I think I have a correction now!). Didn't buy. But skads were sold

Hornby's Gresley coaches. Oh yuk, wrong shape entirely, just not feasible to correct. Didn't buy. But skads were sold

Skads ?

Is that a reverse Spad ?

Skads. Much used term in my youth for plenty, numerous. I was long ago told - on the other side of the North Sea - that the term may drive from a Herring like fish which shoaled in huge quantity and was enthusiastically fished by all the nations with easy access to what was then known as the German Ocean to such a degree that no one knows what it was exactly...

Signal killed at danger?

Signal knocked at danger?

• RMweb Premium

I know the Heljan 47 is fat , 2mm I believe, but I only know because someone pointed it out on here, or another forum. To me it looks pretty much like a class 47. I think I got mine , one of the un numbered blue ones , for £55 maybe 10 years ago . good bargain, great runner , looks the part.  The 86 , though even to me , just doesn't look right .  Good news if redoing and early ones appear.

Edited by Legend

I know the Heljan 47 is fat , 2mm I believe, but I only know because someone pointed it out on here, or another forum. To me it looks pretty much like a class 47. I think I got mine , one of the un numbered blue ones , for £55 maybe 10 years ago . good bargain, great runner , looks the part. The 86 , though even to me , just doesn't look right . Good news if redoing and early ones appear.

I must add...I never noticed the Heljan Class 47 being 2mm wider also. What did bother me was the squarer windshields and the incorrect horizontal handrail on the face of the loco which was too wide and too thick.

Personally I think they should have another go at the OO gauge Class 47

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else; from the BRM interview with Ben Jones...

"One model we are looking at again is the Class 86. The original version wasn't perfect, so we're addressing areas such as the pantograph and some of the body details and backdating it to produce an original 'AL6' or Class 86/0 for the 1960's to early-1980s period".

No indication of timescale, but encouraging news.

Any scan/screenshot/picture of that article?

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• 3 weeks later...

an 86/0?   that would be great.   WCML modellers will flock if we get this plus 86/2 86/3 86/4 variants in blue and executive etc.....

that chassis is one of the best but the droopy couplings should also be addressed too.

the underframe equipment could be a bit fragile but that's the least of the models concerns.

finally AC motive power is getting some real column inches now...…...

• Like 2

an 86/0?   that would be great.   WCML modellers will flock if we get this plus 86/2 86/3 86/4 variants in blue and executive etc.....

that chassis is one of the best but the droopy couplings should also be addressed too.

the underframe equipment could be a bit fragile but that's the least of the models concerns.

finally AC motive power is getting some real column inches now...……

dontpanic

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 2

with all the activity at Hattons I contacted Dave a few months back to suggest they possibly look at an 86 retool in association with Heljan as the basic model is so good but just needs some tittyvating to the bodyshell.........

I wonder now then...................

Excellent news, I'll be having one or three if they're up to scratch.

I know I keep banging on about this but I really, really hope the original liveried ones are in the correct shade ie Rail Blue rather than Electric Blue... Heljan, please get this right!

BR Blue is stated above, so it looks as though they will.

Edited by E3109