Advice for someone thinking of starting modelling American

Jerry1975

Is there much difference between the U.S. Way of doing things to Canadian?

Most stuff, no, but some stuff yes.

They are two different countries so federal regulations differ (air brake rules, hazmat rules, hours of service) .  Some of the differences are minor, some are significant (I don't think Canada has an hours of service law like the US.)  Others are pretty obscure (I think that lead locomotives in Canada have to be equipped with a hot plate, but that might be a labor contract requirement).  I know we couldn't lead a US locomotive on some trains into Canada.

The Rock Island Line (which was a mighty fine line) was one of the few that named some locos. I have a model that carries the number 4345 but it has an incorrect name. I must get round to giving it the correct name as it must be one of the best names given to a loco.

See http://www.arkansasrailroadhistory.com/ROCK-named/ROCK-named-diesels.html for a list of named locos

The Rock named a series of GP38-2's (although their number was still the identification used by the railroads.)  Many of those units were later sold to the MP/UP after Rock went belly up.  We had one on a work train I was on in Oklahoma in the summer of 1980.

Edited by dave1905
  • Like 1

One Canada-USA thing that might be an interasting detail for some operation schemes: Canada use to have a law that if a locomotive built outside Canada was inside Canada for more than x hours (Not sure how many it was, 48 maybe?) then the railroad had to pay duties as if it had been imported permanently. I'm unsure if the USA had an equivalent law. The purpose of the law was of course to protect Canadian locomotive  building. 

So locomotives that did make the border crossing had to get back quick! And railroads like the Wabash bought engines from GMD and others to use in Canada. The N&W, which had no F-units before they bought the Wabash, keep the Canadian Fs into the 70s because of the problem of either having to buy new Canadian replacements or having to pay duties on reassigned older engines. 

I'm not sure when the law was lifted. Either by NAFTA or some time earlier. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Rock named a series of GP38-2's (although their number was still the identification used by the railroads.)  Many of those units were later sold to the MP/UP after Rock went belly up.  We had one on a work train I was on in Oklahoma in the summer of 1980.

ISTR that the Rock’s eventual bankruptcy in 1980, shutting down 8k miles of railway, was one of the biggest corporate failures in US history at that time. These days, after ENRON etc, that might seem trivial!

Transport Canada requires the lead unit on a mainline train to have Reset Safety Control (a driver vigilance device). When CN bought some ex-UP GEs a few years ago they ran them as trailing units until they were shopped and RSC was fitted- there a thread on this forum about them.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks again for all of your replies, I found the crossing of the Borders very interesting and also Hygiene etc.

Also I find the history of the railroads fascinating too, I am currently reading about the Navvies, who built the UK railways and I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good book / website to read about the American / Canadian Navvies, in some ways I guess most of the construction techniques will be similar.

I am now looking out for American stuff to build a layout, I find rummaging around in shops / model shops / toy fairs etc very enjoyable and you can sometimes come away with some very good bargains.

I have a liking for American vehicles so I am gathering a collection of those, motorcycles and corvettes being a favorite also big rigs.

I would love to go across the pond but medical problems prevent me from flying and it's a long way to swim!

Thanks once again everyone.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

I will be building a small layout about 50's - 60's like Steve says using 40ft cars mainly and a small to medium size shunting locomotive/switcher but any information is useful as I find it all very interesting and I also like reading about the history and operations of different railroads / periods.

Rodshaw, do you have any photos of your layout ( forgive me if I missed it on here ).

What are EMD's please?

Currently thinking of a warehouse with 2-3 spots for box cars and a siding for an other industry possibly a third, see how it goes once I start building it.

Thanks again Everyone.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry, my HO layout is described here, though I've sold it on now: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/newsforyou/yorkfordpa.htm

Among other things, you'll notice the rail bumpers, made out of matchsticks.

The vast majority of the stock came from ebay and I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap most of it was, though I think prices have risen in the last year or two.

I'm building a new US layout in TT, a nice scale but I definitely wouldn't recommend it for starting off, if only because there's not much available and it can be hard work getting all the bits together. The thread for that is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125680-a-us-switching-layout-in-tt/

Rod

• RMweb Gold

I have a liking for American vehicles so I am gathering a collection of those, motorcycles and corvettes being a favorite also big rigs.

That may be the solution for defining your era.

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good book / website to read about the American / Canadian Navvies, in some ways I guess most of the construction techniques will be similar.

Pierre Berton, a Canadian writer of 'popular history' wrote several books about the planning, financing and construction of the Canadian Pacific transcontinental. 'The Last Spike' is the one most concerned with the actual construction. I enjoy Berton's writing.

'Nothing Like It in the World' by Stephen Ambrose is about the building of the first US transcontinental - the Union Pacific/Central Pacific route. I found it interesting, but I've seen differing reviews of it.

Pierre Berton, a Canadian writer of 'popular history' wrote several books about the planning, financing and construction of the Canadian Pacific transcontinental. 'The Last Spike' is the one most concerned with the actual construction. I enjoy Berton's writing.

'Nothing Like It in the World' by Stephen Ambrose is about the building of the first US transcontinental - the Union Pacific/Central Pacific route. I found it interesting, but I've seen differing reviews of it.

The Pierre Berton books on Canadian Pacific were the basis of a TV series " The National Dream" many years ago and the paperback combined volume I have used stills from it for illustrations.

Maybe it will be resuscitated on dvd someday.

Incidentally I dabbled in blue box Athearn kits for a while and have a fair collection to this day!

• RMweb Premium

divergent:

When The National Dream (the Last Spike) was being shown on TV, my boss's 4-year old son asked "Why do you call this the Railway Show, daddy?"  The first half seemed to take place entirely in parliament.

Hi Everyone.

I have started taking more interest in railroads now when I watch films, programs etc.

I remember a layout which was a wagon repair yard/depot which had a starsky and hutch theme to it but I forget what it was called.

I think I will be modelling in 50's-60's era but maybe stretch it a bit.

I'm looking forward to some shows near me and will be on the look out for goodies.

Thanks again everyone.

Jerry.

Found on another forum - may be of use to you

"Both Atlas and Athearn have produced a number of shortline locomotives. Common shortline locomotives include GP38, GP38-2, GP7, GP9, SW1500, GP15, GP35, B23-7. Intermountain's new GP10 will also feature several shortlines"

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry I hope you enjoy your new venture into American railroad modelling and I'm certain you will have no problems as your modelling skills are brilliant. Will be looking forward to see what you plan to model.:)

Hi Everyone.

I have been reading about team tracks and short lines, also looking at American layouts to get some ideas for my next layout.

I'm quite taken by industries in cramped places and i also like the idea of something simple too.

Over the next two weeks there are a couple of shows near me so I will be going to look at the American layouts ( and others ) and browsing the trade / second hand stalls for things so I can start my new layout.

I question i have is what type of magnets do you need for kadee couplers and where would I get them from? Could i use magnets you can buy from d.i.y stores for example?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jerry.

• RMweb Gold

I question i have is what type of magnets do you need for kadee couplers and where would I get them from? Could i use magnets you can buy from d.i.y stores for example?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jerry.

I don't muck about - I use Kadee's own magnets - mainly undertrack for US HO ( you never get the planning spot on and may need new magnets once you start playing and between the rails when use them on BR stuff which had steel axles in most cases.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Kadee's magnets are set to pull across the tracks -- the poles are beside the rails to pull the pins sieways. They are also made the right thickness to lie down between the rails.

I've experimented with some little high-powered magnets but didn't have much success.

I think someone else (the Bman?) may make magnets for their version.

Hi Jerry. To keep things simple it's best to start with the Kadee #321 uncoupling ramp. This can be simply glued on top of Peco Code 100 and with a little adjustment will be the correct height for uncoupling.

You should be able to buy  them from Hattons or similar model shops. It's also worth buying a Kadee height gauge and couplers must be correctly set ro work properly.

https://kadee.com/htmbord/page321.htm

https://kadee.com/htmbord/page205.htm

Mal